Another big match weight

alsur

Site Supporter
My first thought was I wouldn't want to be on the scales.

Not my cup of tea but each to their own.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Just for those that are unaware, the pools concerned are only used for matches. There is no pleasure fishing on them at all. I understand that they aren't fished every day of the week. I tend to think that these circumstances contribute significantly to the big weights achieved pretty regularly. However, as I've not fished a match in over twenty years, I've never even seen the four match lakes at the back of The Oaks complex.

Total

Site Supporter
My best match weight is 330lbs. That was Carp probably averaging no more than 1½lbs apiece.
Catching those sort of weights in a match is hard work, in all honesty I probably couldn't compete in that sort of scenario nowadays.
Arrans?:unsure:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I was a young angler back in the 90s I remember reading the Angling Times match results and being starry eyed at the 100lb+ weights coming from fisheries like Moorlands Farm, so much so I used to get my dad to drive me there. Never did quite as well as that. I even entered an evening match there as a kid and got thrashed on the next peg by the match winner. My best weight was around 160lb of small Carp caught on maggot shallow from somewhere else we went as a club to win the match. A lot of things have changed since those days.

scuttster

Site Supporter
Just had a look at their website. The match rules state 70lbs max per net that means the winner would have had a minimum of 7 keep nets in the water! or do they have a weigh mid match?

davej1981

When I was a young angler back in the 90s I remember reading the Angling Times match results and being starry eyed at the 100lb+ weights coming from fisheries like Moorlands Farm, so much so I used to get my dad to drive me there. Never did quite as well as that. I even entered an evening match there as a kid and got thrashed on the next peg by the match winner. My best weight was around 160lb of small Carp caught on maggot shallow from somewhere else we went as a club to win the match. A lot of things have changed since those days.
That was my memories too as a teen. Headlines if a 100lb weight was managed. Down my way that wouldve been places like gold valley and wylands, but definitely remember hearing moorlands! I can remember be so excited when i first got to fish gold valley in the old angling times sunmer league thinking i could potentially catch 100lb

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My best match weight is 330lbs. That was Carp probably averaging no more than 1½lbs apiece.
Catching those sort of weights in a match is hard work, in all honesty I probably couldn't compete in that sort of scenario nowadays.
Yep. Agree. I did a 247 on a hot sunny day and I knew about it the following day. And I was ten years younger then. 🤣🤣

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Then you woke up and fell of the sofa!;):p:ROFLMAO:
Stop trying to wriggle out of it. What’s the name of that lady angler that you …….. errrrrrrrr ……. ‘ helped ? And why did it end in a restraining order being taken out against you Mark ? 🤣🤣🤣

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
am, and am always likely to be a match angler and now, pre dominantly, on commercial fisheries. There's a world of difference in catching 200lb of 10lb carp and 200lb of 2lb F1's.... Have done 200lb+ twice this year at Monks (lake 1; lake 2) and several hundreds, fishing was at an avg pace and req'd presentation and bait tweaks to stay in touch

But have had 240lb (nets knocked back so was maybe 280ish) of F1's and I was both Knackered and bored as they crawled up the hook........