Angling Trust - Update for Anglers, Clubs & Fisheries

azt1

Site Supporter
Well said Neil of the nene. I couldn't understand how this discussion could still be going on after your post yesterday when you explained so clearly the TVP attitude to fishing matches - hopefully now this thread will tail off and die.
But I bet it wont.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
How stupid do you think I am?

I had a long discussion with both officers and did raise the issue of gatherings and not meeting with more than one person from outside your own household (Regulation 7 as they told me). Both officers, independently, told me that in their opinion holding fishing matches was NOT, repeat NOT illegal as long as Social Distancing guidelines were adhered to. So it is not at all clear to them that matches ARE illegal.

I don't think it would have helped for me to act as a Barrack Room Lawyer and explained that they, the enforcers of the law, had made an error in their interpretation. I am sure they would be interested to hear you tell them that they are wrong. My conversations were the result of my raising a query that was dealt with under reference URN 206 15/05/2020. I'm sure if you contact TVP and quote that number they will put you in touch with the inspector and sergeant I spoke with. You can then use you legal training to convince them the error of their interpretation and application of the law. My own legal training only extend to courses in contract and banking law passed as part of my professional qualification. Law was not part of my university degree profile.

I'm sure your superior intellect will carry the day and TVP will change their stance due to your expert knowledge.
Well you're very touchy today aren't you. I didn't expect that sort of a reply from an intelligent person as yourself. Having worked with the police on many occasions regarding angling law enforcement, they often admit to not knowing much about it and need to be reminded. In general conversation as you had, and as we are having, I would certainly have explained to them about angling matches being classed as an 'event' and as such falls within the law of a planned public or social occasion, from which last time I remember was banned by law.

grey

Site Supporter
He can't fish it again yet anyway. I took his membership book off him, without that, he can't fish. It's now up to the committee to decide whether or not he get's it back.

Did he have a rod licence? :D

Seriously Ukzero1, that is exactly the role and need for a local bailiff - well done mate.

Most of us are all doing our best under current restrictions, and it's up to the The Angling Trust, the Police and local bailiffs such Ukzero1 to ensure angling is run as smoothly as possible.

It doesn't mean that mistakes won't be made, but this guy was clearly not doing his best and deserves the loss of his membership IMO.

I don't see very much involvement of the EA whilst this is going on... does anyone know they official stance/advice?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's not that long ago that people highlighted the fact that the police in many areas did not know certain aspects of poaching were actually illegal - the police are the upholders of the law but it doesn't necessarily mean they know it fully

And never start a sentence with "How stupid do you think I am? " as it is always going to end the wrong way :)

nejohn

Site Supporter
As usual the Welsh assembly can make an utter dogs breakfast of fishing in Wales ......1st we can fish and even drive to fish but we must stay local ....now apparently we can only fish if we can walk or cycle to the venue and even when we get there the police may move you on as they are not sure if fishing is classed as exercise.....and everyone thinks Boris was vague...!!
Certainly put paid to my plans, I know a small pool about 4 miles away that I had organised a session on next Friday....looks like that has gone tits up....I can walk to the canal but the tow path is narrow and packed with walkers and cyclists so going nowhere near that....nearest lake is about a 30 minute walk .....wonder if Kathy could drop me off on her way to the supermarket ....hmmm that's a thought

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Things might be different again by next week mate. Hopefully for the better.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I could have sworn blind that Wales was part of the UK

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When they come up with stuff like this, its easy to get annoyed..

"Advice from Angling Cymru initially said you could drive locally, before being amended on Friday to fall into line with guidelines set out by the Welsh Government and National Resource Wales.
Those guidelines now state only disabled people can drive to go fishing."

The way I see it is devolvement should not have any say on the way the country is being managed in relation to CV.
All resources are being pooled as well as expertise and health services. Every area of the UK should be treat as one until the UK government get this nailed down

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter

"Advice from Angling Cymru initially said you could drive locally, before being amended on Friday to fall into line with guidelines set out by the Welsh Government and National Resource Wales.

The way I see it is devolvement should not have any say on the way the country is being managed in relation to CV.
All resources are being pooled as well as expertise and health services. Every area of the UK should be treat as one until the UK government get this nailed down
I think it likely we will see more localisation not less, as down here we have a very low rate of infection and death, so have a totally different R rate and requirement for easing the restrictions than, for example, Manchester.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can see that also, but localisation rules set by the UK government and advisors, not some elected officials in a devolved party

nejohn

Site Supporter

The irony is I know a lake with a garden centre almost next door....I can drive to the garden centre and interact with other people but I can't drive to the lake and be on my own....niether would be essential trips but one is ok and the other isn't.....but it's the one that puts more people in danger that is ok to do

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can't you get a lift to the garden centre and walk next door to the fishery ;)