Another day, but problem still not 'solved, however?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Another great day fishing yesterday. Still have not solved the foul hooking problem had a mare in truth. Landed 11 decent fish in the margins, but hooked and lost 4 foul hooked fish. I took advice and feed little just size 4 pellets and 8mm on the hook for extra weight. When a fish was caught another 10x4mm and 3 x8mm really small amounts. I did have the lake almost to myself that may have made a difference. Float took 5 number 8s 4'' from the hook and finally I fish ultra short between the pole tip and float maybe 4/5'' that did help a bit, as fish hooked themselves or spooked off. Just to make it worse I lost 2 floats and rig. Mainline was 2lb tiger than hook-link. Must have the float around a fin or tail? Does this happen to other people? Do you lose floats too?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Another great day fishing yesterday. Still have not solved the foul hooking problem had a mare in truth. Landed 11 decent fish in the margins, but hooked and lost 4 foul hooked fish. I took advice and feed little just size 4 pellets and 8mm on the hook for extra weight. When a fish was caught another 10x4mm and 3 x8mm really small amounts. I did have the lake almost to myself that may have made a difference. Float took 5 number 8s 4'' from the hook and finally I fish ultra short between the pole tip and float maybe 4/5'' that did help a bit, as fish hooked themselves or spooked off. Just to make it worse I lost 2 floats and rig. Mainline was 2lb tiger than hook-link. Must have the float around a fin or tail? Does this happen to other people? Do you lose floats too?
Happens all the time, if you’ve hooked and landed 11, fish and only foulhooked 4, I’d say that is a good result, and your presentation is near spot on !

Warden

Site Supporter
Fish your hook bait to the outer limits of your feed maybe a foot or so to one side of it try to catch the fish as they approach the feed or leave it not when they are grubbing around in it tails flapping all over the place,(sounds great in theory. (lol).

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I dont loose many floats as i use strong main line and lighter hook lengths . Another method to stop liners is put a bomb or feeder on and lower your rod to the bed keeping the line pinned to the deck . Hold on to your rod as the takes can be savage lol

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Its a perennial problem, trying to catch fish with a lot of them in a small area, its going to happen.

Solve that one completely and you're the champ !

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
The problem is caused by a) too many fish in the peg (seriously) and

b) insufficient care on behalf of the fish bumping into the line

Only real answer is strictly enforced social distancing of fish in the peg.

Question is will they tow the line ?

nejohn

Site Supporter
When a lot of fish are present I tend to fish slightly away from my feed area, ie if I am fishing a lefthand margin I will fish slightly right of my feed area for me it has several advantages such as not pulling a hooked fish through the main shoal, reduced number of line bites and often the bigger fish sit slightly away from the rest of the shoal, it might not completely stop you foul hooking fish but it might reduce the numbers slightly

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Thats a good hook to foul hook ratio. Smashed float will always be a problem with margin fish because they are so close to the fish. Anything the fish swims through the float follows almost immediately. Fish rolling on your float in the net is another way.
I'd be very happy with those results mate. ?

smiffy

Site Supporter
I fished a relatively sparsely populated pit on Monday and the only two Tench I caught were both hooked in the tail?‍♂️. If I had your ratio on a heavily populated commy it wouldn’t bother me too much. Especially if I’m the only one feeding the fish.