Another Busy Commercial Session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So was back out on the bank today once again at field farm fishery as felt a safe bet venue was needed after the cold night. Was pretty much business as usual for there with tons of fish so a nice day if a little chilly and wet at times. Was the sort of weather you’d consider decent for 1st of April but but ridiculous for 1st of May!

Fished from about 8.45 to about 3.45 and on the silvers front it was pretty near identical to last weekend with about 80 Roach, about 40 Rudd and about 20 skimmers but the carp species numbers had more than halved to maybe 10 tops possibly due to the water having cooled a bit. Once again 2/3 of the silvers were too small to be of any interest with the other 1/3 of a proper stamp so combined they probably bought a bit over 20lb again. The carp were half decent silvers sized and half just about proper sized so probably took me up to about 30lb so another good day in my book.

Set up was identical to last week of the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the 2500 shimano sahara RD reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1g drennan loaded crystal insert waggler to drennan silverfish size 18 to 2lb hook to nylon. Was again set up to dead depth in a bit shy of 4ft of water with hook bait of single red maggot over loose feed of red maggot. Wasn’t quite as simple as fishing down one line at a couple distances this week though as had to chase the fish around the swim a bit. Possibly because the wind kept shifting directions but not really sure tbh.

My grandad was with me again and had a possibly 20lb mixed bag but in the morning at least fewer fish but of a bigger stamp than me. He’d have caught a lot more if he hadn’t spent an hour trying to make a line on those useless fujukas work though! They do really seem rubbish with no more than the odd fish on them from a place that’s stuffed with fish!

All an all another nice day out with plenty of fish. Coldest basically summer session I’ve ever had though don’t think I’ve ever fished in 3 layers in May before! Will be back out again tomorrow but going to try one of the reservoirs as need a change up from the commercials now really.

Few pics of the swim, a few roach of about the size range of the better 1/3 of silvers and a few of carpy selection.
1619884980007.jpeg
1619884993831.jpeg
1619885005493.jpeg
1619885018409.jpeg
1619885029280.jpeg
1619885040507.jpeg
1619885050449.jpeg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Wow that mirror is absolutely beautiful. Good angling well done 👏.
Thanks mate 👍🏻 They're quite nice mirrors there in that they seem to hold their shape rather than go round like they tend to a lot of places.

ev4dawin

Ahhh I see, hopefully going out again in a week or so, but trying to find a place that would be good for me. I've found a place that is heavily stocked which I'll probably visit, but at the moment I'm looking for a better rod and reel (I posted a thread about it).

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
So was back out on the bank today once again at field farm fishery as felt a safe bet venue was needed after the cold night. Was pretty much business as usual for there with tons of fish so a nice day if a little chilly and wet at times. Was the sort of weather you’d consider decent for 1st of April but but ridiculous for 1st of May!

Fished from about 8.45 to about 3.45 and on the silvers front it was pretty near identical to last weekend with about 80 Roach, about 40 Rudd and about 20 skimmers but the carp species numbers had more than halved to maybe 10 tops possibly due to the water having cooled a bit. Once again 2/3 of the silvers were too small to be of any interest with the other 1/3 of a proper stamp so combined they probably bought a bit over 20lb again. The carp were half decent silvers sized and half just about proper sized so probably took me up to about 30lb so another good day in my book.

Set up was identical to last week of the 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the 2500 shimano sahara RD reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 1g drennan loaded crystal insert waggler to drennan silverfish size 18 to 2lb hook to nylon. Was again set up to dead depth in a bit shy of 4ft of water with hook bait of single red maggot over loose feed of red maggot. Wasn’t quite as simple as fishing down one line at a couple distances this week though as had to chase the fish around the swim a bit. Possibly because the wind kept shifting directions but not really sure tbh.

My grandad was with me again and had a possibly 20lb mixed bag but in the morning at least fewer fish but of a bigger stamp than me. He’d have caught a lot more if he hadn’t spent an hour trying to make a line on those useless fujukas work though! They do really seem rubbish with no more than the odd fish on them from a place that’s stuffed with fish!

All an all another nice day out with plenty of fish. Coldest basically summer session I’ve ever had though don’t think I’ve ever fished in 3 layers in May before! Will be back out again tomorrow but going to try one of the reservoirs as need a change up from the commercials now really.

Few pics of the swim, a few roach of about the size range of the better 1/3 of silvers and a few of carpy selection.
1619884980007.jpeg
1619884993831.jpeg
1619885005493.jpeg
1619885018409.jpeg
1619885029280.jpeg
1619885040507.jpeg
1619885050449.jpeg
Another good session for you pal 👍- well done again.
It’s a nice little fishery this one. A regular near me yesterday was complaining that the carp fishing was slow and his theory was that they are about to start spawning..I can see from your pic you weren’t too far from where I fished either.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice Roach . Good report.
Thanks mate

Another good session for you pal 👍- well done again.
It’s a nice little fishery this one. A regular near me yesterday was complaining that the carp fishing was slow and his theory was that they are about to start spawning..I can see from your pic you weren’t too far from where I fished either.
Thanks mate was a nice session indeed.

No chance the carp are considering spawning yet as the waters needs to be over about 17 degrees I believe and it was 11.5 today after 13 last weekend when it had been a warmer week. I’m pretty sure it’s the cold that had slowed them down as were a lot more about last weekend. The roach seem to have almost finished spawning now though after a late start for them this year. The better ones were almost all spawn bound a couple weeks ago but just the odd one was today.

And yeah pretty close swim wise. Prefer that bank as you have the sun on top of you rather than in your face and it’s quite sheltered. Is a nice place really, big enough that it feels like you’re fishing a proper water rather than a pond plus has lots of variety species wise.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Completely
Thanks mate

Thanks mate was a nice session indeed.

No chance the carp are considering spawning yet as the waters needs to be over about 17 degrees I believe and it was 11.5 today after 13 last weekend when it had been a warmer week. I’m pretty sure it’s the cold that had slowed them down as were a lot more about last weekend. The roach seem to have almost finished spawning now though after a late start for them this year. The better ones were almost all spawn bound a couple weeks ago but just the odd one was today.

And yeah pretty close swim wise. Prefer that bank as you have the sun on top of you rather than in your face and it’s quite sheltered. Is a nice place really, big enough that it feels like you’re fishing a proper water rather than a pond plus has lots of variety species wise.
Definitely too cold for them to be spawning then 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Completely

Definitely too cold for them to be spawning then 👍
Everything's a couple weeks behind this year it seems. Catching spawn bound roach in May is pretty unusual around here for example. I can't recall ever doing it before today so can't have happened to me often. Can see it in the foliage as well can't you nowhere is anything like as green as it would usually be by now. Been a weird month or so weather wise!