Another braid question

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Before you cast make sure your braid isn't around the tip eye.
When filling your feeder keep a bit of a bend in your tip and the line tight to the feeder. If the line wraps around the rod and you wind in the tip will snap, there's no stretch at all.
Wet it, l take my spool off and pop into a bait box filled with water and a squirt of fairy liquid when l'm setting up.
Its fantastic stuff but can be a tip wrecker if you're not careful.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Just before using the reel at any time ALWAYS give the line above the reel a little pull so to make sure it ain't twisted up, or pop goes the tip.🤨🤨🤨😟😖

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Embarrassingly i did this to my brand new MAP Parabolix SUV, first outing had a frap up and didn't realise (doesn't usually happen to me o_O) So went full tilt with the cast 75yds where i was clipped up and the tip went crunch and was next to the feeder and broken when i wound in. :(

corkycat

Thank you for all the tips (no pun intended) and for all the good advice. So much I wasn't aware of. And there was me worrying about cutting my finger. Lamb.

Ringe

Site Supporter
Oh - and remember not to strike! Or you’ll simply have swapped from being frustrated using mono, to being doubly frustrated using braid. As above Matrix submerge is pretty good in 0.10, I simply tie a small loop in the end and then tie about 30’ of 6lb Maxima to this using a tucked blood knot - a la Ringer. Good luck!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I've been using fireline since it first came out and only recently reversed it, well about 10 years ago, still on it now 30+ years later. Best money I've ever spent. If it ain't broke don't fix it l say.

Ben Field

Don’t fill the spool right to the lip and you won’t need to do any of the above. Braid is so supple that being under-loaded a little doesn’t create enough friction on the spool lip to hamper casting, but adds enough to create the same effect that attempting to add water creates, if that makes sense. Trying to load it to the same level as you would with mono is the ultimate problem that most match men create for themselves. It looks cool when it’s right on the lip, but it’s exactly what causes the problem too. I’m not talking a lot, but bringing it in 2mm or 3mm will eradicate problems. Wind knots are caused by slack line getting back on to the spool, or the line too easily slipping off of the lip. Stop filling your spools to the lip and the problem goes away. The water theory is only prevalent in the coarse fishing world where we’ve given ourselves a problem to fix. Elsewhere, there have preventative techniques for a long time.

TimFB

As other people have said braid hates being slack. My top tips are...always close the bail by hand, never using the handle and having closed the bail by hand give the braid a little tug to make sure there is no slack. You will be amazed how many times you pull out a small loop of slack braid from the spool that would have caused tangles/wind knots on your next cast. If it is windy, get that line sunk and all the slack out of it as soon as you can. Lots of braids float....so you need to make a real conscious effort to do it.

My last top tip is a good cricket tip too...”soft hands”. It has no stretch, so do everything after casting with a bit more care.