Another Great Thames Trotting Roach Bag

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
After day off yesterday to look at some new venues I was back on the Thames today again on the sandford old channel but in a new perfect for trotting looking swim that I’ve been waiting to be free for a couple weeks. For the first time in a good fortnight save for a couple spells of wind and drizzle the weather was spot on being warm, dry, overcast and calm and it ended up being another brilliant session even better than the good one last week!

I started about 8 on maggot and had the usual dozen bleak quickly before switching to hemp just after 8.30 and fished it until I packed up a 2.30. In that time I added another handful of bleak but more importantly 58 good roach, 6 small silver bream, 5 respectable dace and 4 decent chublet. Average size was good enough that I’d say I had pretty close to 20lb so I’m feeling very pleased now and chuffed that I proved to myself that last weeks catch wasn’t a fluke. On a side note I got my ticket and licence checked by two bailiffs today so after no checks in over 15 years that’s 5 in a fortnight!

As usual all fish were caught on the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the drennan 7 series 3000 float reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1.5g drennan loaded crystal insert to a size 18 to 2.5lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon. This was set up to just trip the bottom in about 5ft of water. Most the bleak were on single maggot with everything else on a single grain of hemp over loose feed of just hemp. They were feeding positively today with most bites off the bottom and they came off two lines one being about 1/4 and one being 1/3 of the way across.

My grandad was with me again and despite the perfect float conditions he wasted the first half of the day on the feeder for nothing before finally switching to the float and having maybe 30 odd fish made up of a fairly even mix of the same species as me.

All in all it was another great day that was right up there with one of my best ever. It’s been great really getting amongst the Thames roach on hemp again this summer and hopefully I have a few more great sessions over the next couple months. I just love trotting for roach not much beats it! Will have another day off tomorrow as meeting up with a couple mates but the plan is to be back on the bank Friday for another go.

Pretty picture heavy today with one of the swim plus a bunch of roach showing the stamp/size range and a stamp
chublet.
1594827214606.jpeg
1594827296505.jpeg
1594827329049.jpeg
1594827343114.jpeg
1594827357896.jpeg
1594827383988.jpeg
1594827394839.jpeg
1594827407196.jpeg
1594827464867.jpeg

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
On another side note I've just found out that swim produces the odd endangered species that is the oxfordshire barbel which probably explains why I've struggled to get in it before lol

Last edited:

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
After day off yesterday to look at some new venues I was back on the Thames today again on the sandford old channel but in a new perfect for trotting looking swim that I’ve been waiting to be free for a couple weeks. For the first time in a good fortnight save for a couple spells of wind and drizzle the weather was spot on being warm, dry, overcast and calm and it ended up being another brilliant session even better than the good one last week!

I started about 8 on maggot and had the usual dozen bleak quickly before switching to hemp just after 8.30 and fished it until I packed up a 2.30. In that time I added another handful of bleak but more importantly 58 good roach, 6 small silver bream, 5 respectable dace and 4 decent chublet. Average size was good enough that I’d say I had pretty close to 20lb so I’m feeling very pleased now and chuffed that I proved to myself that last weeks catch wasn’t a fluke. On a side note I got my ticket and licence checked by two bailiffs today so after no checks in over 15 years that’s 5 in a fortnight!

As usual all fish were caught on the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the drennan 7 series 3000 float reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1.5g drennan loaded crystal insert to a size 18 to 2.5lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon. This was set up to just trip the bottom in about 5ft of water. Most the bleak were on single maggot with everything else on a single grain of hemp over loose feed of just hemp. They were feeding positively today with most bites off the bottom and they came off two lines one being about 1/4 and one being 1/3 of the way across.

My grandad was with me again and despite the perfect float conditions he wasted the first half of the day on the feeder for nothing before finally switching to the float and having maybe 30 odd fish made up of a fairly even mix of the same species as me.

All in all it was another great day that was right up there with one of my best ever. It’s been great really getting amongst the Thames roach on hemp again this summer and hopefully I have a few more great sessions over the next couple months. I just love trotting for roach not much beats it! Will have another day off tomorrow as meeting up with a couple mates but the plan is to be back on the bank Friday for another go.

Pretty picture heavy today with one of the swim plus a bunch of roach showing the stamp/size range and a stamp
chublet.
1594827214606.jpeg
1594827296505.jpeg
1594827329049.jpeg
1594827343114.jpeg
1594827357896.jpeg
1594827383988.jpeg
1594827394839.jpeg
1594827407196.jpeg
1594827464867.jpeg
Cracking Roach those.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They are indeed, they're coming out pretty consistently this month luckily for me :)

david white

Site Supporter
Another great account of a decent days proper fishing
At the risk of telling granny how to suck eggs those roach have probably been foraging on barbel pellet feed could well be worth trying a hooked pellet amongst the hemp and tares

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks David and yes another good day indeed.

And yep grandads already stuck some halibut pellets in his bag to try next time out so I’ll see how he gets on then maybe try it myself.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Nice session mate, I'm itching to get back on the river and make the most of the red fin sport up here on the Trent. The first frosts arrive all too soon and the silvers just melt away never to be seen till the following year which is sad as winter roach sport used to be great on the Trent when the power station hot water was going in and the river held colour.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks Ian was another good session for sure. Get yourself back out there mate we’re only a month into the season you should have a good 3 months on them yet!

After properly getting going in July the silvers generally stick around on the Thames until October sometimes November in a warm year but then seemingly vanish from most stretches in the winter. If I want to catch silvers in the winter I have to go on the Ouse or warks Avon as they don’t seem so hard to track down on those smaller rivers.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yep trotting for good bags of roach is pretty near the pinnacle of coarse angling for me :) Was thinking about it last night and I think the only thing that would beat it for me would be trotting for good numbers of good sized chub but that isn’t terribly likely around here lol

adriang

Site Supporter
Yep trotting for good bags of roach is pretty near the pinnacle of coarse angling for me :) Was thinking about it last night and I think the only thing that would beat it for me would be trotting for good numbers of good sized chub but that isn’t terribly likely around here lol
I'm thinking about taking a (long) day trip to the Wye..

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yep got to be wye, Severn, stour etc for that sort of fishing hasn’t it. I hoping to do a long weekend on one or the other once the summer rush is over.

bluemack

Site Supporter
There used to be shoals of big chub on the Tadpole/Rushey stretch a few years ago,have they disappeared or is it too far from you?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m not sure as I don’t venture that far up. I think there are just generally bigger numbers of chub upstream of about farmoor and I have joined another club with waters up there but they don’t have great access so aren’t fished much so there’s not many swims. By comparison access on my main clubs stretches is easy. There must be a decent head of adult chub around oxford as there’s loads of chublet but they don’t seem to get caught in any numbers.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Nice session mate, I'm itching to get back on the river and make the most of the red fin sport up here on the Trent. The first frosts arrive all too soon and the silvers just melt away never to be seen till the following year which is sad as winter roach sport used to be great on the Trent when the power station hot water was going in and the river held colour.
When I lived in Nottingham - some 20 years ago - it was the same after the first frosts ie very hard. The best place in winter was on the embankment steps directly outside the City Ground. Hemp was the bait of choice fished at 7 to 9 mtrs on the pole. Some great sessions in bitterly cold weather & you could park pretty much behind you. Things may well have changed now though....