Another float rod recommendation post....,

grey

Site Supporter
The Aristocrats are still superb rods. I updated a spliced Aristocrat with new reel seat and single leg fuji's for my friend and it still feels light and crisp alongside more modern rods!

My mate uses it for everything: roach, dace and chub on the Nene, stillwater bream on the waggler and carp to the low 20s which it handled quite comfortably (he certainly didn't run out of rod).

Not many rods of today that have enough build strength lower down and finesse in the tip to do that, as they tend to be built far closer to their fail-point to save weight.

alsur

Site Supporter
I’ve splashed out and gone with the Drennan matchpro ultralight
Got a 12ft matchpro myself use in mainly on River I really like it had Barbel and Chub to 3lb on it and it handles them well, not sure about a 10lb carp though.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The Aristocrats are still superb rods. I updated a spliced Aristocrat with new reel seat and single leg fuji's for my friend and it still feels light and crisp alongside more modern rods!

My mate uses it for everything: roach, dace and chub on the Nene, stillwater bream on the waggler and carp to the low 20s which it handled quite comfortably (he certainly didn't run out of rod).

Not many rods of today that have enough build strength lower down and finesse in the tip to do that, as they tend to be built far closer to their fail-point to save weight.
If it works ok my next job is to replace the Seymo guides with some single leg fujis that i’ve ”harvested” from a tip section on another rod that broke.
i did feel that the action had become less crisp after 20 years of use ... but that could have been my imagination. I do think the cadence #2 is a better rod ... similar low end finesse, but a bit more power at the top end.
fwiw both rods at 13ft weigh in at c. 170g.

anyway ... I still have 2 spliced tip and a hollow tip version that are entire (no broken tips or other damage). Maybe another project!

davepellet

I wouldn't say any rod brand can ever be called the 'best', because it's all about personal taste

brand loyalty plays a big part in what individuals will say is the best rod brand, I myself love Drennan rods, and anything else I have handled in recent years feels absolutely awful by comparison including flagship rods from other popular brands - but that's my personal opinion... similarly there are other people around who couldn't compliment Drennan rods if their lives depended on it... and that's their opinion

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Grey ... in your view, did the change in line guides make any difference to the action of the rod?

grey

Site Supporter
No, it didn't change the action as such, it just made it feel 'brighter' if you see what I mean, it also changed the balance ever so slightly. I also spliced in a new tip just to stiffen the end up a tad, but that was my mate's preference.

Pay extra attention where you place the rod seat: I remember the final position wasn't quite where I expected it to be (a little further back if I remember rightly)

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
it is a personal thing . i myself, cant get on with preston float rods at all. i think they are very unbalanced with a poor action . but a mate of mine swears by preston rods lol . i much prefer daiwa but also have a 15ft acolyte which to me is an awesome piece of kit but then others may say they cant get on with that lol as i said , its very much a personal thing as are reels, lines etc

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I used to have a Preston competition float rod which I thought was great but then tried an ultralight matchpro and thought hang on a minute then I got the acolyte ultra which is so good that it made every other float rod I’d used aside from the matchpro feel distinctly average and it’s even a fair degree better than the matchpro. Tbh I think the cadence I also have now is better than my old Preston and it isn’t a patch on the acolyte. Basically the acolyte is so good to me that unless drennan update it or browning do a sphere with a proper handle I can’t see me upgrading it any time soon.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hope this isn`t an obvious question. Which is the lighter, acolyte or acolyte ultra?

I do not need any new rods but I keep hearing how good these acolytes are. We all know what happens when the
seed is sown.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There’s no straight acolyte, there’s the ultra that’s rated for 2-4lb mainline and 1-3lb hooklengths then the plus which I believe is 3-6lb mainline and 2-5lb hooklengths. So the ultra is an out and out classic silvers rod like the ultralight matchpro and the plus more of a chub and tench rod. Matched with 3lb mainline to 2.5lb hooklengths the ultra is wonderful to use for silvers from a couple oz to a couple pound but it’ll handle the odd 4 or 5 pounder fine it just gets lively above that lol

Rick123

Site Supporter
Sorry to bring back such a common question (judging by the search I’ve just done.) I have the Drennan vertex pellet waggler for out and out munter hunting (it’s very stiff so will only fish for carp over about 8lb on it and barbel on the river.) I also had a Drennan red range 13 foot float rod until I accidentally stood on it over the weekend.

So I need a new rod for general float fishing, a lot of my fishing is done on commercials fishing for everything and I’m going to start fishing the wye this year. Something 12 or 13ft, soft enough for decent roach, chub, bream, tench and f1s To give a decent fight on and if I do hook a carp or barbel Up to 10lb will give me half a chance of landing it. Prefer to stay away from carp wagglers if possible, prefer my rods on the softer side.

Not really sure what to spend, happy to go up to £150 but would prefer to stay under £100 if poss.

Many thanks!

Rory Jones, the England International uses the Drennan Matchpro ultralights for his stick float fishing on the Wye? He says the tip is quick, but you don't bump fish, worth a look-see Joe. It would be second hand maybe now mate?

trotter2

From my point of view the acolytes ultra is perhaps the best light silver's rod ever made I know that's some statement but I believe it so. The browning spliced tip is a better all rounder which will handle a greater range of fishing from 6oz roach to 5 lb chub well within its capabilities.
With the spliced tip it has more of a classic stick float feel to the action. The acolytes are unbeatable at that price point the ultra 13,14ft is an absolute gem.