Another commercial session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So after a nice afternoon catching a decent mixed bag on my local commercial with my uncle yesterday I decided to go back with my grandad today to get his fishing year underway. Apart from a rainy morning the weather was better today with no wind and slightly warmer. As a result of the lack of wind we could have fished any peg comfort wise but as we were late starting and the weather had brought more people out the only double peg free was yesterday’s one. Was happy enough with that though as they are all much of a muchness really. It did however turn out to be a quite different session.

We started fishing about 9.30 and fished through til about 3.30 and whilst maybe the roach and definitely the rudd were coming out at a slightly quicker rate than yesterday the carp were slower and the quality skimmers that made it so good yesterday were virtually non existent! Final tally was 5 relatively small carp, 4 still fairly big skimmers, about 30 just about respectable roach, 2 small perch and a lot of very small rudd, certainly over 60 of them. So more fish than yesterday as expected by fishing longer but a good 10lb less in weight at probably 25lb tops given the much fewer skimmers and slightly smaller carp. Still enjoyable though as certainly a lot of fish for winter fishing! I reckon being a day further into the mild spell had got the rudd more active making it harder to get through to the proper fish. Was certainly surprised how active the rudd and Orfe were in my pond when I got home compared to yesterday.

Tackle wise given the modesty of the carp numbers and size wise yesterday I almost went for an acolyte. But ultimately I decided to not tempt trouble in the form lumpy carp or loads of carp (Sod’s law obviously would have been fine in the end!) so went for the same set up as yesterday of the 13ft Cadence CR10 #1 paired with the drennan 7 series 300 reel loaded with 3lb maxima to 1g drennan loaded crystal insert waggler to a size 18 to 2.5lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon fished in about 4ft of water. Hook bait for the vast majority of fish was a single red maggot over loose feed of red maggots save for a few fish on punch (which just brought the same stamp fish but slower) with loose feed of red maggots over frenzied hemp groundbait.

Grandad did brave his acolyte and successfully avoided the carp but also unfortunately avoided the skimmers as well. He ended up with 20 odd roach and 50 odd rudd for probably a bit shy of 10lb on a fairly even mix of single red maggot and punch over red maggots and liquidised bread.

All in all whilst it wasn’t as good as yesterday it was still nice to be out catching plenty of fish which can’t be sniffed at this time of year. Especially in what was after the mornings rain very nice weather for February. I don’t think I’ll fish the place much once the travel restrictions lift though. Its got a nice mix of fish and is quite attractive but if you don’t get the skimmers you’re bit stuffed for quality fish as the carp aren’t really big enough to target and the stamp of the roach is about half what I’m used to elsewhere. Not to mention the rudd are not much bigger or less numerous than the dreaded thames bleak! Still a bit of a life saver venue at the moment though so I’m very grateful for it!

Few pics of the swim, a couple skimmers and the last carp which wasn’t the smallest one but not far off.
1613928971313.jpeg
1613928986463.jpeg
1613929004931.jpeg
1613929022980.jpeg

Last edited:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Nice write up and good to see you’ve managed a double session this weekend, especially today with your grandad.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice write up and good to see you’ve managed a double session this weekend, especially today with your grandad.
Thanks mate 👍🏻

About the only good thing about the virus restrictions is that there's not much competition for your time so any free time I've had over the last year that's coincided with decent weather I've been able to go fishing whenever I've fancied it. Have had not too far shy of 60 sessions since this time last year I think so pretty good going given there was the best part of a 2 month gap when we couldn't fish.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
That’s brilliant - keeping everything crossed I’m out on the water next Saturday with my son for our first session of the year, looking warm and dry all week so far

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s brilliant - keeping everything crossed I’m out on the water next Saturday with my son for our first session of the year, looking warm and dry all week so far
Nice one, hopefully stays nice as definitely a decent forecast for a while from mid week. Been a bit hit and miss this weekend. Would have been horrendous on an unsheltered peg yesterday and was certainly rather damp this morning but then not far short of as good as it gets for February this afternoon.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
So after a nice afternoon catching a decent mixed bag on my local commercial with my uncle yesterday I decided to go back with my grandad today to get his fishing year underway. Apart from a rainy morning the weather was better today with no wind and slightly warmer. As a result of the lack of wind we could have fished any peg comfort wise but as we were late starting and the weather had brought more people out the only double peg free was yesterday’s one. Was happy enough with that though as they are all much of a muchness really. It did however turn out to be a quite different session.

