Another break

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The only time I have seen a rod break in two places at once was a very overloaded rod with the butt pointing out in front and the tip doubled over when the line snapped and the recoil snapped the rod in two places about a foot apart.
I have only snapped two rods in the last 40 years one was a Mach 3 shakey 9 foot feeder casting a small method and I knew it was my fault pushing for a few yards more distance towards a rush bed and the other was a 12 foot sphere were the reel seat fitted was wrong and it went wobbly but this was a known issue with a faulty batch all my other 3 spheres and the replacement butt have been fine.
We had a run of Mach 3 pellet wagglers that broke cleanly in the tip section all were replaced FOC .
In other news Shakespeare are bringing out Superteam/Mach 3 new rods and reels in the new year or sooner which will be interesting to see as they lost their way a bit under the previous owners.

davej1981

People often ask me why I never use a pole. Threads like this confirm my choice. I have been fishing for 30 years and have never snapped a rod, I only snapped a landing net handle when I fell on it. On the other hand I see countless threads from people who have broken a pole, or a section of it. Ill stick with my rods thanks.
Since ive come back to fishing ive noticed so many posts and seen so many adverts about poles with broken sections. I never remember many poles breaking 20+ years ago and its one of the reasons im still using my old pole. I can only assume in a bid to make the lighter and stiffer it has also made them more brittle

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have been fishing for over 40 years and have only ever broken 2 rods, one was recently it was a Frenzee waggler rod and broke on its very 1st cast and was replaced foc the other was a few years ago and completely my fault when I trod on the tip section of a Tri-cast float rod again was replaced by tri-cast even though the rod was nearly 20 years old.
Like others I can't help thinking your friend is doing something wrong, especially the rods he is breaking, they are fairly robust float rods, if they had been delicate light action float rods maybe.... But they are not they are well thought of rods made by a trusted manufacturer and are catching the fish they were designed to catch... You have to ask the question is he storing/handling them badly away from the bank? or is it something he is doing while fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Much to @Peter 's mirth, I broke a new rod once at Alders, it was one of those days when everything that could go wrong went wrong. Fresh out of the bag, it was a bargain in an AD clearance sale, the first cast with a loaded method feeder and half the tip section went with the feeder :eek:
To be fair to AD they went the extra mile to get me a complete replacement despite being out of stock.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
The only rod I’ve ever broken was aged about 12 when the string tying a fibreglass float rod to my bicycle cross bar untied and I ended up in a grass verge with a snapped handle section - luckily dad knew someone who made the canoes for the local scout group and they did an amazing repair. Oh that we still used fibreglass rods.

The thing with the OP is that it’s a “yank & bank” which implies it is a hefty piece of kit rather than a reed thin delicate match float rod & if it were a faulty batch then there would surely be more reports floating around on the internet as users tend to be prompt reporting such issues.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I posted a week or so ago about my regular fishing mate who snapped the end off his Yank & bank 13 ft power float rod on his first fish with it .....the local shop gave him a new top from another rod. ( his last one)
So yesterday was the first outing with the new rod section since the original break. Alan was soon into a carp around 5 lbs .and when half an hour later he was in again. I decided to see what he was doing and stood next to him as he landed another around 7lb. I commented that he was having better luck with the "new rod" than he had with the previous one.
I saw him land it and walked away as he was unhooking it on his mat.....all All was well till he walked up to me 2 minutes later rather upset. As he picked the rod up ( it was leaning safely on waters edge rushes ) he noticed the top had broken again this time cleanly in 2 places..... So it happened on his second fish this time
Interested to see what the shop says......perhaps it's a bad batch...Who knows ?.
Id try another rod just to satisfy my curiosity.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Well the broken rod was returned to the shop and replaced by the shop. The shop owner though it must have been a bad batch and was surprised by the two clean breaks....but it happens he said. Alan decided he did not want another Yank and Bank.........and in the end decided on a Shimano power float of some sort 13ft again. I'm interested to see how this one goes.

richox12

Not at all......he is a very experienced anger Ive fished with him all over the place for 40 plus years...never had a break in that time. He went on to land another 13 carp yesterday on the rod I repaired for him a couple of weeks ago......these included a 13lb and a 10 lb . No way he is clumsy.....It's a very strange one.
I agree all very odd.....but I saw him net the second fish and the rod was intact as far as I could see.

However.....after battling a carp and being perfect the rod wasn't pleasantly sleeping on the rushes all by itself and suddenly decided to self-destruct.

richox12

The only time I have seen a rod break in two places at once was a very overloaded rod with the butt pointing out in front and the tip doubled over when the line snapped and the recoil snapped the rod in two places about a foot apart.

Exactly. Quite common. Snapping into several pieces is common with a severely over-loaded rod. They explode !

richox12

Since ive come back to fishing ive noticed so many posts and seen so many adverts about poles with broken sections. I never remember many poles breaking 20+ years ago and its one of the reasons im still using my old pole. I can only assume in a bid to make the lighter and stiffer it has also made them more brittle

Really it's because more of it is reported and spoken about now than ever before.

richox12

Was it a clean snap or did carbon splinter?
A clean snap generally = manufacture fault

Not strictly true. If a decent carbon section is overloaded it will snap clean. And into more than one piece. I'd expect a fault to be other than clean mostly. But it's a bit of a 'grey' area.

rudd

Site Supporter
Not strictly true. If a decent carbon section is overloaded it will snap clean. And into more than one piece. I'd expect a fault to be other than clean mostly. But it's a bit of a 'grey' area.
Hence generally ?