Angling Mistakes

CarpCatcher86

You guys must have come across a few corkers in your time, I know I have.
I'm curious to know, how did you respond to any mistake you have witnessed? Did you offer advice in an attempt to correct the mistake in question, or did you sit back and say nothing? How was your advice received, with thanks, gratitude, embarrassement, anger?
I only ask as a chance encounter with an old friend ended with me returning to one of my old local waters today. Old local water meaning it was before I moved.
During the session I came across an old guy who I used to see on one particular water on a regular basis. Watching him was fascinating. He always fished with a waggler on rod and line, nothing unusual about that, but what was unusual was what he did after casting. As his waggler hit the water, instead of closing the bail arm and lowering the rod tip under the water in order to sink the line and tighten up to the float, he would keep the bail arm open, lower and then sharply raise the tip of the rod, as if he was striking at a bite.
The result as you can probably guess was a lot of slack line between rod tip and float tip. I watched him strike at and miss almost every bite, apart from the odd time he got lucky with a fish that quickly swam away, taking up the slack and hooking it's self. I did suggest that it's a good idea to keep a tight line between float and rod tip, which would result in him hitting a lot more bites and catching a lot more fish. With the way he was fishing, a fish would be hitting it's head on the far bank before he managed to take up all the slack line and set the hook. His responce was part laugh part grunt followed by the line, I've always done it that way.

Other mistakes include underfilled spools which is very common, as is people trying to float fish with line that is far too thick/strong or old line that is worn out and snaps every time you try to tighten a knot. Incorrect shotting patterns when waggler fishing is another I see a lot, as is fishing way over or under depth.
I saw a lad on a canal a few years ago fishing with a 5m whip with a 6ft ish pole rig on the end. Another lad I saw a few years back had three bite alarms on a pod the wrong way round. I have even seen two people fishing with rods the wrong way round, as in eyes up like you would see with a bait caster or boat rod.
Another mistake which I think I read about on this forum described a young lad fishing with lures, but not in the conventional way. Instead of casting and retrieving as normal, he simply cast the lure out and left it sat on the bottom of the lake with the rod on a rest.
As I said at the start, you guys must have heard/seen some real corkers in your time. So lets hear them :D

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
My own fishing is far from perfect so I don’t generally criticise the way others fish. The only time I get involved is to donate something I think will help someone who is under equipped and struggling, like a disgorger or a few maggots.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
". I have even seen two people fishing with rods the wrong way round, as in eyes up like you would see with a bait caster or boat rod."

Nothing wrong with that if the rods are on the floor and the handle is holding the reel vertically - it helps keep the spool clear.
Fished this way many times when stalking

Fishing under depth is off the bottom and over is laying on so how are they wrong?

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Not enough line on spool cannot be rectified, so I say nothing. In fact I say nothing to most. If the angler looks content I leave them to it. I will help juniors or those that ask though. Fishing is a strange sport in which we all think we are experts. I learnt my lesson being beaten off the next peg by somebody doing it 'wrong' years ago. He sat on a plastic tool box, thick line snaked across the surface with a quill float laying flat. He had some clonking roach whilst I did it right and caught micro specimens.

Shadrack

I think the silliest thing I’ve seen was done by me. I am self taught, dad never fished and my grandad who did fish was in poor health by the time I showed an interest and passed away before I went for the first time.

So off I went down to the tackle shop, got given a feeder rod and various bits and pieces by a nice old bloke, and that afternoon I went fishing for the first time. Arrived at the lake and everyone else was pole fishing. I had no idea what I was doing and figured it was best to just imitate others as best as I could, so I spent the next few hours shipping my rod back like a pole every time I wanted to bait up. Either everyone else was too busy fishing to notice, or having a right old giggle. Nobody came to correct me and it wasn’t until I watched a video later that I realised there was a much easier way.

I’ve never seen anyone else make the same mistake.

Whisker

Proud Maggotdrowner
Site Supporter
I’ve fished in a few downpours, fished a few ice covered venues and I’ve fished in a few blizzards. On those kind of days, I sat and thought my biggest mistake was getting out of bed.

