Another braid question

corkycat

I have always resisted the need to use braid for heavy feeder fishing, until today that is. Its my first day in Ireland and I have had a nightmare fishing at distance using mono. Fellow British anglers over here have told me not to waste my time so tomorrow I will convert to Braidism. I will go to the tackle shop in Enniskillen, buy some braid, load it on, and learn how to attach a shock leader.

Question is this; I've read that braid can cut into your skin...is it necessary to protect the finger that traps the line upon the cast?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No you’ll be fine as long as you don’t hook it with your finger, if you feather it you’ll have no problems.

Total

Site Supporter
Casting of a long mono shock leader will alleviate the need of braid cutting into your finger/skin

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
any good Corkycat ? You fishing the Erne
as you mentioned you using Shockleader, you will be casting off the leader .

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I fish braid direct, every week, I’ve never cracked off, or cut my finger, I have 3/4ft of mono, to make my rig, and that’s it

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
remember to wet the braid before casting to avoid wind knots (y)

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Make sure that you buy 8 stand as opposed to 4.

4 strand braid has a flat profile and tends to cut in on itself on the spool, 8 strand helps to prevent that quite a lot.

corkycat

Brill thanks, I wouldn't have known that.

Also what is a "wind knot"? Does it refer to wind as in wnding a clock, or wind as in blowing a gale? Sorry, dummy.

mbuna_matt

The braid is fairly light and the wind can blow it around and create lose knots, once wet the braid is heavier and less prone to tangle..... a good idea to give it a good soaking when first winding on (spool in a full bucket in my case) and then dunk the spool before each use. Not essential but it will make life easier

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Very thin and usually dry braids can overtake themselves leaving the spool is probably the best description of mysterious knots forming after casting, some people never suffer with them others do so its possibly something to do with casting style.
Get some 0.10 Matrix Submerge or Guru Pulse8 or Browning Cenex all of which will do the job and the Acolyte braid that has just come out is cheaper and looks the part but I have not used it unlike the three I listed above.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yes definitely wet it first as it does cut down on the wind knots which are a lot harder/often impossible to undo compared to tangles with mono.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use an old additive bottle filled with lake water to soak my braid before every cast, it takes but a few seconds to give it a squirt.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
@corkycat Be careful your feeder rod quiver tip eyes are big enough to allow the shockleader knot through.
Otherwise fish braid straight through.
I found out the hard way!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I treat all new braid with a fly fishing product called Leadersink which lasts about three matches before I treat it again, just spread some all over the spool so it reaches all the braid.

SteveAmo

As other have already said wet yout braid as soon as you tackle up, I use a mini atomiser with diluted washing up liquid in.

For the first hour of fishing I give it a couple of squirts every 10 minutes or so to make sure it’s well soaked.

I learnt the hard way with wind knots and a broken tip!

Keep your braid well wetted and you should be OK.

Hope that helps.

davylad

Site Supporter
Put it on the spool wet and TIGHT, then if you can get on a field, walk it all out and wind back slow (TIGHT) and get rid of any twist. It's the twist that causes wind knots. Braid can take your finger end off when casting 4 or 5 ounces, but if you have a MONO leader you should be fine. I use a braid leader most of the time when sea fishing, so I use a Cannon clip.