Anne Boleyn

JayD

Site Supporter
One thing I've been told I never realised is there have been black people here since Roman times.
Romans took slaves from every country they fought, some were black, so it was more than likely they brought some over with them. There's also evidence of trading with other countries going back before that time, so again it's likely that some of them too were black.

John.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's interesting. I knew about the Windrush but did not realise of any significant population before then. Knew about the Othello the Moor and the black Mercutio but never given it much thought. To me there was a second 'Windrush' just after the millenium where now the make up of cities has changed quite a bit with little Somalias etc. Wonder if in a couple of generations time youngsters will be talking Afrikaans? 😁

JayD

Site Supporter
That's interesting. I knew about the Windrush but did not realise of any significant population before then. Knew about the Othello the Moor and the black Mercutio but never given it much thought. To me there was a second 'Windrush' just after the millenium where now the make up of cities has changed quite a bit with little Somalias etc. Wonder if in a couple of generations time youngsters will be talking Afrikaans? 😁
During Tudor times our trade links from all over the world increased, especially with the countries of the Med, Africa, and the East. Some black sailors that came over on the ships, settled here, especially in the big ports like London, Liverpool, and Bristol, married locals, and brought up families.
Most of the black kids I knew at school or later, were from the 'Windrush' generation, where their parents came over in the late 40s, 50s.
The increase in immigration in the early 2000s was because because of the change in immigration policy by the Labour Government led by Tony Blair, it made it easier for immigrants to enter the UK.

John.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
During Tudor times our trade links from all over the world increased, especially with the countries of the Med, Africa, and the East. Some black sailors that came over on the ships, settled here, especially in the big ports like London, Liverpool, and Bristol, married locals, and brought up families.
Most of the black kids I knew at school or later, were from the 'Windrush' generation, where their parents came over in the late 40s, 50s.
The increase in immigration in the early 2000s was because because of the change in immigration policy by the Labour Government led by Tony Blair, it made it easier for immigrants to enter the UK.

John.
Same for me re Caribbean descent mates at school. I had a pretty good education but none of this was covered, took a long time afterwards for me to learn of Norman-Arab-Byzantine culture and so on. (y)

JayD

Site Supporter
Same for me re Caribbean descent mates at school. I had a pretty good education but none of this was covered, took a long time afterwards for me to learn of Norman-Arab-Byzantine culture and so on. (y)
I used to be surprised at what was taught in history when my kids were at school, and even more so with what my grandkids are taught now compared to what was taught back in my day.

But I suppose that back then, there was a bit less history to go at.:D

John

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I used to be surprised at what was taught in history when my kids were at school, and even more so with what my grandkids are taught now compared to what was taught back in my day.

But I suppose that back then, there was a bit less history to go at.:D

John
A lot of mine was about 'conceptual' thinking. I remember specifically doing the middle ages, the Tudors, and then the world wars. I think in a way it might have been better this way for me rather than having stuff force fed to me about empire etc which is what I expect is on a lot of the curriculum now.

Flathead

Site Supporter
A lot of roman soldiers were black....many of those who manned Hadrian’s wall.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Most Liverpudlians, Mancs, Londoners or people from Nottingham all sound the same now, Jafaican accent is rife.
You must be going to different parts of Manchester and Liverpool to me then .
As for London never heard any accent like that at wembley arena or in the centre, Nottingham not been there for years .

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I heard some youths in my village say "Stourbridge is wavey". That went over my head. It made me think "and Kidderminster is gravy"... it smells a bit like it in places.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter

A view from Simon Webb. Not one of his best pieces but still interesting.

CarpCatcher86

surely theres' a racist, black lives matter issue here,,,,Anne Boleyn was beheaded !
Black Lives Matter is racist as it implies that other lives don't matter.
No one had to lose their head to work that one out.
To be honest, there isn't an issue with a black actress playing Anne Boleyn being beheaded, Anne Boleyn was as white as the driven snow and is now being portrayed by a black actress. The beheading isn't the issue here.
The problem isn't with black tudors either, the problem is historical innacuracy.

Last edited:

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Black Lives Matter is racist as it implies that other lives don't matter.
No one had to lose their head to work that one out.
indeed, my comment was based on the spark that started the whole black lives issue, the death of George Floyd and here we have the death of a black female at the hands of a white husband.

Personally the whole thing has alienated me. I hate racism of any kind, I lived and grew up in London in a very cosmopolitan, multi cultural society with friends. colleagues. team mates from almost every ethnicity but having it constantly rammed down my throat effectively calling me racist because I am a white male and trying to erase our history now leaves me feeling cold and unsupportive to the BLM cause.

CarpCatcher86

indeed, my comment was based on the spark that started the whole black lives issue, the death of George Floyd and here we have the death of a black female at the hands of a white husband.

Personally the whole thing has alienated me. I hate racism of any kind, I lived and grew up in London in a very cosmopolitan, multi cultural society with friends. colleagues. team mates from almost every ethnicity but having it constantly rammed down my throat effectively calling me racist because I am a white male and trying to erase our history now leaves me feeling cold and unsupportive to the BLM cause.
To be precise, we have the death of a white woman being played by a black female actress at the hands of her white husband.
The colour of the skin of the actress portraying Anne Boleyn along what happens/will happen to her is meaningless as the real Anne Boleyn was white.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
To be precise, we have the death of a white woman being played by a black female actress at the hands of her white husband.
The colour of the skin of the actress portraying Anne Boleyn along what happens/will happen to her is meaningless as the real Anne Boleyn was white.
semantics....my message is more about the alienation BLM is now causing and potentially slowing the road to equality.....

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Firstly, BLM existed for many years prior to George Floyd's murder
Secondly, saying "black lives matter" does not imply that other lives don't matter and I have never heard anyone on the BLM side claim that.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Firstly, BLM existed for many years prior to George Floyd's murder
Secondly, saying "black lives matter" does not imply that other lives don't matter and I have never heard anyone on the BLM side claim that.
Until a banner saying "White Lives Matter" is shown , That is deemed as a racist banner. As was commented on when a plane flew over a football ground towing a said banner.

Robwooly

I've got lots of BBC friends ( British Born Chinese, that's their term not mine) and they hate BLM as it is only interested in Black interests with the odd Asian soundbite thrown in. Anyone who thinks BLM wants equality is a bit naive. It's a racist movement according to most I speak to and there's no denying it's racially divisive.

They need to cal it ALL lives matter but wont as it's American, the most divided country in the developed world, bet hey lets copy them eh