Another Good Thames Trotting Roach Bag

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well after 4 days off for the weekend and bad weather I got back out on the Thames on the sandford old channel today. A closed lane on the A34 led to a late arrival which meant my new favourite swim that I’ve had some good sessions from in last couple weeks was occupied. This meant I ended up in the previous favourite that I’d been in the couple weeks before but I wasn’t bothered as that had been pretty successful as well. Conditions were good with it warm with no no wind or rain and whilst it was bright early on it soon clouded over so it ended up a pretty good day again.

I started on maggot about 8.15 and had about 10 bleak on maggot by 8.40 at which point I made the switch to hemp. I just had the occasional fish in the bright sun up until about 10 when it clouded over and from then until about 2 when it slowed up when the sun came back out it was steady action and I packed up at about 2.40. In that time I had 44 decent roach, a single decent dace and another handful of bleak so a good day on the roach front if bit quiet on the other species. I’d guess it would have probably totalled around 10-11lb.

As usual all fish were caught on the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the drennan 7 series 3000 float reel loaded with 3lb maxima to initially a 1g drennan loaded crystal insert which I soon swapped to a 1.5g to a drennan silverfish size 18 to 2.5lb hook to nylon. This was set up just off the bottom in about 6ft of water and I fished two lines about 1/3 and 1/2 the way across stream which were equally productive although fish wouldn’t come far off the bottom. Everything fell to single hemp hookbait over loose feed of just hemp save for the initial burst of bleak on single red maggot.

All in all whilst it probably would have been a great session save for that early sun it was still definitely another good session that was really enjoyable. The Thames has certainly been productive for good roach bags more often than not in July so hopefully that continues into August. Looks a bit hot and bright over the next couple days which isn’t ideal for fishing but I’ll probably try get a morning session in one day or the other.

Standard pics of the swim and a handful of roach to show the stamp/size range.
1596047291019.jpeg
1596047300431.jpeg
1596047310950.jpeg
1596047320901.jpeg
1596047330533.jpeg
1596047339220.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Had a morning session before the worst of the heat today that wasn’t really worth it’s own report so I’ll just stick it in here. Conditions were about as bad as you could get being stinking hot but worse still a very strong wind slightly upstream and towards the bank that was so strong it actually stopped the float going downstream at times let alone dragged it towards me. That was rather annoying as despite the heat the fish were feeding reasonably well just that wind meant that most trots were going astray and most bites were missed lol.

I started about 8 on maggot as usual and had 10 bleak by 8.30 when I switched to hemp. I stuck with it until 10.30 in which time I had a couple more bleak, 13 decent roach, a small silver bream and hybrid of nearly 2lb that stopped my heart temporarily before I realised it wasn’t a roach! If I’d fished on even with the wind I reckon I probably could have put together a good bag but by that time it was simply too hot (must have been close to 30) to put in the extra exertion that trotting in such an awkward wind brings so I switched to the less physical option of the feeder. This was about as hopeless as I expected with just another couple bleak, another small silver bream and a bumped decent chublet and I packed up at 12 with the temperature now over 30.

All in all bit if a frustrating morning with the flipping wind as fish were feeding better than I expected in the heat it was just that I couldn’t fish properly lol. That rounds out julys roach campaign which has brought more good days than bad so it has been very enjoyable. I’ll take the weekend off now then Monday’s supposed to bring some much needed rain so I’ll be back out again Tuesday.

Few roach pics as usual.
1596198253594.jpeg
1596198263999.jpeg
1596198289561.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks mate they are indeed nice fish. Might do a campaign summary thread now I’m home earlier than usual with not much else to do haha

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I am rather addicted to them currently! Planning to mix my fishing up a bit in August but I suspect more often than not I’ll still be after roach.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thanks mate they are indeed nice fish. Might do a campaign summary thread now I’m home earlier than usual with not much else to do haha
Just take care if you do go for another roach session. Its mega warm out there. Don't forget an hat pal. ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looking more sensible temperatures over the next couple weeks more 20-25 rather than the crazy 30 plus today! Better weather for fishing and health lol

Rick123

Site Supporter
Had a morning session before the worst of the heat today that wasn’t really worth it’s own report so I’ll just stick it in here. Conditions were about as bad as you could get being stinking hot but worse still a very strong wind slightly upstream and towards the bank that was so strong it actually stopped the float going downstream at times let alone dragged it towards me. That was rather annoying as despite the heat the fish were feeding reasonably well just that wind meant that most trots were going astray and most bites were missed lol.

I started about 8 on maggot as usual and had 10 bleak by 8.30 when I switched to hemp. I stuck with it until 10.30 in which time I had a couple more bleak, 13 decent roach, a small silver bream and hybrid of nearly 2lb that stopped my heart temporarily before I realised it wasn’t a roach! If I’d fished on even with the wind I reckon I probably could have put together a good bag but by that time it was simply too hot (must have been close to 30) to put in the extra exertion that trotting in such an awkward wind brings so I switched to the less physical option of the feeder. This was about as hopeless as I expected with just another couple bleak, another small silver bream and a bumped decent chublet and I packed up at 12 with the temperature now over 30.

All in all bit if a frustrating morning with the flipping wind as fish were feeding better than I expected in the heat it was just that I couldn’t fish properly lol. That rounds out julys roach campaign which has brought more good days than bad so it has been very enjoyable. I’ll take the weekend off now then Monday’s supposed to bring some much needed rain so I’ll be back out again Tuesday.

Few roach pics as usual.
1596198253594.jpeg
1596198263999.jpeg
1596198289561.jpeg

It's the same fish in every picture and its :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: name is Eric, you take it home and bring it back, I know? Seriously a nice post buddy, but that bright sun can be a real pain in the ass. Cracking photos, nice quality.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Haha yeah he’s kept in a bowl in my tackle bag!

And thanks mate glad you in enjoyed. If you enjoyed this one there’s quite a few similar reports on here, some with bit better results some a bit worse, as I spent all of July targeting roach across about a dozen sessions. Was really good fun on the better days, if I recall my top 5 totals roach wise were 58, 56, 48, 44 and 42 with various numbers of dace, bream, chub and bleak mixed in. Almost all good stamp thanks to the hemp. Picked up a reasonable number of roach on a couple more recent more mixed bag sessions as well which are also reported on here.