Angling feats

Sportsman

Just musing
Have you any stories of of angling feats that you feel particularly proud of or satisfied with? Things that stand out in your mind.
I have a couple:
A few years ago I was fishing an overnighter with a friend on a gravel pit south of Le Mans. Hadn't had a beep all night and at around 09.00 I had a single beep on my right hand rod. When I looked I could see the line moving where it entered the water,so lifted into it. All hell broke loose for the next 50 minutes, until, with the help of my mate I managed to land a 45kg (100lb) wels catfish. My biggest freshwater fish to date.
Rod was 13' 3lbTC that I had built on a Harrison blank, Okuma reel loaded with 14lb Sakuma sea fishing line, 12lb amnesia hooklink and a size 6 with a 15mm homemade sardine and garlic boilie.

A few weeks ago I was pole fishing a local lake for roach and skimmers o.16 rig line, 0.14 hooklenth and two maggots on a size 16 Kaizen.
Looked away for a moment and when I looked back my 12 elastic was streaming out across the lake.
Played the carp for the best part of an hour, but then it became obvious that it wasn't going to go into my small match net. Normally I wouldn't have worried too much about not landing it, but after this length of time it was a bit of an issue.
I knew that I had a full size carp net in my car a few yards away, but too far to reach, so I wedged the top kit in a bush, ran back to my car, got the net and landed the fish. I felt like I had earned this one. The fish I estimated as a low 20 common. I have caught many fish around this weight and it was a reasonable estimate.

smiffy

Site Supporter
My fishing life has been pretty dull compared to many. A few Carp landed on light gear in the distant past and a few Tench on very light gear in matches.
Once hooked a very large Catfish at Chigboro, which I believe you know, but the inevitable happened after a half hour or so of being attached 😂. It’s the only fish I’ve ever hooked in my life that I could do literally nothing with.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
41lb conger eel, first ever time wreck fishing - 1st put in.
100ft of water of requiring 1lb of lead to get down there.
By the end of the day my arms were an inch longer🤣

davylad

Site Supporter
I'd never had a 2lb roach in years of fishing, then I got one that went dead on 3lb on a set of scales. I never had a camera with me in those days, and although we checked the scales, I told the lads who witnessed it, to call it 2lb- 15oz as probably no one would believe me. Mind you it was caught from a local venue where big roach to 3 1/2 lb or so were caught regularly in the 50's / 60's. Oh aye, it was one of those special days, when we were catching lots of big roach around 1 1/2 lb.

Browner

Site Supporter
Being asked to fish the “Delta Group” annual comp at the last minute as a man dropped out. A complete ringer as I didn’t work for the group but a mate that did was desperate for a full team. Got my bait and pools paid for me along with the cost of the mini bus to the venue.
Ended up winning it, taking home a big trophy and a pocket of cash and it don’t cost me a penny. Must of been in the mid 90’s. Gave up match fishing not long after and never fished one since.

JohnL

Site Supporter
My best fishing feet

1656702685720.jpeg

Griffo

Site Supporter
A 3Ib 12oz Grayling from the Welsh Dee, chest deep, freezing morning using a weighted nymph called a rat. Not the biggest of fish but the prettiest by a long way. Wadding along a big beautiful river catching fish will always be the highlight of my fishing adventures.