another legend dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin.

Account Locked
it has just been given out that Barry Sheene on of the greatest motorbike racers ever died today aged 52 during 70s with his famous No7 despite several serious crashes he still was at the top & still riding.
he used to live just outside wisbech & i had the pleasure of meeting him off the track a few times as well as watching him race
Barry Sheen RIP

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

fishfinger

it's a sad day for racing and for his many fans,it was a shock when i saw it on the news as i had grown up with the name barry sheene and then watching him,i can still remember wanting to be him and want the number 7 on my pushbike,truly a sad day[:(][:(][:(]

the fishing pixies tell me to go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
When my kid brother was born there was an argument between my big brother & me, i wanted him to be called Barry & kevin wanted him to be called James (after james hunt).

Barrie James is now 26 so guess who won [:D]

I had a copy of an x-ray taken of Barry sheenes legs, it looked like an electrical pylon that you see in the farmers fields, the guy had that many plates & pins in his legs he used to set off the security devices at all the airports.

RIP Barry enjoy your well earned rest mate.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

Lid

I watched Barry race in September 2001 at the Goodwood revival festival. He gently coasted round the course behind the leaders every lap until the end. On the last lap he started riding and simply trashed the opposition, although he still made it look close. A gifted racer in a class of his own and another sad loss to all.

Lid [:)]

Ian C

In the seventies I went to Silverstone and went round the paddock. There I was privaliged to meet Barry Sheene and Tom Heron (another great racer from the past who was killed in the NW200 in 1979).
They were two of the nicest people you could wish to meet and just talking to Barry you knew that this guy was something special!
Barry was the spark for my interest in motorbikes and racing, an interest which has lasted to this day.

RIP Barry.

Ian C

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Friday 12th April 1974.
I was 19 when i first met Barry Sheene in the paddock at Brands Hatch.
I'd gone up to watch the Transatlantic Trophy,a series of match races between Britain and America.
9am wandering around the paddock admiring all the bikes........
John Player Nortons,Kawasakis ,Triumphs etc,but the real attraction was the debut's of the new Suzukis & Yamahas in the hands of Barry Sheene & Kenny Roberts.
So there i was in the paddock when i'm flattened by some idiot running into me on a monkey bike!!!!!!!!!!Anyway he gets off the bike and helps me back up and it's Barry apologising profusely and trying to dust me down.He took me back to his caravan,made me a tea offered me a Gauloise..uuuuuugh, signed my programme and gave me a pair of his race gloves.

Here's the page he signed,quite a rare photo as it shows him with a number 17 plate as opposed to his famous number 7..........

Subsequently i met him a number of times over the years,at various tracks,and even had the pleasure of being driven round Snetterton by him in the Toyota Supra that he raced in the British Touring Car Championship after he packed in bikes.He always remained the same happy cheerfull bloke despite his success.
A true Superstar who will be sorely missed.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Status
Not open for further replies.