We started fishing about 9.30 and fished through til about 3.30 and whilst maybe the roach and definitely the rudd were coming out at a slightly quicker rate than yesterday the carp were slower and the quality skimmers that made it so good yesterday were virtually non existent! Final tally was 5 relatively small carp, 4 still fairly big skimmers, about 30 just about respectable roach, 2 small perch and a lot of very small rudd, certainly over 60 of them. So more fish than yesterday as expected by fishing longer but a good 10lb less in weight at probably 25lb tops given the much fewer skimmers and slightly smaller carp. Still enjoyable though as certainly a lot of fish for winter fishing! I reckon being a day further into the mild spell had got the rudd more active making it harder to get through to the proper fish. Was certainly surprised how active the rudd and Orfe were in my pond when I got home compared to yesterday.

Tackle wise given the modesty of the carp numbers and size wise yesterday I almost went for an acolyte. But ultimately I decided to not tempt trouble in the form lumpy carp or loads of carp (Sod’s law obviously would have been fine in the end!) so went for the same set up as yesterday of the 13ft Cadence CR10 #1 paired with the drennan 7 series 300 reel loaded with 3lb maxima to 1g drennan loaded crystal insert waggler to a size 18 to 2.5lb drennan silverfish hook to nylon fished in about 4ft of water. Hook bait for the vast majority of fish was a single red maggot over loose feed of red maggots save for a few fish on punch (which just brought the same stamp fish but slower) with loose feed of red maggots over frenzied hemp groundbait.

Grandad did brave his acolyte and successfully avoided the carp but also unfortunately avoided the skimmers as well. He ended up with 20 odd roach and 50 odd rudd for probably a bit shy of 10lb on a fairly even mix of single red maggot and punch over red maggots and liquidised bread.

All in all whilst it wasn’t as good as yesterday it was still nice to be out catching plenty of fish which can’t be sniffed at this time of year. Especially in what was after the mornings rain very nice weather for February. I don’t think I’ll fish the place much once the travel restrictions lift though. Its got a nice mix of fish and is quite attractive but if you don’t get the skimmers you’re bit stuffed for quality fish as the carp aren’t really big enough to target and the stamp of the roach is about half what I’m used to elsewhere. Not to mention the rudd are not much bigger or less numerous than the dreaded thames bleak! Still a bit of a life saver venue at the moment though so I’m very grateful for it!

Few pics of the swim, a couple skimmers and the last carp which wasn’t the smallest one but not far off.
1613928971313.jpeg
1613928986463.jpeg
1613929004931.jpeg
1613929022980.jpeg
Nice one 👍👍makes a change from all them 3oz roach photos 😂😂😂😂😂

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

1613928971313.jpeg
1613928986463.jpeg
1613929004931.jpeg
1613929022980.jpeg
Lovely day out ,lovely wright up , enjoyed that ,great pics

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice one 👍👍makes a change from all them 3oz roach photos 😂😂😂😂😂
I’m not sure I could have got you a genuine 3oz roach today never mind the usual 4oz plus ones. Well the biggest ones probably just scraped that but the average was only a couple ounces and they don’t even particularly interest me at that size! Were about twice the size of the flipping rudd though 😅. PS obviously I do know the occasional one I photograph is actually about 3oz just most are a bit bigger, as you well know 😉

Lovely day out ,lovely wright up , enjoyed that ,great pics
Thanks mate. Must say after a couple gruellers on the canal a bit of easy fishing was what I needed really. Wasn’t quite as easy as yesterday (couldn’t believe the skimmer stamp then) but certainly plenty of action 👍🏻

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’m not sure I could have got you a genuine 3oz roach today never mind the usual 4oz plus ones. Well the biggest ones probably just scraped that but the average was only a couple ounces and they don’t even particularly interest me at that size! Were about twice the size of the flipping rudd though 😅. PS obviously I do know the occasional one I photograph is actually about 3oz just most are a bit bigger, as you well know 😉

Thanks mate. Must say after a couple gruellers on the canal a bit of easy fishing was what I needed really. Wasn’t quite as easy as yesterday (couldn’t believe the skimmer stamp then) but certainly plenty of action 👍🏻
You should of maybe tried feeding micros and fish soft pellets/expanders,or corn, you’d of avoided all those nuisance fish, caught carp and better stamp skimmers ...,on single maggot it’s obvious you’re going to get bitted out all day 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

The main thing is ,you got out ,made an effort and most importantly helped 2 loved members of your family, you relieved some of the tension snd boredom, all 3 if you slept well im guessing 😴 with a settled happy minds 😉 😀

