Aniseed ...

Costie

I've used aniseed previously many moons ago with mixed results. From memory, it worked better in warm weather than in the winter time, but that was on small ponds and small lakes.

A buddy of mine used to swear by it as an attractor on red maggots when fishing rivers in the autumn as the weather cooled.

At the end of the day, if it boosts your confidence you'll feel better using it. I swear by Strawberry flavour above all others, but that's just me.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Probably because nobody is, or has used it, so dont have an opinion to give. This time of year l stick to sweet flavours, not spice

billywhizz

I'm pretty certain that Aniseed "albeit many years ago" was banned by quite a lot of angling associations including the NFA because it was a pretty successful additive.

If I remember rightly the proper potent stuff was bought from the Chemist as Anise or Aniseed Oil, it wasn't the flavouring stuff you buy from the supermarket.

May also answer your question about the lack of responses

float-dipper

It was used many years ago and had a reputation for being a good attractor.
Never used it myself.
From the lack of mention in the angling press you can guess that it isn't used now.

Towpath Tyke

Hi mate, I use it during autumn on the cut on my casters, hemp, tares, or elderberries. I use aniseed essential oils (WARNING - you need very little).

Roach love it [:T]

Last edited: