Another 'heads up'

JayD

With me being a bit of a cynical old Ludite, who doesn't do financial transactions on line, I'm not sure how common/relevant this is.

I've just had a phone call, and a female voice said, 'Hi there, this is just a reminder that your Amazon Prime subscription is due, and £79 has been taken from your account. If you want to cancel, or discuss this, please press 1'.
We don't have an Amazon Prime account so I hung up. I warned my son, and my daughter, who both do have accounts, and was told that Amazon don't phone about accounts, so it looks like my suspicions were correct.
If anyone does have an account, it must be tempting to find out more after a call like that.
If it sounds remotely suspicious, then I always hang up. A couple of times it's been something legit, but I prefer to act on the safe side.

John.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
We've had regular emails about it but never a phone call. We do have an Amazon Prime account but the last email we got, we knew we'd already paid it & sussed it as a scam.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
I had an automated call about this on Saturday. I dont have Amazon anything so just hung up

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I had the same phone call about two weeks ago, l just hung up as we dont have amazon accounts. Scam 100 percent

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I get regular spam emails from amazon, Netflix, eBay even after reporting as spam, knack with those is to look at the email address that sent it to you. It’s usually suspicious. Slightly more difficult on the phone but I’d be suspicious of any calls like that.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Had an automated phone call from ‘ supposedly ‘ HMRC yesterday saying that myself and my solicitor must take this demand seriously. I’ve told them that I’ll pay this invoice when my newly found uncle who is the king of Botswana ‘ would you believe ‘ pays me the 50 million dollars he’s sending over. ???

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
I'm the same as Zerkalo with emails. With phone calls these days if we don't recognise the number we let it go to the answer phone, anything or anyone that's a scam never leave a message and ring off.

TonyA

Site Supporter
No, its a scam. By pressing the button you are lock into a premium number.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
This scam has been doing the rounds for some time. I find the recorded message is such poor quality I can hardly make out what is being said anyway. But then I rarely, and only by mistake answer calls from unknown numbers. If its genuine I will call back after listening to the answerphone.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Had an automated phone call from ‘ supposedly ‘ HMRC yesterday saying that myself and my solicitor must take this demand seriously. I’ve told them that I’ll pay this invoice when my newly found uncle who is the king of Botswana ‘ would you believe ‘ pays me the 50 million dollars he’s sending over. ???
Never knew we were related, Mick.

rudd

Site Supporter
Remember PPI, got hassled for years, didnt have a clue, wrote letters to banks where accounts/loans/cards etc held or previously held. Received a pay out from one!

Now get - regarding your accident / paypal/ ebay/ hmrc at least one a week!

On work email multiple rubbish daily as my details are public!

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I like the ones that tell you to claim for the accident you had last year and then argue with you when you tell them you didn't have one.