Angling Trust Competitions

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There appears to be a growing backlash amongst some anglers with regards to the funding of national competitions by the Angling Trust, namely regarding balance sheets, payouts, differences between entry fees and payouts, etc, prompting this statement from the Angling Trust...

"We have received a couple of questions this week regarding full balance sheets for our National competitions. As some will be aware the Angling Trust made the commitment at the start of 2021 to publish full details of each of the National Championships at the end of the year alongside a full breakdown of cost and investment so that competition anglers could see where their money was being spent and invested. This will provide a clear view of the costs associated with each competition to help answer the question ‘where is my money going?’ and we hope that this transparency and detail will be a welcome addition that we will produce annually.

Our objective is to build the competitions our members want to participate in, to develop opportunities for a wider range of anglers to fish in our competitions and ultimately to deliver the biggest events in coarse, game and sea fishing for our members. This process will therefore allow for competition angling members to feedback directly on where they want us to focus our investment, whether that is increasing the £25k currently allocated each year to our England national teams, creating larger prize pots/entry fees or launching brand new competitions this process will give our members a means to share what they want.

These full details will be published following the final National of 2021 – the Division 2 Coarse Championship on 11th September 2021. There will be opportunity for members to ask any questions they have of our CEO in a live session once the completed details are published and please keep an eye out for our competitions feedback survey in the coming weeks and take a few minutes to tell us what you think and how we can deliver more for you?"

Should match organisers, in particular big event organisers such as the Angling Trust be able to charge fees over and above payouts, ie prizes, to cover costs such as administration of the events, wages, etc, plus allocate part of the fees collected towards other projects such as financing/sponsoring nation teams in international events?
Or should it be as some would imply, a nigh on 100% payout relative to that particular event?

In my opinion I suppose it's the same as any major competition retailer, in effect, when you agree to the entry fees and T&C's of the competition, what the business behind the running of the competition does with the monies raised is, in essence, irrelevant to the entrant as long as it meets those T&C's and advertised payouts. Or am I being too simplistic?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m with you @Dave - AT are taking on all the work of organising & promoting the events which is an expensive task. With a club knock up its fair to feel gipped if the majority of the fees don’t go into the payout pot but on events of this scale the various admin costs need covering so as long as a fair chunk of the fees go into payouts it seems fair to me

If you don’t like what’s happening to your entry money don’t enter.

smiffy

Site Supporter
My thoughts are that running costs etc, should all be covered by the subscriptions.
Nearly all matches I fished in later years had the payout details displayed somewhere to avoid disputes like this. These disputes were not unusual.
I assumed the AT were already doing this. But, if they are “double dipping” into peoples hard earned money they should make it obvious on, or before, the day. Not let anglers sit there doing the maths to see if there’s money disappearing.

Last edited:

SteveinSwindon

I get that there will be costs involved in organising big events like this, and believe it is fair for entry money to be used to cover such costs.

However, I do have an issue with entry money being diverted to other events, sponsoring teams or even paying general Trust costs. Surely that should be covered by subscriptions - if not why do such costs exceed subscription income?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Until we see the figures it is pointless speculating about what money is spent where.

As for subscriptions, if these were to be based on all AT's expenses then I am guessing they would have to double as a minimum.

Like all taxation, the fairest system is seen as a combination of flat and targeted. In other words subscriptions are the same for everyone regardless of whether you take part in competitions or not while the extra work of running competitions means those entering pay towards those costs. I doubt non competitive anglers would like to think their subs are paying for competitions they don't enter.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Should match organisers, in particular big event organisers such as the Angling Trust be able to charge fees over and above payouts, ie prizes, to cover costs such as administration of the events, wages, etc, plus allocate part of the fees collected towards other projects such as financing/sponsoring nation teams in international events?
Or should it be as some would imply, a nigh on 100% payout relative to that particular event?

In my opinion I suppose it's the same as any major competition retailer, in effect, when you agree to the entry fees and T&C's of the competition, what the business behind the running of the competition does with the monies raised is, in essence, irrelevant to the entrant as long as it meets those T&C's and advertised payouts. Or am I being too simplistic?
It's a bit of a strange one in reality when it comes to the Angling Trust as supposedly it's a non profit organisation.
As the organisers of their own competitions costs are obviously incurred in terms of administration of the events, wages, etc. However for an angler to enter one of their competitions they have to be a fully paid up member of the Trust. Many match anglers take the view that the cost of their annual membership (£29/£25 if over 65) means that they're being used as cash cows to fund other areas of the Trust's dealings just so that they can fish Nationals and Fishomania matches.
Transparency is at the root of the unrest and is a problem that has never been properly addressed and until it is, it's not going to go away in a hurry as a lot of match anglers feel their match fees should already cover the costs of Nationals and Fishomania matches.

A lot of that unrest dates back to the fiasco that lead to long time Sponsor Drennan withdrawing their Sponsorship from the England International Team after 25 years continuous sponsorship. It's an issue that hasn't really been satisfactorily addressed even now in as much as one of the most successful International teams in our sport still hasn't been able to find a main Title Sponsor to replace Drennan up to this point in time. :(

As for other organisers when it comes to other major competitions such as Golden Rod, Maver Match This etc it seems to be an accepted fact that they do cover the costs involved in organising/running these events, even going to the lengths of publishing their balance sheets for transparency, the difference being they don't insist on anglers being an organisation member to be eligible to fish these matches.