Another Good Thames Roach Session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So I was back in my favourite swim on the sandford old channel today after vowing to book another day off to return this month after 3 really nice roach bags from it back in July. The river had nice flow and colour after Tuesdays rain and after a foggy start it turned into a lovely late summers day being warm and relatively calm with a mix of sun and cloud. So unsurprisingly it turned out to be another good session if one rather split in two.

Started fishing around 8.30 like usual and up until around 12 there was certainly plenty of fish caught before it slowed up in the afternoon before packing up around 3.30. Think the slow up was due mostly to a combination of small bait robbers and a couple pike that were far more aggressive than they usually are on this stretch. Possibly it going from very dark to quite bright might have had an effect as well as whilst my previous sessions have had bright conditions they were fairly stable in that rather than going from dark to light. Still I had enough fish in the morning to end up with another good bag as I’d say I had about 60 mostly good roach, 7 mostly small dace (suspect they were the bait robbers!) save for a couple better ones, 2 small silver bream and about 7 bleak. I’d say they’d certainly have accumulated over 15lb so right in amongst the bags I had from the swim in July which would have ranged from mid teens to low twenties so another good day in my book! Really is remarkably good spot proved there’s a bit of flow on and colour in the river and it’s not absolutely stinking hot it really does fish well through the summer.

Tackle wise waggler was by far the most successful approach as its tended be in summer conditions. That set up was the usual 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with a 2500 shimano sahara RD reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1.5G drennan loaded crystal insert to a size 18 to 2lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon. Did have a reasonable number of fish on the stick set up though which was the usual 14ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod again paired with a 2500 shimano sahara RD reel again loaded with 3lb maxima to 4x4 drennan stick again to a size 18 to 2lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon. Had to fish all over the peg today rather then the usual couple lines to both dodge the bait robbers and chase the fish after the pike kept moving them but I set up at roughly 5ft and didn’t alter it too much across the different lines so it ranged from on the bottom to maybe a foot off. Hook bait wise it was probably a 75/25 split between hemp and tares save for a few early bleak on caster. Loose feed was mostly just hemp with some tares added in the afternoon and groundbait was Blake baits roach a choc.

My grandad was with me again and caught at a similar rate to me on the waggler for the first and last thirds of the session either side of an almost barren middle third one the feeder. I’d say he had about 40 roach of a slighty smaller stamp than mine along with a few chublet, bleak and gudgeon for maybe 10lb at a push probably just under.

All in all whilst a slightly strange session given the easy morning and hard afternoon (there’s usually a bit of a difference but this was very stark!) it was certainly another good session with plenty of nice fish caught for another good bag. I think I’ll return for one last session there in October. Both to have the different vista from the summer greenery to the autumn colours and to see what shows up once the cooling water slows the bleak up to allow a more varied bait approach. Next session should be Saturday though which will be the last one of the summer as I believe the equinox taking us into autumn is on Wednesday. I think medley will likely be the venue as whilst I wouldn’t mind having another go on the new peg opposite the meadows that I did well on last Saturday it probably won’t fish that well there given it’s had a hammering from the Thames festival being on that stretch for 3 days this week. Hopefully goes well wherever I end up to round out the summer in style!

Pics today are again repetitive for those that read the 3 July reports but have at least added a dace to the roach for variety. Peg was quite different actually as the cows had been down there and trampled it so no gardening was required this time instead just a bit of dung dodging! Should have taken a pic whilst it was foggy really as was a bit spooky then could hardly see across the river.
1631811422767.jpeg
1631811469005.jpeg
1631811478735.jpeg
1631811494261.jpeg
1631811502512.jpeg
1631811510949.jpeg
1631811524405.jpeg
1631811533092.jpeg
1631811543036.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Really is remarkably good spot proved there’s a bit of flow on and colour in the river and it’s not absolutely stinking hot it really does fish well through the summer.
Obviously supposed to say “a remarkably” and “provided there’s a bit of flow on and colour in the river” some shoddy proof reading there!