Another break

BarryS

Gone fishing
I posted a week or so ago about my regular fishing mate who snapped the end off his Yank & bank 13 ft power float rod on his first fish with it .....the local shop gave him a new top from another rod. ( his last one)
So yesterday was the first outing with the new rod section since the original break. Alan was soon into a carp around 5 lbs .and when half an hour later he was in again. I decided to see what he was doing and stood next to him as he landed another around 7lb. I commented that he was having better luck with the "new rod" than he had with the previous one.
I saw him land it and walked away as he was unhooking it on his mat.....all All was well till he walked up to me 2 minutes later rather upset. As he picked the rod up ( it was leaning safely on waters edge rushes ) he noticed the top had broken again this time cleanly in 2 places..... So it happened on his second fish this time
Interested to see what the shop says......perhaps it's a bad batch...Who knows ?.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I would have though if it was a manufacturing fault it would have broken playing the first Carp.
If it didnt break playing the second, bigger, Carp and he only noticed it afterwards perhaps he needs a boat rod or beachcaster as it sounds more like operator error ;)

BarryS

Gone fishing
Not at all......he is a very experienced anger Ive fished with him all over the place for 40 plus years...never had a break in that time. He went on to land another 13 carp yesterday on the rod I repaired for him a couple of weeks ago......these included a 13lb and a 10 lb . No way he is clumsy.....It's a very strange one.
I agree all very odd.....but I saw him net the second fish and the rod was intact as far as I could see.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Not at all......he is a very experienced anger Ive fished with him all over the place for 40 plus years...never had a break in that time. He went on to land another 13 carp yesterday on the rod I repaired for him a couple of weeks ago......these included a 13lb and a 10 lb . No way he is clumsy.....It's a very strange one.
I agree all very odd.....but I saw him net the second fish and the rod was intact as far as I could see.
Ha! Until he trod on it probably 😂😂he’s had more breaks than Ronnie O’Sullivan

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Surely got to be a dud batch even with operator error that doesn’t feel like a rod you could break easily.

BarryS

Gone fishing
He couldnt have trodden on it as it was leant on some rushes with slack line while he unhooked the fish on his mat.. So the tip was probably 5ft up in the air. I agree its an odd one.

carphauler

Roachhauler
There has been bad batches of rods in the past, when I started up again I bought some cheap leeda rods, the first 2 snapped at the tips, was told by shop owner who had close ties to leeda and Shakespeare that it was due to the top sections being cooked in the autoclave for too long, also heard of of it on certain Maver rods years ago.
When I bought my G20 pole brand new, got it home and there were rings of frayed carbon in the 13m section, took it back and it was replaced at Fosters.

CarpCatcher86

People often ask me why I never use a pole. Threads like this confirm my choice. I have been fishing for 30 years and have never snapped a rod, I only snapped a landing net handle when I fell on it. On the other hand I see countless threads from people who have broken a pole, or a section of it. Ill stick with my rods thanks.

rudd

Site Supporter
I would have though if it was a manufacturing fault it would have broken playing the first Carp.
If it didnt break playing the second, bigger, Carp and he only noticed it afterwards perhaps he needs a boat rod or beachcaster as it sounds more like operator error ;)
I would say a golf club 😂😂😂

rudd

Site Supporter
Was it a clean snap or did carbon splinter?
A clean snap generally = manufacture fault

CarpCatcher86

You do realise that the Daiwa Yank'N'Bank in the OP is a rod and not a pole?
Sorry, I missed a whole line out of my reply. I missed saying, this is the first time I have heard of a rod breaking, usually you see people posting threads mentioning another broken pole.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sorry, I missed a whole line out of my reply. I missed saying, this is the first time I have heard of a rod breaking, usually you see people posting threads mentioning another broken pole.

I’ve had a few broken rods but most involving doors and was only once me shutting one every other time it was someone else! Did break one in the line of duty although was completely user error through undergunning myself and not paying attention.