Another Big Matchweight

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Isn't the main difference that big weights of silver fish from natural venues are the natural level of fish that environment supports while some commercials are overstock well beyond that limit. I enjoy fishing matches on commercials but I don't see the need for some of excessive weight.
I’ve seen natural lakes that are stuffed full of stunted rudd and roach, they are overstocked by lack of predation.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Regardless of the match we all go in them with our eyes open. For some that means 5lb carp every bung, others it could mean fishing for a bite. I know some of our winter league matches were won with ounces. The point is we knew what we were letting ourselves in for, as do the big weight men now. Could I do it? Once in a while perhaps then I would be bored.
As an aside I am joint match sec for a local club and my colleague has a different view to me. He is into big weight carp venues and I prefer a bit of allsorts. The result, two different types of fishery booked and all are happy.

alsur

Site Supporter
I’ve seen natural lakes that are stuffed full of stunted rudd and roach, they are overstocked by lack of predation.
Yes that's why they are stunted naturally there is only a certain weight of fish a lake can support, it's not the same as deliberate overstocking by more than lake can support. Personally I don't see anything wrong in overstocking a lake that is fished regularly just I feel there are limits.

Ann Ad

Site Supporter
And from an hour up the road - and I think they have a 50lb net limit so this must have required 15 keepnets

For a fishery that apparently is most concerned about aquaculture, the fishes habitat and conservation that lake must contain an immense amount of natural food to sustain all those fish - or, and more likely in my opinion, they've followed all the other commercials in trying to stuff as many fish as possible into the smallest available space and depend on anglers bait to prevent the fish starving to death.

Simon
We have not stocked for about 7 years our fish breed each year as the conditions as excellent for them, we do daily water tests and are strict with what bait is allowed in to keep fish in top condition and water quality is great also because of this also , then our weight limits in keepnets that we supply apply

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Chris had 190 fish for that weight.
Net limits are 70lb if its between 70-80 you only weigh 60lb and if its over 80 you loose the lot.
He fished a short method all day,
You have a combination of a very good angler (lives on site) on a good peg with lots of space (Wed are different to Sundays )
and the correct conditions.
Matches are 5 1/2 hours long.
When I started to fish the venue the fish were less than 1lb.
The lakes are only match fished, and in times of need the fish are fed.
With the correct gear and skill you can safely land fish quickly especially when they are close.
For anyone who thinks its "hook a duck" come and try it, its not easy to get big weights its a skill.

That weight is now the match record.

Last edited:

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
6 hour match > 100lb an hour > 12 fish averaging 8lb > 1 fish every five minutes = some going
I couldn’t net an 8lb carp, bait up and ship back out in 5min.
Must have been pleasure anglers as match men are sensible and don’t stuff keepnets with fat carp.
This makes my pee steaming when people say pleasure anglers can’t be trusted to use a keepnet