Angling Trust forced to suspend national angling competitions for two months

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Mike
I live in a tier 3 area (Manchester) can you advise where in my area I can fish matches.
Within the Greater Manchester area I am sure there will be several club matches that you could attend as a guest if there are no commercial opens.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Spotted this on facebook earlier

1606957048861.png

Make of it what you will - IMO it would appear the AT are leaving clubs to run their own matches as they see fit

Most of the local clubs who run matches on the venues in this area aren't members anyway - two that were have dropped out in the last couple of years and the rest never have been.

Simon

Total

Site Supporter
Spotted this on facebook earlier

1606957048861.png

Make of it what you will - IMO it would appear the AT are leaving clubs to run their own matches as they see fit

Most of the local clubs who run matches on the venues in this area aren't members anyway - two that were have dropped out in the last couple of years and the rest never have been.

Simon

I can give you a bell in the morning now! :oops:;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What the Angling Trust are doing, wrongly in my opinion, is absolving themselves of any responsibility by saying they are not policing what clubs are doing.
However, they are putting forward the guidance from the government and leaving it up to the clubs, anglers and fisheries alike to act and be responsible by following that guidance.

It's irrelevant if clubs, etc are members or not, The Angling Trust is the national governing body representing all game, coarse and sea anglers and angling in England.
Saying "we're not members...." is a bit like the non-union guy in the workplace doing what he wants because he's not a member of the workplace union but who'd still want the benefits of pay rises, support and representation, the same as his colleagues who are union members.

Guidance only works if people are responsible

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As for the post above - Fiona Dennet appears to be asking if it's okay for people in a very high-risk area to mix with people in a lower-risk area for the sake of a fishing match (?) - unbelievable!

Martin Salter should have told her straight, No

JLK

It won't be long before it becomes compulsory to have to pay £30 a year to the AT on top of your licence fee as an angler.
I wonder how many folk would want to do that going forward?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it's anything like on MD's it's hard enough getting people to pay £10 a year to support us.

TBH - If that was the case with the AT , I'd switch off my computer as I've had it to the back teeth with whinging anglers and fisheries over the past 6 months relating to restrictions, I'd not want to see the schitstorm that something like that would create :)

2ts

Site Supporter
It won't be long before it becomes compulsory to have to pay £30 a year to the AT on top of your licence fee as an angler.
I wonder how many folk would want to do that going forward?
Who has the legal power to make the above compulsory,and why would they ?

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Martin Salters' comments are actually "a nonsense". Reason being, and it is a fact, that the majority of people living within an urban city live within 1 mile of an angling watercourse, be it river, canal, pond or reservoir. Travelling from within a tier 3 to a lower tier except for the exemptions given by the Government would be brainless and even the questioning of such is not particularly intelligent.
Winter matches are held every year on my local canal. The same anglers fish Saltaire matches in the next village down from me in tier 3 as the next village up plus one from me, Skipton in tier 2 ?