Angling Times Supercup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Just picked up my Angling Times this morning and noticed they'd announced the venues for the Northern, Midland and Southern semi-finals of this competition.

Hmmmm - Baden Hall Fisheries, wheres that I thought.............

Started reading the article and its in Staffordshire [:0][:0]

I may be wrong but I don't regard Staffs as being in the north!

This is supposed to be a competition for teams of CLUB anglers (ie not sponsored 'superstars') and putting the semi-final a 300+ mile round-trip away means the whole team is facing a bill of 60-70 each just to fish the match.(Overnight accomodation, meals, petrol etc)

It also means that it'll be practically impossible for whoever qualifies to practise (again due to the expense).

Last year the Northern semi-final was at Border Fisheries (still a bloody long way away), we were lucky enough to qualify for it and finished 8th out of 20+ teams, that wasn't a bad result considering four of our team saw the venue for the first time on the morning of the match.

My point is though, there are dozens of commercial fisheries in what I would call the 'North', why couldn't one of these been used?
Woodlands at Thirsk has eight match lakes, Hayfield at Doncaster has three, even Hallcroft at Retford is within a days drive.

Angling Times is charging 25/team this year to fish this competiton, thats an income of 10,000+ - us 'ordinary' anglers seem to be getting precious little back.[:(!]

(By the way - what's Baden Hall like - is it any good[:p])

Tight Lines

Simon

mike s

I agree 100%.
Do the organisers even OWN a map that covers the area north of Manchester.
As for cost, I reckon our visit to Hallcroft for the semis 2 years ago cost each team member between 150 & 200!
IMO these "southern" venues make it unlikely for any of us up here to do well for inability to practice[:(]

"Wot, no Fish!"

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have to say that there seems to be some spectacular c**k ups with the draws this year.
Our Kent based club have drawn against 2 North London clubs,while i know of at least one North London club that is having to travel to Sussex for their 1st round match.
From a personal point of view with just 2 qualifing rounds, a semi & a final i'd like to see the competition start around March with a Final around September.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

splodger

I agree,
Fishing a qualifier in early february is not my idea of fun.
We have been drawn in a three-way match and it could be a real farce.
What if the venue is iced up? do we get another crack at it or are we out for breaking the rules by going beyond the deadline.
Starting in March or April would have been better for all concerned.
As far as the competition being for club anglers only, well i know of at least two teams last year who had sponsored anglers fishing for them.
SPLODGER

Trevski

quote:
Started reading the article and its in Staffordshire

I may be wrong but I don't regard Staffs as being in the north!

This is supposed to be a competition for teams of CLUB anglers (ie not sponsored 'superstars') and putting the semi-final a 300+ mile round-trip away means the whole team is facing a bill of 60-70 each just to fish the match.(Overnight accomodation, meals, petrol etc)

It also means that it'll be practically impossible for whoever qualifies to practise (again due to the expense).

Last year the Northern semi-final was at Border Fisheries (still a bloody long way away), we were lucky enough to qualify for it and finished 8th out of 20+ teams, that wasn't a bad result considering four of our team saw the venue for the first time on the morning of the match.

Thats crazy!

Staffordshire is in the Midlands not the north, sheesh.
They quite obviously don't own a map! lol.

As for "Border Fisheries", its called that for a reason you know....

...Because its on the Cheshire/Staffordshire border! lol!

What a bunch of Jokers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/img]

TINY

Tiny
Hello Simon,I dont have anything to say about when you are fishing Baden Hall.I can however tell you about the fishing there.(I only live down the road).I fish there quite a lot and if you are on the main pool,it holds a good head of carp upto 20lb,and a boat load of good Bream and Roach.In this type of weather it will be hard anywhere but all the pegs are pretty even.(In warmer weather its unreal)

Simon R

Site Supporter
We're fishing our first round match this Sunday on a tiny little pond in County Durham.

We were supposed to be having a practice session up there last Sunday, but the ice was four inches thick, even my 5lb ice-breaker wouldn't go through it.[:(!]

So we'll just have to see how it goes at the weekend, the captain of the home team has told me there's no secret methods so hopefully he's telling the truth.

Simon

timmy

simon r, which pond in county durham were u supposed to be fishing?

t jones

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Simon

He's probably right, there are no secret methods, because all of his team members will know them [:D][:D]

AlanP

Simon R

Site Supporter
Well the fishing was poor (23 gudgeon for 4oz) but 'mighty' Stokesley AC steamrollered the opposition and marched into the next round of the competiton.

Just seeing how many cliches I could get into one sentence [:D][:D]

Actually it was very tight, 3 sections each with 10 minutes left until one of our lads snared a 5lb+ carp to win his section and make the final score Stokesley AC 10points, Schmitz Cargobull 7points (one of their anglers DNW)

I think we'll probably get Washington & Harraton AC in the next round (rumour has it they beat Langley Park) and since we beat both their A and B teams last season they'll be looking for revenge.

I hope we get the home draw - their home water is the tidal River Wear and last time I fished there we were using little bits of ragworm on size 12 hooks, fishing for flatties.

Tight Lines

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.