Another expert ?

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
Was fishing a couple of days ago and doing quite well...........this chap who was the other side of the lake came round and asked what I was doing.
I explained I was surface fishing ......with floating baits.............Harringtons dog biscuits and Aldi Peanut and choc cereal balls............my normal stuff.

"Oh I see" he said " in a derisive way I'm only after the big ones........so I'm down on the bottom "........

"Good luck" I said...before he explained to me the need for a size 4 hook and a big boily............a tactic that failed for the rest of the day from what I could see.

Always good to get advice from an expert.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Was fishing a couple of days ago and doing quite well...........this chap who was the other side of the lake came round and asked what I was doing.
I explained I was surface fishing ......with floating baits.............Harringtons dog biscuits and Aldi Peanut and choc cereal balls............my normal stuff.

"Oh I see" he said " in a derisive way I'm only after the big ones........so I'm down on the bottom "........

"Good luck" I said...before he explained to me the need for a size 4 hook and a big boily............a tactic that failed for the rest of the day from what I could see.

Love folks like that... I always counter with "how many have you had then"?
Usually gets rid of em...πŸ˜›πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘Œ

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I get the bivvy boys turn up behind if I have a fish... they always go off shaking their heads when you tell em you had your fish on a prawn or some other unfashionable bait on the float...
I'm not above putting out 3 rods with boilies... but sometimes I want to catch a fish...🀣🀣🀣🀣

Mountain_picnic_blues

The Darling of Wapping Wharf Launderette
Site Supporter
I love it when these so called experts come giving advice you didn't ask for, then the f off to their "that's where you want to be fishing spots" to sit there and catch the square root of heehaw and they sit there watching you catch, doing everything they told you NOT to do 😎

solwood

Site Supporter
If I was him I would have been inquisitive about your bait choices especially the peanut and chocolate cereal balls! It's got me intrigued!!

How much are they and how many do you get out of interest!

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
If I was him I would have been inquisitive about your bait choices especially the peanut and chocolate cereal balls! It's got me intrigued!!

How much are they and how many do you get out of interest!
I havent counted how many in a packet.........but I normally but 3 packets at a time :) I used to direct hook them now I band them on a size 12 .

Dont normally get more that a couple of casts out of them with a controller......as they fall apart. I think most people think I'm taking the P~ss when I show them........they float really high... whereas the Harringtons float in the surface.

17 fish yesterday afternoon....between 12 -5pm.......... half took these half took the Harringtons.
15 on thurs afternoon.

I wish I was on commission :)

Floating balls.jpg.JPG

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I thought everybody was an expert thanks to Youpube certainly sounds like with some of the odd requests we have in the shop these days.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

Expert

Ex is past it and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
I was fishing the swingtip on my local club lake and a couple of 'experts' turned up and started the usual 'caught anything mate and the usual advice where/how/when to fish blah blah blah. As they were walking away l heard one say "he wont catch anything with his float jammed in the rod tip like that".................. 😐

nejohn

Site Supporter
I was fishing the swingtip on my local club lake and a couple of 'experts' turned up and started the usual 'caught anything mate and the usual advice where/how/when to fish blah blah blah. As they were walking away l heard one say "he wont catch anything with his float jammed in the rod tip like that".................. 😐
I had a similar experience when fishing the swing tip, a guy told my that the quiver tip needs to be pushed into the end of the rod

solwood

Site Supporter
I havent counted how many in a packet.........but I normally but 3 packets at a time :) I used to direct hook them now I band them on a size 12 .

Dont normally get more that a couple of casts out of them with a controller......as they fall apart. I think most people think I'm taking the P~ss when I show them........they float really high... whereas the Harringtons float in the surface.

17 fish yesterday afternoon....between 12 -5pm.......... half took these half took the Harringtons.
15 on thurs afternoon.

I wish I was on commission :)

Floating balls.jpg.JPG
Barry they look very interesting and a great flavour combination. I was thinking they were conker sized snacks you were using!!!

Nice to hear others are using smaller hooks for this type of fishing too !

People looked at corn as a strange bait yet happily fed bread.

This is a great example of trying something different and it working!!!

I bet they leak flavour and bits as they soften too

As an aside do you spomb half fat or full fat milk over the top ???

solwood

Site Supporter
I had a similar experience when fishing the swing tip, a guy told my that the quiver tip needs to be pushed into the end of the rod
I would have said can I watch for a bit mate I never mastered the swing tip!

HALTON DANGLER

tis funny, in this weeks vlog i say about it, i was on severn on my usual small banded pellet and feeder,

"need big baits catch the barbel"
"boilie on for the barbel"

and so on
any how had 2 barbel before left, stick to what you know is my motto...

tee.bee

Site Supporter
tis funny, in this weeks vlog i say about it, i was on severn on my usual small banded pellet and feeder,

and so on
some of my best catches of barbel on the severn have come on 6mm pellets (y)

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter

and so on
I agree to a point but its good to try out differents things now and then.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's a famous expert at the park known by the crocs he wears, been described by my mate as being able to put a glass eye to sleep. Full of advice and tales of his sometimes 4 sometimes 5lb Perch from the canal but his own fishing leaves something to be desired with massive bobber floats and a sea fishing rod. I'm not one to shun conversation or usually moan about individuals but everyone knows him. Infamous.

Foul hooked

Site Supporter
I am always open to new ideas and have learnt quite a bit recently from some of the carp boys but there is always a few that seem to know better.
Despite the fact that I am down the lakes everyday, so have an intimate knowledge of what is being caught, from where and with what baits, rigs etc, I still get told by some that that is all wrong etc.
I will always offer tips and advice to those that ask, but it astounds me how often people then go and do the exact opposite. With the current hot spell fishing has been hard and small baits the order of the day, yet when asked what has been catching, some will tell me that that is all well and good for the β€œsmall” fish and insist on chucking out a boilee despite me telling them that two doubles fell to corn or caster earlier in the day.