Another new pole

Ad84

Hi all,

First post here, have read a lot but now I am upgrading my pole. I currently have an MTX 1 have had it now for 3yrs and love it but would
like a little more and time to upgrade, worth mentioning I will keep the Matrix for snaggy days.

I fish mainly commercials where carp reach 15lbs but do also fish river and canals my matrix feels heavy and bouncy at full length over time hence the time to upgrade.

My best choices as I see are:
Daiwa Whisker X
Superium X70
Browning Z8-3
Maver MV-R2

I appreciate it’s down to opinion and especially with the Maver it’s only just been released I will be hitting some pole alleys next Friday but looking more for experience with above of anyone can shed some light on poles they’ve owned or own. Would much prefer a pole that can do everything appreciate that really snaggy pegs maybe a big ask hence the keeping of the Matrix but handling 15lb is a must.

Thank you all

FishingNewbie

Hi all,

First post here, have read a lot but now I am upgrading my pole. I currently have an MTX 1 have had it now for 3yrs and love it but would
like a little more and time to upgrade, worth mentioning I will keep the Matrix for snaggy days.

I fish mainly commercials where carp reach 15lbs but do also fish river and canals my matrix feels heavy and bouncy at full length over time hence the time to upgrade.

My best choices as I see are:
Daiwa Whisker X
Superium X70
Browning Z8-3
Maver MV-R2

I appreciate it’s down to opinion and especially with the Maver it’s only just been released I will be hitting some pole alleys next Friday but looking more for experience with above of anyone can shed some light on poles they’ve owned or own. Would much prefer a pole that can do everything appreciate that really snaggy pegs maybe a big ask hence the keeping of the Matrix but handling 15lb is a must.

Thank you all
As you've already got an MTX1 for carping (and plan to keep it), it may be consider the outgoing MTX3, reduced from £1399 to £949.
Then you'd have the luxury of the same top kits fit both poles, plus back-up sections as a temporary solution if you damage a section.

There are people on here that follow a similar principle with the Z8/9-3 and have the extreme margin/2ex-s as the tough back-up.

Ad84

As you've already got an MTX1 for carping (and plan to keep it), it may be consider the outgoing MTX3, reduced from £1399 to £949.
Then you'd have the luxury of the same top kits fit both poles, plus back-up sections as a temporary solution if you damage a section.

There are people on here that follow a similar principle with the Z8/9-3 and have the extreme margin/2ex-s as the tough back-up.
I have thought of this even the new MTX 3 V2 incoming but believe the poles listed will be even better quality and the new range of MTX poles on the same mandrel guarantee me spares for the future. Would like a bit more at longer lengths unfortunately the new MTX 4 is a little over my budget

FishingNewbie

I have thought of this even the new MTX 3 V2 incoming but believe the poles listed will be even better quality and the new range of MTX poles on the same mandrel guarantee me spares for the future. Would like a bit more at longer lengths unfortunately the new MTX 4 is a little over my budget
I have not seen/heard anything to be certain the V2's are better, but the new MTX3 v2 definitely costs 58% more that the outgoing can be picked up for.

Not sure what you mean by "Would like a bit more at longer lengths unfortunately the new MTX 4 is a little over my budget"? MTX3&4 are both 16m.

Ad84

I have not seen/heard anything to be certain the V2's are better, but the new MTX3 v2 definitely costs 58% more that the outgoing can be picked up for.

Not sure what you mean by "Would like a bit more at longer lengths unfortunately the new MTX 4 is a little over my budget"? MTX3&4 are both 16m.
I mean more quality not length, there’s quite the divide over the strength of the MTX 3 the new version is said to have had key areas improved strength being one of them. But the MTX 4 is coming in a little over budget

FishingNewbie

I mean more quality not length, there’s quite the divide over the strength of the MTX 3 the new version is said to have had key areas improved strength being one of them. But the MTX 4 is coming in a little over budget
Still not quite sure what you mean. It would then read... "Would like a bit more at longer length quality unfortunately the new MTX 4 is a little over my budget"

Anyway, not to worry. Have a look at the video below and then consider that if there really is such a divide between the old & new versions, with strength improved in key areas, then it must be amazing! Although that could just be marketing Jedi mind tricks to counter rumours of breakages on the old version.

Ad84

Still not quite sure what you mean. It would then read... "Would like a bit more at longer length quality unfortunately the new MTX 4 is a little over my budget"

Anyway, not to worry. Have a look at the video below and then consider that if there really is such a divide between the old & new versions, with strength improved in key areas, then it must be amazing! Although that could just be marketing Jedi mind tricks to counter rumours of breakages on the old version.

It would read more quality at longer lengths, the poles listed would have this I believe, I appreciate that brands will big up their products and there is no doubt the MTX 3 has sold well. My original post just to clarify stated experience so if someone has one of the mentioned poles would love to hear there experience open to other suggestions but rather than just a suggestion some feedback of the pole in use would be great!

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
I’ve had a z8-2 and now a z9-3 which I’ve had since they were released
Both poles poker stiff at 13m at 14.5 the z9-3 just that tiny bit better at 16m definitely better, z9 fishable at 16 but you know your holding it .I use mine for all size carp
It’s not as light as other flagship poles but I guarantee it’s stronger never had a 3 or 4 break as most others do
What would I buy if I didn’t have the z9-3
1. Sphere pt
2.guru 900
3.air z

If it’s carp you fish for the z8-3 is perfect for you

JLK

Do not buy the mtx3. You'll regret it.
However. The new mtx poles are supposed to be so much better than the mk1s so probably definitely worth a look at 👍🏻

JLK

There were anglers all over reporting issues with the number 3s snapping.
I don't use social media but look at Facebook and see what you can find on there.

Whisker

Here, there and everywhere.
Site Supporter
Yup, there are a lot of MTX’s for sale which raises suspicions… now I know why.

FishingNewbie

Yup, there are a lot of MTX’s for sale which raises suspicions… now I know why.
Where's all these MTX3's for sale then? Can't see many 2nd hand on eBay. The reduction in the new price is to clear them as the new v2 version arrives. You'd struggle to sell the outgoing model at the same price if the new one if the new one is allegedly much better! It's common practice to clear the old models out to avoid overlapping stock with the new one, otherwise they'd be stuck with them and have to sell them even cheaper.

There's lots of Daiwas on eBay - must be because they all break! :rolleyes:

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Where's all these MTX3's for sale then? Can't see many 2nd hand on eBay. The reduction in the new price is to clear them as the new v2 version arrives. You'd struggle to sell the outgoing model at the same price if the new one if the new one is allegedly much better! It's common practice to clear the old models out to avoid overlapping stock with the new one, otherwise they'd be stuck with them and have to sell them even cheaper.

Always plenty of them on marketplace/ Facebook sites 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Just saying 🤣

Whisker

Here, there and everywhere.
Site Supporter

As with any pole, you’ll find it’s fans and people with bad experiences. I’ve seen a fair few MTX’s on FB, more than any other pole recently, hence my comment.

FishingNewbie

That's great but it doesn't explicitly mean that all the MTX3's for sale are because they break, unless they're all being sold as spares and repairs. I only know of one person with one. He has never broken his and has spoken to several people that have them and they don't know anyone that's broken them either. He's so pleased with his pole that he's selling it to replace it with the new MTXv3. It's only since the new model has come out that the old model has become on offer. When a pole is so popular, you are sure to hear about more breakages.

JLK

You are correct it doesn't. The only way to find out if there is any substance in the comments above is to buy one and use it and see for yourself. 👍🏻