Another fishing rod query - Guru Aventus feeder

Philnun87

Hey,

sorry I know a few of my last posts have been about potential feeder rods to buy. I know everyone has different opinions and I am planning to get to the tackle shop as soon as I can to have a waggle myself.

Has anyone used the 10ft Guru Aventus feeder. I know it’s expensive but it is the only role that I can find with sensible tips 1oz that also has a fleece be casting weight attached to it (60g) for casting bait up feeders...I’m always nervous about casting them on lighter feeder rods and don’t want to mess around with a separate rod

I’m not someone who always buys Guru either, I have a few bits of their stuff (mainly terminal tackle, floats and line which is all quality stuff and is right for the job etc)

it would be great to hear the thoughts of anyone who has used a Guru Aventus rod?

cheers

Rick123

Site Supporter
Tri-cast 11' Excellent range around £200. Stunning blank 1 oz tip with this model, it will land big and small carp, and is even nice with silvers. So worth a look Phil. And yes I do own one myself. Review available on You-tube if you want to see it in action.

Philnun87

Just remember it’s made for them by Daiwa, I would be looking at the offerings from them as well.
Thanks a lot, yep I was looking at a tourney pro and the new nzon z, which both look nice but their casting ratings as around 40g still - not sure how much to take that into account tbh

Philnun87

Tri-cast 11' Excellent range around £200. Stunning blank 1 oz tip with this model, it will land big and small carp, and is even nice with silvers. So worth a look Phil. And yes I do own one myself. Review available on You-tube if you want to see it in action.
Cheers mate,

move never looked at a tri cast rod as you can’t really get them / I haven’t seen them near me

nejohn

Site Supporter
You won't be disappointed with a Tri-Cast feeder rod, they are all generally very good, They are a very good company to deal with. give them a call and ask for Steve Hopkinson or send him an email (I think there is a link to Steve's email address on the website) tell him what you are looking for and where you live and there is a good chance he will be able to get a sample of any rod you are looking for to a Tackle shop near you. There is a list of dealers on their website (link below) however not sure how up to date that list is. But definitely worth the effort as they are very good rods

Rick123

Site Supporter
Cheers mate,

move never looked at a tri cast rod as you can’t really get them / I haven’t seen them near me
I'll echo Ne-john sentiments, English made rods' and a company you can actually talk to. I also like the look of Preston Supera rods even though I only have the float rods. They have a GREAT ACTION Phil, and you can get to hold one in many tackle shops. But Try-cast are a premium brand make no bones about it.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I have the 9/10 and 11ft tricast excellence,, loverly rods, ive also had the 11ft guru aventus, but I sold it on, I couldn’t get on with the glass tips it came with, because of the venue I fish, to much wind and tow, I must admit, I didn’t like the tips, not been painted on the tricast, I felt like I was useing my float rod for feeder fishing, but, I got a local float maker to paint them for me, and they are fantastic now. 👍👍👍

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Tri- cast make great rods. Still got my 12ft (3 piece) feeder rod which can still handle anything. Unlike @Mike atkinson , I used my Humbrol Enamel (model kit paint) and the wife's nail varnish for my tips. Not classy but effective and tossed my target board after painting

Philnun87

I wouldn’t be casting a big bait up feeder weighing up to 60G with a 1oz tip in , receipe for snapped tip , but a slightly cheaper feeder rod and cheap carp rod for feeding .
I’m not saying that the bait up feeder will be 60g, it would probably be lighter / not much heavier than a method, having that extra casting weight just gives you a bit of a safety bracket. I usually use lighter tips tbh even with carp as I like to see the knocks on the feeder.

it’s a lot of faff having to use measuring stick and another rod...there’s barely enough time in most matched to set all your gear up as it is

Rick123

Site Supporter
I’m not saying that the bait up feeder will be 60g, it would probably be lighter / not much heavier than a method, having that extra casting weight just gives you a bit of a safety bracket. I usually use lighter tips tbh even with carp as I like to see the knocks on the feeder.

it’s a lot of faff having to use measuring stick and another rod...there’s barely enough time in most matched to set all your gear up as it is
As you say Phil, being a little new to this, maybe you need to think hard about EXACTLY what you need a rod for. Its impossible to find a rod that will do it all, cast 15 gram, ad then 60 grams in the same breath. The main line would be different anyway, thank about what it will be mostly use for then, buy with confidence.

