Another fishing rod query - Guru Aventus feeder

Cobweb

Site Supporter
That was also what I meant about the casting weight. The speed master was a good balance of both, a good casting weight and yet soft enough for mush if not all fish
I have always targeted F1s and carp with my Speedmaster using a method and while I have picked up numerous members of the F1 flyweight variety this rod has handled some hefty lumps as well and landed them all. The Sphere rod I've used for method, bomb, cage, and window as it has such a wide variety of tips available and casting options. Handles everything smoothly and it's playing action allows me to land doubles equally as well as smaller stuff

Philnun87

Phil,

I’ve owned an 11 foot Aventus feeder rod for around 5 months now and I have to say, I’m delighted with it. The glass tips aren’t to everyone’s liking admittedly, but I’ve not experienced anything untoward with them.

My club’s lakes are only around an acre in size and though I predominantly target the carp with it, it’s soft enough to land the numerous roach and skimmers I also encounter there. On the flip side, I fished Boddington with it yesterday, casting to 70 metres with a 45 gram hybrid feeder with ease and enjoyed the wonderful scraps provided by numerous carp to 17lbs.

As others have alluded to, there are excellent alternatives out there, however, since you asked for an opinion from an Aventus user, this is my humble two penny’s worth!
Thanks a lot mate, really appreciate the info. I’ll definitely take a look when the shops are back to normal and have a look at some alternatives to compare too

Philnun87

I have always targeted F1s and carp with my Speedmaster using a method and while I have picked up numerous members of the F1 flyweight variety this rod has handled some hefty lumps as well and landed them all. The Sphere rod I've used for method, bomb, cage, and window as it has such a wide variety of tips available and casting options. Handles everything smoothly and it's playing action allows me to land doubles equally as well as smaller stuff
I like a softer rod in normal circumstances and the speed master bends right the way through doesn’t it which is great. One of the most underrated rods out there tbh - I’ve never personally seen another one on the bank!

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I like a softer rod in normal circumstances and the speed master bends right the way through doesn’t it which is great. One of the most underrated rods out there tbh - I’ve never personally seen another one on the bank!
I have the 9/11ft Speedmaster AX and I'd get a spare if I could as it's a superb rod as good as anything else out there regardless of whether you're fishing for carp or bream, short or at range.

For short range method work up to 40m there are loads of rods and although I use a Free Spirit CTX 10ft which is another great rod the Preston Supera 10ft is another rod I'd consider as you'll be paying more than double the price for a GURU or Daiwa Tournament/Airity for not a great deal more in terms of performance and practicality.

cuzza

I use an Aero X5 9-11 and it’s brilliant, I use it for most situations up to about 40m, it comes with 0.5,0.75 and 1.top tips and has a casting weight of 60gr. Not sure I’d be casting that much with it though especially as I use the 0.5 tip most of the time

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
You won't be disappointed with a Tri-Cast feeder rod, they are all generally very good, They are a very good company to deal with. give them a call and ask for Steve Hopkinson or send him an email (I think there is a link to Steve's email address on the website) tell him what you are looking for and where you live and there is a good chance he will be able to get a sample of any rod you are looking for to a Tackle shop near you. There is a list of dealers on their website (link below) however not sure how up to date that list is. But definitely worth the effort as they are very good rods

Very good rods and poles , tri cast are very good .

Cobweb

Site Supporter

For short range method work up to 40m there are loads of rods and although I use a Free Spirit CTX 10ft which is another great rod the Preston Supera 10ft is another rod I'd consider as you'll be paying more than double the price for a GURU or Daiwa Tournament/Airity for not a great deal more in terms of performance and practicality.
A good point. Were I highly competitive and saw the possibility of say a Guru Aventus/ Daiwa SLR rod making the difference between say £50 prize money and £500 on a regular basis, I could see the justification for spending so much, but at my level of participation in angling £200 (ish) makes quite a bit of difference between netting fish and losing them and getting repeated use from the rod for more than a couple of seasons

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
A good point. Were I highly competitive and saw the possibility of say a Guru Aventus/ Daiwa SLR rod making the difference between say £50 prize money and £500 on a regular basis, I could see the justification for spending so much, but at my level of participation in angling £200 (ish) makes quite a bit of difference between netting fish and losing them and getting repeated use from the rod for more than a couple of seasons
I have fished at the highest level and have won some big matches using Shakespeare rods costing less than £100 including the Wye Festival arguably the one River Festival that everybody wants to win. Des Shipp used the 9ft Preston Tyson to win the Park Dean Masters to take the £25,000 winners cheque so don't believe all they hype as there are a lot of good rods about for not a lot of money.