Angling Mistakes

squimp

Site Supporter
Back in the days when I made my own carp/tench bait, I made some boilies and unwittingly put a bit too much shrimp meal in the mix.

Went fishing in the dark, catapulted out a few free offerings and when it got light they were all still on the surface ! A supply of pop ups for life !

These days I run a fishery - so I see angling mistakes all the time. I offer to help people and when they take things on board and start catching its great. But there is no helping some people……

CarpCatcher86

I think a lot of mistakes were amplified during lockdown. Made by people who usually don't leave the house let alone going fishing.
My idea being that it would be a better idea to try and rectify mistakes, usually made by the misguided youth of today, if nothing more than to teach them something but also to make sure the fish aren't harmed.
I was lucky enough to be taught a few things in my youth by dad and a few uncles, only the basics mind you. But I must say I have taught myself and learned a lot more myself since then. Something which todays youth aren't capable of me thinks.

Mountain_picnic_blues

The Darling of Wapping Wharf Launderette
Site Supporter
I fish at my local commercial, I'm not even close to knowing what I'm doing but I have fair idea 😂... Usually it's the rockets that have a float on that you could tie boats on they have about 6" between that and the hook and chuck basketball sized lumps of feed at the float.... Don't think I've ever seen them catch, then out comes the spliff and then they moan to their mates that "this place is rubbish, c'mon we'll get a bottle of wine"... They eff off and leave me in peace.

No advice offered as it won't be listened to

CarpCatcher86

I fish at my local commercial, I'm not even close to knowing what I'm doing but I have fair idea 😂... Usually it's the rockets that have a float on that you could tie boats on they have about 6" between that and the hook and chuck basketball sized lumps of feed at the float.... Don't think I've ever seen them catch, then out comes the spliff and then they moan to their mates that "this place is rubbish, c'mon we'll get a bottle of wine"... They eff off and leave me in peace.

No advice offered as it won't be listened to
A bottle of wine?
Must be upper class scroats round your way.:ROFLMAO:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think winding against the clutch is one of the most common I see, and then wonder why they get mad line twist.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
If they ask me for advice I'll give it freely. (I'm no expert mind.) But until then I keep schtum.

That was the philosophy of one of the folks I learned from, and it seems pretty sound.
I am at Blyton, I met 2 lads who had never fished the place before and on ponds A/ B were after carp. I told them of the tactics I use on the lake and I was pleased that they managed to catch a few after our chat. Turns out they were a great couple of lads and I enjoyed their company and banter.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
It’s difficult to offer advice, some people know they aren’t doing it right but don’t want to change, are happy with what they catch and still enjoy themselves. I’m always willing to help if people ask.

I saw a guy on our club pond last week, good tackle, seemed to handle the pole well but I thought he was fishing paste as some of the body of the float plus bristle was showing, he was fishing pellets on the bottom, didn’t feel it was right to say anything.
The other one is anglers who try and feed large quantities by hand (even in winter) and spray over a huge area.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I once had a bloke ask how I was fishing, I had had some decent carp whilst he blanked.
Showed him set up including pva sticks.
Next time I saw him fishing he said he had bought some pva but was struggling as it would not melt.
I took a look at it - Fox Armamesh! 🤣

TimR

A good mate, but very inexperienced angler; fishing primary for crucians was fishing (what I considered) far too heavy using really crude tackle with the float stuck out like a lighthouse.
In theory he was doing just about everything wrong .. His tactics would not have been much out of place on bridlington pier...
He proceeded (despite my recommendations) to empty the (none too easy) lake on several occasions whilst several very successful and experienced anglers were struggling with this supposedly delicately feeding species!
I'm still somewhat confused as to how this could happen and the only conclusion I could come up with was that the stiff/thick hooklength somehow contributed to the crucians being unable to eject the hookbait.
My attitude now is that there aren't any elementary mistakes only successful and unsuccessful experiments.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
The biggest mistake I made as a returning angler was when spooling my first reel.

1st attempt - I didn’t apply enough tension to the line. I realised my mistake straight away and it ended up in the bin.

2nd attempt - I didn’t put enough line on the reel. Realised after my first outing that it was too low.

3rd attempt - When attaching more line to the spool, I topped the line up to the lip of the spool rather than just below the clip. My line would spring off of the spool and cause all sorts of tangles.

Robwooly

Made a mistake the other year of wearing a Drennan Cup winner hat down the Severn, I'm pretty sure this was why the BAA work party decided to stop for a hard earned break and sit behind my swim watching, trouble was I was fishing like a wally, it was at the end of a long weekend and I was winding down in a spot that offered a place to sit rather than bites, I couldn't have fished worse, but enjoyed the chat and banter.

My avatar pic shows me getting out of knee deep mud on a tidal estuary, another type of mistake that could have cost me far more than the one boot and the humbling limp back to the car in wet socks.

I suppose the moral of the story is if you make a mistake and you're ready to go again enjoy it, the fish will be there next time and you'll be wiser, but you'll always have plenty more to learn (y)

Deejay8

Site Supporter
On my first trip out, I didn't understand how to use the bail arm and spent half an hour thrashing the water just off the rod tip, before stomping off home in frustration. Other anglers just ignored me or laughed. Luckily when I got home, my Mum knew how a reel worked and showed me how to cast.
Two days later I went back to the same lake. I was able to cast out ok, but missing all of the bites. I was fishing with my rod up in the air and the line wasn't tight enough to the float. A guy was walking around the lake, casting into different spots,and then moving on. He was watching me, and when he got opposite me, he shouted over, that I needed to have my rod lower,and to wait until he had made his way around to me.
Five minutes later he arrived in my swim and showed me exactly how to cast, hold the rod,sink the line and strike. He also had noticed that I wasn't feeding the swim, and told me that I needed to attract fish by loosefeeding. It worked. Two minutes later I caught a small roach.
The angler explained he was a carp angler, and he was stalking carp off the surface. I got to know him quite well over that season and the next. I was very grateful for his help. I didn't get the chance to catch another fish that evening, because the sky suddenly got very dark and rumbles of thunder signalled a coming thunderstorm. We both hastily packed up and I walked home feeling very happy to have caught my first fish. And all thanks to being given a bit of advice.

Mothy1965

Site Supporter
All of the mistakes I see on the bank are mine, and mine alone! I fished as a teenager on the Trent on the Derby Railway book, but no-one taught me the subtle nuances of stick float fishing, so it was very trial and error and my results reflected that. Now, after 30 years off, I'm back on the bank and fishing has changed sooo much. Now I've had to learn how to fish a feeder tight to the opposite bank on a commercial, lost a lot of feeders before I thought about using that clip thing on the reel :ROFLMAO:. I'm lucky this time round though, as a couple of regulars at the commy I fish have taken me under their wings and really helped me to improve my casting technique (who knew that was a thing?), learn to fish a pole (still clumsy) and generally get by. I've asked loads of questions of them and on here too and always been inundated with sound advice given very generously. I've noticed that no one has offered advice before I've asked for it though (probably 'cos I look a grumpy bugger). I guess if folks are happy to learn they'll take advice if it's offered, but some folks are just not interested in reaping the benefit of anyone else's experience, personally I wouldn't have managed without it.