Angling Trust lobby Government to keep the country fishing

Angling Trust

RSS Feed
As the country waits to see what form the new national lockdown is likely to take the Angling Trust has been busy pressing the case for fishing to be allowed to continue. In a letter to Cabinet Ministers we say:

“We know that socially distanced outdoor sports like angling, golf, cycling etc are not in any way part of the problem. In fact, they contribute multiple benefits not only in terms of health and mental wellbeing during these difficult times but in reducing pressure on parks, footpaths and other open spaces where people would otherwise gather if prohibited from pursuing their chosen pastimes.

Our purpose in writing to you is to urge you not to place wholly unnecessary restrictions on angling and the £4bn angling trade which supports up to 40,000 jobs in the UK. Recreational fishing has been practised safely and responsibly in England since May 13th in accordance with the approved COVID compliant guidelines produced by the Angling Trust.”

You can read the full text of our letter here .

Angling Trust CEO Jamie Cook said:

It would be absurd for ministers to unnecessarily restrict healthy activities like angling which are demonstrably beneficial for our health and well being at this critical time. We firmly believe that largely solitary, outdoor, socially distanced, activities like angling, golf and cycling should not to be restricted under any new lockdown provisions beyond that which was authorised on May 10th.

We now have approved guidelines in place covering all aspects on angling including: individuals, clubs and fisheries, coaches and guides, charter boats and competitions. These COVID compliant guidelines have been widely accepted across angling and to the best of our knowledge there have been no known examples where angling activity has contributed to the spread of the virus.

We will keep anglers updated as the situation unfolds

The post Angling Trust lobby Government to keep the country fishing appeared first on Angling Trust.

Continue reading...

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I think I'd struggle if I couldn't go fishing again... I had a bit of a wobble during the last one...☹

richox12

Does that mean tackle shops might be allowed to stay open as they are 'essential' ? And in turn their suppliers can stay open and distribute to them ??

Silver fan 82

Does that mean tackle shops might be allowed to stay open as they are 'essential' ? And in turn their suppliers can stay open and distribute to them ??
At the moment they are saying only "essential" shops to stay open. Not sure that this would include tackle shops? Lets hope they can remain open and we can all still go fishing safely.

richox12

I don't think it will include tackle shops either. So you can go fishing (maybe) but can't buy anything to go fishing with might be the case. Existing kit + bread + worms it is.

Unless you cannot travel either.

Whatever happens I just hope the rules are clear.

Arry

Site Supporter
Corn, meat, beans/pulses, cheese, bread, pastes, any pellets you have stashed, anything you have in bait freezers... I can last out a month... maybe 3 if we can still go fishing... my nearest water is a mile from my house... if I travel light I can walk it and call it exercise...😜

Arry

Site Supporter
Oh well looks like my Pilates and Supple Strength classes will be cancelled as they are indoors... might have to go fishing instead...🤩

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Mail order is open so you will be able to get bait, as long as we can go fishing. All will be ok.

Arry

Site Supporter
Might pile into Angling direct wednesday and stock up on a bit of bait

HawkerMan

Site Supporter
My local tackle shop did click & collect the last time and Boris said shops could do this as long as they do it safely.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Im going to book Wednesday off to go just in case but it certainly sounds as if we'll be OK. Seems that common sense has at least prevailed in terms of outdoor activity being safe. Maybe they did actually notice that there were no spikes from the packed beaches and riots.

Mind you there wasn't a spike from pubs either which now aren't allowed but there was from schools and universities which are stil allowed, weird one that 🤔

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
got to be honest and say fishing and all organised sports, even outside exercise should be banned, goes against a lot of things and i know any fishing i have done i have followed the rules but you will always get the odd few who ruin it so easiest way to stop that is make it a blanket ban, makes it easier to police/enforce as well, would have much harsher punishments for rule breakers as well, only way to get everyone to follow the rules, make the penalty harsh enough that people follow the rules.

Silver fan 82

Im going to book Wednesday off to go just in case but it certainly sounds as if we'll be OK. Seems that common sense has at least prevailed in terms of outdoor activity being safe. Maybe they did actually notice that there were no spikes from the packed beaches and riots.

Mind you there wasn't a spike from pubs either which now aren't allowed but there was from schools and universities which are stil allowed, weird one that 🤔
Makes no logical sense mate.

Silver fan 82

got to be honest and say fishing and all organised sports, even outside exercise should be banned, goes against a lot of things and i know any fishing i have done i have followed the rules but you will always get the odd few who ruin it so easiest way to stop that is make it a blanket ban, makes it easier to police/enforce as well, would have much harsher punishments for rule breakers as well, only way to get everyone to follow the rules, make the penalty harsh enough that people follow the rules.
As much as we all still want to be able to get out on the bank you do raise a good point.