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You should of maybe tried feeding micros and fish soft pellets/expanders,or corn, you’d of avoided all those nuisance fish, caught carp and better stamp skimmers ...,on single maggot it’s obvious you’re going to get bitted out all day 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Yeah got caught out today. Took a whole array of pellets plus worm yesterday and ended up not using them as was getting plenty of skimmers plus the Rudd didn't turn up til late on. Therefore went in with just maggots and bread for the hook for today thinking it would be similar but that touch more warmth had got the Rudd going nuts a lot earlier. Did consider admitting defeat and attacking them with the whip but thought that a bit risky with the carp. Once the other anglers had left we balled in liquidised bread squeezed loosely so it suspended which sidetracked the Rudd so we got back onto the better fish. Just couldn't really do that when others were there as a breath of wind and some poor sod would end up with a bait ball of Rudd in their peg 😂 Didn't really mind though this weekends just been about catching fish really can get a bit more focused now the winter rust has been shaken off 👍🏻

The main thing is ,you got out ,made an effort and most importantly helped 2 loved members of your family, you relieved some of the tension snd boredom, all 3 if you slept well im guessing 😴 with a settled happy minds 😉 😀
Very true. Fishing has been a godsend in the last year or so that's for sure 👍🏻

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah too right, I’ll be happy to get a bite tomorrow 😂😂
Sounds like you will from what Chris said in the match thread. Where you thinking? The shallower half in the hope it's warmed up a bit quicker or deeper half and hope they're still holed up? I'd probably hedge my bets and go half way down as wouldn't have a clue 😅

Looking a touch cooler and considerably wetter tomorrow or I'd be out again as its my last week working part time before back to full hours. Next out on Friday is the plan 👍🏻

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Sounds like you will from what Chris said in the match thread. Where you thinking? The shallower half in the hope it's warmed up a bit quicker or deeper half and hope they're still holed up? I'd probably hedge my bets and go half way down as wouldn't have a clue 😅
I was going to go about halfway down the car park bank , unless there’s fish topping when I get there, which might give me a clue, I still think the water is a bit cold for them to be moving down the far end, they usually all start to go down there once the water warms up, ready to spawn

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I was going to go about halfway down the car park bank , unless there’s fish topping when I get there, which might give me a clue, I still think the water is a bit cold for them to be moving down the far end, they usually all start to go down there once the water warms up, ready to spawn

Sounds a good plan, I used to like the carpark bank about halfway down just past where it sort of kinks. Far end was where I'd go for tench once it warmed up, plus was a great view 😍 Would be carp soup down there then. If I caught 4 or 5 tench I'd hook 14-15 carp but lose half to the stagings as they were too much for tench tackle once most had grown to doubles!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Sounds a good plan, I used to like the carpark bank about halfway down just past where it sort of kinks. Far end was where I'd go for tench once it warmed up, plus was a great view 😍 Would be carp soup down there then. If I caught 4 or 5 tench I'd hook 14-15 carp but lose half to the stagings as they were too much for tench tackle once most had grown to doubles!
I honestly haven’t got a clue , I usually just wait till it warms up a bit till I start going there, it’s gonna be Chuck and hope tomorrow 😂😂😂

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
2 days fishing in a row 🙌 absolute dream that. Esp to get out with your Grandad too!!
A very nice haul numbers wise.

What venues do you normally fish when the river season is closed?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
2 days fishing in a row 🙌 absolute dream that. Esp to get out with your Grandad too!!
A very nice haul numbers wise.

What venues do you normally fish when the river season is closed?
Thanks mate 👍🏻

Closed season varies a lot for me really. Historically I’d fish a place called Pimlico farm that unfortunately went syndicate last year. It was a brilliant roach fishery, could do 15-20lb of good sized ones almost every time out that time of year plus up to a handful 1-2lb perch in a session wasn’t unusual either. It has a sensible number of proper carp as well being all doubles. Used to be tench and big roach (home to my only 2 pounder!) but they seemed to die off. Then the other lake was a place called field farm that’s still semi day ticket but involves a joining fee and the new ticket is well over priced. Was a typical chock full almost a fish a chuck commercial that got samey to fish regularly but was a nice big lake so quite a nice place to be and had reasonable stamp silvers. Then with those off the table last year I found a place called fernhill farm which fishing wise was very nice with lots of good roach and skimmers did 20lb a couple times fairly easily. Was just a bit far and expensive for what was a fairly attractive lake but not particularly nice surroundings. Might go back this year but not sure yet as I’ve got a couple big natural lakes on one of my river tickets that are a fairly unknown quantity on the silvers front so will have to see how they turn out. Also closed season pre Covid saw a lot of sea fishing for me. I’d typically fish out of Hampshire once or twice a month for smoothound and bream plus would go to Florida each year for a couple weeks to do inshore/backcounty/flats fishing.