MarkW

I can remember coming across more than one angler that has wound line onto a fixed-spool reel backwards. On one of those occasions I took the rod, hooked the hook into a fencepost and walked back across the field running off the line until all the line was out then walked back rewinding the line the correct way. The angler appreciated what I'd done.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Most common is to have two inches of waggler showing.

Others, casting around the swim at random, feeding every 30 minutes, feeding corn by the handful and fishing half depth, fishing the pellet waggler without feeding, carpeting a swim with feed over quite a few square yards, winding down on a fish so it is three foot from the rod tip then struggling to net it, moving swims (believe me there are fish in front of you, you just need to work out how to catch them), setting up an alarm on a one rod snake lake because you are fishing for carp (average size 4lb).

No, I am not about to offer unasked for advice. "Two lovely black eyes" comes to mind. ( Music Hall era song)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I can remember coming across more than one angler that has wound line onto a fixed-spool reel backwards. On one of those occasions I took the rod, hooked the hook into a fencepost and walked back across the field running off the line until all the line was out then walked back rewinding the line the correct way. The angler appreciated what I'd done.
I thought you agreed not to tell anyone about that!

Seriously, how did they get the line on the spool backwards?

MarkW

I thought you agreed not to tell anyone about that!

Seriously, how did they get the line on the spool backwards?
Tied the line to the spool then wound the handle the wrong way (anti-reverse off) so the line was spooled by the 'wrong' end of the bale arm, i.e. not on the roller.

My biggest novice error was buying RHW fixed spool reels (two of them in succession) when I started fishing as I thought that a right-handed angler wound in with his right hand, holding the rod left-handed. after two years I twigged and my third reel was LHW. It took all of about an hour to get used to winding LHW.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I see a fair bit of weird stuff on the water nearest me but these days I tend to keep my head down rather than offer advice as many of those having said bloopers are normally mob handed and beered up and I just don’t need the grief or attention.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I went with a mate and I noticed he was fishing a big balsa float with 2 swan shot about an inch from his hook, this was in a small pond with about 4ft depth. I offered to set him up……”eff off” was the reply “I’m not trying to catch fish, I’m enjoying the peace and quiet”

Leejbaker

Mine was as others have said my own error. I used to do a lot of fly fishing and a mate invited me sea fishing, he set it all up for me and I cast and threw it all into the water! Luckily I was on the beach not a pier or boat! A rather fast lesson on holding on tight was learnt 😂🤣😂

bluemack

Site Supporter
Nobody taught me how to fish,completely self taught,so I have the view"let em get on with it and learn the hard way",I have tried to help people in the past but got abuse as often as a thanks.Not worth it.😐

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
I was fishing a slow flowing river with a light bomb rod, and was loose feeding pellets. Until I discovered they were floating pellets, and just floating along down the the river. It really made me feel smart . . .

Griffo

Site Supporter
Not worth it, offered to help three youths last week who clearly had no Idea, as good kids have been taught, don’t talk to strangers and the response was F off pervert!! Not a reaction I had considered!

As for old Dicky the 82 year old father in law that’s fished all is life, yet catches nothing whenever I take him, advice is a waste of time, can’t even get him to understand if using a method feeder stick the hook bate in with it, still sets it up like a traditional feeder with up to 12” tail. You just got to let folks do their own thing!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I was completely self taught and made loads of stupid mistakes. Can’t count the number of times I’ve cast with the bale arm closed. You feel a right Richard Head when you do that. My other favourite was to reel in too far and snap the rod tip with the feeder or waggler.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Not worth it, offered to help three youths last week who clearly had no Idea, as good kids have been taught, don’t talk to strangers and the response was F off pervert!! Not a reaction I had considered!

As for old Dicky the 82 year old father in law that’s fished all is life, yet catches nothing whenever I take him, advice is a waste of time, can’t even get him to understand if using a method feeder stick the hook bate in with it, still sets it up like a traditional feeder with up to 12” tail. You just got to let folks do their own thing!
I leave the hookbait out of the method feeder sometimes. I often fish with maggots on the method which you don’t see the ”experts” do. I don’t care as long as I’m catching fish.