Another float rod recommendation post....,

Joe C

Site Supporter
Sorry to bring back such a common question (judging by the search I’ve just done.) I have the Drennan vertex pellet waggler for out and out munter hunting (it’s very stiff so will only fish for carp over about 8lb on it and barbel on the river.) I also had a Drennan red range 13 foot float rod until I accidentally stood on it over the weekend.

So I need a new rod for general float fishing, a lot of my fishing is done on commercials fishing for everything and I’m going to start fishing the wye this year. Something 12 or 13ft, soft enough for decent roach, chub, bream, tench and f1s To give a decent fight on and if I do hook a carp or barbel Up to 10lb will give me half a chance of landing it. Prefer to stay away from carp wagglers if possible, prefer my rods on the softer side.

Not really sure what to spend, happy to go up to £150 but would prefer to stay under £100 if poss.

Many thanks!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There’s not really much point skimping on a float rod as you get what you pay for more than any other type of rod. At the top end of your budget I’d look at the new shimano aero X 5 which is £140 at 13ft and £140. I had a waggled or them at the big one show and they felt superb for the money, they didn’t seem massively far behind in quality than the higher end rods like the drennan acolytes and matchpros and maver signature pros.

For a bit less money as they always have a sale on its worth looking at the cadence CR10 #1 which at 13ft is usually £130 but you’ll almost certainly be able to get it with 10-20% off. I have this rod and use it on commercials where I need a slightly more powerful (and cheaper and therefore more expendable) rod than the acolyte ultra that I use on rivers and natural Stillwaters. It’s primarily a silver fish rod but doesn’t really complain about carp until you get to double figures as it has just a slightly more powerful blank than an acolyte which is a fair bit superior as a silvers rod but gets an bit ropey with fish over 5lb.

Between the cadence and shimano I’d say there’s not much difference in the quality of their actions but the shimano does have a slightly better finish. Basically comparing the two at full price I’d take a stab at the shimano but if you can get money off the cadence which I believe you can at the moment then go for that :)

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Cadence 13ft #2 is what I use for 90% of my floatfishing, including all that you’ve described except carp.

the #1 will be underpowered for barbel really ...

Last edited:

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
if i were looking for a new float rod and wanted to stay under 100 quid, i think i would look for a good rod at a knock down price on bobco etc . you will get a better rod than one that is originally low priced

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
bobco have got the agility 2 range of float rods on offer at the moment ranging from 57 up to 75 quid . lovely rods at a great price

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
the cadence CR10 will do the job. Its avail in 3 strength ratings. To cover your general float fishing situations the #2 will be perfect.

I use a 12ft #3 for heavier pellet wagg fishing and an 11ft #2 for lighter commercial waggler fishing, I have no concerns about either and at about £100 (using the Candence20 voucher) it is an absolute steal, you will not be disappointed.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That is a very good choice. I’ve used many a float rod and the ultralight matchpro is second to only the acolyte ultra for me.

A lot of people seem to under rate the cadence CR10 #1, it’s rated to 6lb line so has a reasonable amount of power compared to say and acolyte and matchpro that are rated to 4-5lb line. The #2 is rated to 8lb and if it’s anything like as powerful as every other float rod I’ve used rated to 8lb I’d consider it too heavy for silvers.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I’d say comparing line ratings is an inexact science.
as I’ve said before, i’ll happily use the no. 2 down to 0.08 hooklengths and 22 fine wire, and lower than that with care.
it has a remarkably broad range of capability.

i sometimes use my shaky Mach 3 power, which is approx the same as the cadence no. 3. Even that is only slightly over gunned for little dace.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
A few Tenchfishers have The Tackle Box Darenth valley range float rods and rate them as very good. Maybe worth a look.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@NoCarpPlease no it’s not an exact science but if the #2 is significantly more powerful than the #1 I’d have though it would be too powerful for silvers but then maybe the difference is very slight.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
@NoCarpPlease no it’s not an exact science but if the #2 is significantly more powerful than the #1 I’d have though it would be too powerful for silvers but then maybe the difference is very slight.
Have not used a #1 as I have acolyte ultra for that but the #2 certainly does not feel like an 8lb beasting tool, it is very soft and would handle silvers no problem if pressed into action.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s interesting. I have an acolyte ultra and the #1 and the #1 is certainly a bit more powerful than the ultra. The ultra as I’m sure you know is not very keen on fish over 4-5 pounds with 10 pounders plain horrible but on the #1 4 or 5 pounders are no problem at all and even a 10 pounder whilst not ideal is isn’t terrifying like the on the ultra lol

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
the no. 2 is what we used to describe as a “standard” match rod .... suitable for most situations.
the tip is indeed soft and allows you to handle tiny hooks and fish.
equally there is bags of power lower down for bullying chub out of snags.

it’s the same progression concept as micro lite, Titan, avenger. The #2 is the all rounder in the same way the Titan was and still is.

