Another New Rod Thread…

tincatim

Site Supporter
I need to buy a new float rod next week, as I’m now down to just a long trotting rod and my Avon feeder rod. This one will be for float fishing still waters, for a mix of silvers, tench and carp. I appreciate that two rods would be best, one for silvers and one with more backbone for the carp. So as I’m only buying one for now, I’m happy to go why a light-ish pellet waggler style of rod. The rod I broke last month was a Browning 11ft Commercial King, this handled carp up to double figures easily and I rarely bumped smaller fish off.

So which rod am I buying? I’ve identified a few options, mainly from reading the plethora of threads on here on the same subject. I only want to spend around £60.

These are:

Daiwa Ninja 11ft pellet waggler
Shimano Aero X1 11ft pellet waggler
Greys Torean 10ft 6 float rod
Shimano Forcemaster 11ft
Drennan Vertex 11ft pellet waggler

I’ll got and have a waggle of some but I just wondered if anyone has any of these rods, and could tell me what they’re like?

tincatim

Site Supporter
What's wrong with your existing Avon/Feeder rod when in Avon mode ?
I have used it for floater fishing for carp before, it works fine for that. But I’m looking for something with a bit more finesse, something I can fish a normal waggler with for a mixed bag. Plus I tend to keep it made up with a Shimano bait runner for barbel/chub fishing. I’m (very slowly) building two separate kits for rivers and lakes.

solwood

Site Supporter
The fact that you are looking at 11ft rods makes a pellet waggler most likely

If you were happy to go longer and second hand a mk 1 drennan tench float would be good

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I have a Darent Valley 11' 1 lb TC rod. For my fishing I find it perfect.

tincatim

Site Supporter
The fact that you are looking at 11ft rods makes a pellet waggler most likely

If you were happy to go longer and second hand a mk 1 drennan tench float would be good
I’m not opposed to longer, 12ft would be fine but there’s not many of those Drennan Tench rods around for what I want to spend these days.

JRW

Site Supporter
I've got two of the rods on your list. The Ninja and the Forcemaster AX . Both are fine for what they were designed for. Neither are soft enough for silvers. If you're determined to go for a pellet waggler, the Ninja is softer and would be better than the Forcemaster for smaller fish. However a much better option would be to take the advice from Trotter2