Philnun87

As you say Phil, being a little new to this, maybe you need to think hard about EXACTLY what you need a rod for. Its impossible to find a rod that will do it all, cast 15 gram, ad then 60 grams in the same breath. The main line would be different anyway, thank about what it will be mostly use for then, buy with confidence.
Hi Rick

yep, thank you. I am looking for a rod which has a bit of a heavier casting weight / is a bit beefier as I use a Map Parabolix 10ft for my lighter work. I’ve fished for a long time and have always liked to use as light a tip as possible and find that a lot of the slightly ‘heavier’ rods are too overgunned / come with too heavy a tip - I generally like a 1oz / 1.5oz tip if possible.

the Aventus looked like a good middle ground and I just wondered if anyone on here had used one and what their thoughts were?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Phil. I really don't think you have to spend that money on a feeder rod, honest. Rods have really come on in the past few years, and the blacks are so light and slim. Don't rush out and buy a Guru rod, have a good look at Daiwa's whole range, and then look again.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I saw a video recently of the Guru N gauge feeder rods - The tips are well within your spec and the c/w is plenty enough to hold a 35g method feeder on a short range feature slope - nice action too! Drennan's Acolyte plus range will fit that too for about half the price of an Aventus rod. I had the 11ft version of the Plus rod and bought myself a couple of additional 1oz tips (spare tips are available for that range) ordered from my local tackle shop to pick up bream takes on a local natural water. I've since replaced that with the Browning Sphere feeder rod (11ft) c/w 70g which I got for just over £200. Sadly the Shimano Speedmaster rod is no longer in production as I use their 10ft feeder (c/w 70g), but Fishing Tackle and Bait have 1 left (at the time of going to press @£147.15) it has three tips 0.5, 1, and 1.5oz. Shimano's replacement X5 Aero (or X7) may suit you for much less outlay

Philnun87

I saw a video recently of the Guru N gauge feeder rods - The tips are well within your spec and the c/w is plenty enough to hold a 35g method feeder on a short range feature slope - nice action too! Drennan's Acolyte plus range will fit that too for about half the price of an Aventus rod. I had the 11ft version of the Plus rod and bought myself a couple of additional 1oz tips (spare tips are available for that range) ordered from my local tackle shop to pick up bream takes on a local natural water. I've since replaced that with the Browning Sphere feeder rod (11ft) c/w 70g which I got for just over £200. Sadly the Shimano Speedmaster rod is no longer in production as I use their 10ft feeder (c/w 70g), but Fishing Tackle and Bait have 1 left (at the time of going to press @£147.15) it has three tips 0.5, 1, and 1.5oz. Shimano's replacement X5 Aero (or X7) may suit you for much less outlay
Hi mate,

that’s exactly what i am looking for. I have a 9-11ft shimano speed master and love it. I would say that is the rod that most fits the ‘does it all’ to be honest; soft but enough power on the lower sections. I wish I had bought another 10ft version.

the Aero range was on my list too, just not sure about the spliced tops on them.

I was looking into the spheres too

Philnun87

Phil. I really don't think you have to spend that money on a feeder rod, honest. Rods have really come on in the past few years, and the blacks are so light and slim. Don't rush out and buy a Guru rod, have a good look at Daiwa's whole range, and then look again.
Cheers,

Yep I agree. Tbh, I was keen to see what the extra money bought (I wouldn’t get a rod without having a feel of it). As I say I’m not a massive guru advocate or Daiwa, I like their gear but wasn’t looking at it just for the brand

Philnun87

Hi mate,

that’s exactly what i am looking for. I have a 9-11ft shimano speed master and love it. I would say that is the rod that most fits the ‘does it all’ to be honest; soft but enough power on the lower sections. I wish I had bought another 10ft version.

the Aero range was on my list too, just not sure about the spliced tops on them.

That was also what I meant about the casting weight. The speed master was a good balance of both, a good casting weight and yet soft enough for mush if not all fish

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Hi mate,

The Speedmaster rod is my go to for commercials at short range, but also Sphere's 50g c/w 3m bomb rod comes into play for light method feeder work, and it can chuck a feeder a long way

OxonPhil

Phil,

I’ve owned an 11 foot Aventus feeder rod for around 5 months now and I have to say, I’m delighted with it. The glass tips aren’t to everyone’s liking admittedly, but I’ve not experienced anything untoward with them.

My club’s lakes are only around an acre in size and though I predominantly target the carp with it, it’s soft enough to land the numerous roach and skimmers I also encounter there. On the flip side, I fished Boddington with it yesterday, casting to 70 metres with a 45 gram hybrid feeder with ease and enjoyed the wonderful scraps provided by numerous carp to 17lbs.

As others have alluded to, there are excellent alternatives out there, however, since you asked for an opinion from an Aventus user, this is my humble two penny’s worth!