I’ve never handled the Drennans, nor any cadence other than the no.2 and a couple of pre-production prototypes. So I can’t really compare them all. As I said I do have all three different power versions of the shaky Mach 3 (There’s a pattern emerging).
IMO, the range of capability of the cadence #2 has made both the mach3 lite and power redundant in all but extreme situations (eg. floatfishing for barbel) or when I need more than two rods set up for a match.
i’ll also repeat that there are huge overlaps in capability, even the shaky Mach 3 power can be used with 0.9 hooklength and 20s hooks (With a little care). It’s not a broomstick.

anyway ... the OP bought the light actioned Drennan, I hope he enjoys using it and catches plenty!

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
I have bought the 14ft shakepeare agility and it feels ok did break tip off first time I used it also now bought a 14ft ultra for silver fish natural waters and use the agilty on a commercial waters

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Anyway ... on less exciting news ... NEJohn’s post about his stunning rod build on the century Excalibur blank “inspired” me to get one of my old 1989 vintage tri-cast aristocrats out of the garage roof.
as well as the butt having broken in its early life (repaired and over-whipped for about 10 inched) it had also lost a couple of inches off the tip a few years ago in an argument with a tree ... so I did a little project to chop 1’ 10” off the butt section to make an 11 foot little river/ drain rod that is a bit crisper than my Image canal rod.
6 inches off the overlong handle made a much nicer 18 inches ....and then 16 inches from the spigot end. Whittled the carbon off the spigot joint and it still fit perfectly inside the remaining blank (near parallel butt section). Bit of epoxy glue and a reinforcing whipping ... move a couple of line guides and bob’s your uncle (actually he’s my Dad,).

it won’t win any prizes for looks, and does feel a fair bit fiercer than the more mellow 13ft version that it started as .... but that’s just bending in to a solid object In the garden.

I’ll report back on it in use after the river season has started:)

Joe C

Site Supporter
Anyway ... on less exciting news ... NEJohn’s post about his stunning rod build on the century Excalibur blank “inspired” me to get one of my old 1989 vintage tri-cast aristocrats out of the garage roof.
as well as the butt having broken in its early life (repaired and over-whipped for about 10 inched) it had also lost a couple of inches off the tip a few years ago in an argument with a tree ... so I did a little project to chop 1’ 10” off the butt section to make an 11 foot little river/ drain rod that is a bit crisper than my Image canal rod.
6 inches off the overlong handle made a much nicer 18 inches ....and then 16 inches from the spigot end. Whittled the carbon off the spigot joint and it still fit perfectly inside the remaining blank (near parallel butt section). Bit of epoxy glue and a reinforcing whipping ... move a couple of line guides and bob’s your uncle (actually he’s my Dad,).

it won’t win any prizes for looks, and does feel a fair bit fiercer than the more mellow 13ft version that it started as .... but that’s just bending in to a solid object In the garden.

I’ll report back on it in use after the river season has started:)

I’ve heard tri cast are the best rods around?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I believe they do superb feeder rods but I've heard mixed review of the float rods, some love them some say they are jack of all trades master of none type rods. Don't recall ever seeing one in the flesh but wouId certainly like to see one to find out for myself what they are like.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
All rods have lovers and haters ... simple as.

my Aristos (I have four of them) were either top of the range 30 years ago when I bought them, or second behind the sovereign.
I grew Up fishing the Nene and Great Ouse, so definitely have a preference for lighter/softer actioned rods.
The aristocrats were definitely in that bracket, although I remember Richard Kinnersley (top Leicester angler at the time) saying how he loved them for bagging up and just carried on leaning in to the fish (Chub back in those days).
i used them for nearly 20 years, and won lots of coin in matches, but they’ve been sitting around unused for nearly a decade - so nothing to lose by Using them for projects. They have john Roberts realfit sliding reel fittings, so people who prefer screw winch fittings might not like them just for that!