ANGLING DIRECT

DAF 3600

Purchased 2 Preston Magnitudes 15th July, clutch gone on one, rung Angling Direct for replacement (now stop laughing) to be told it has to go back to preston's for them to look at and they decide whether to issue a credit note for a new reel or not. I did not buy the reel from Preston's so by law i think Angling Direct have to replace the reel or money back, right or wrong before i contact trading standards.

chris1967

Site Supporter
its not angling directs fault to be fair ,this is what preston insist on

DAF 3600

Then why doesn't the shop tell you at point of sale that if the product develops a fault it has to go back to the manufacturer and the usual terms of a warranty do not apply.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It's up to Angling Direct to sort out the problem. Preston may insist on looking at it, under the terms and conditions of the warranty, to check it's a failure due to manufacturer defect, and not abuse or operator error, but that should be arranged by Angling Direct. Always keep the selling shop in the loop and deal through them rather than direct with the manufacturer, because it's the shop who you have the proof of purchase and statutory rights with.

davej1981

Quite often on retail if a product goes faulty it will get sent back to manufacturer to investigate before a refund is issued. However the retailer should be responsible for arranging the return of the product. In fact in most cases the manufacturer wont deal with a customer on warrenty claims within the 1st 12 months

carphauler

Roachhauler
Because of the time frame I would assume that's normal practice with most shops, if it was within 30 days then it would be refund or replace but it's obviously longer than that.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 changed the right to reject something faulty, and be entitled to a full refund in most cases, from a reasonable time to a fixed period (in most cases) of 30 days. After 30 days, you lose the short-term right to reject the goods and you'll have fewer rights, such as only being able to ask for a repair or replacement, or a full or partial refund if this doesn't work.

Under the act it is solely the retailers responsibility to return faulty products to a manufacture, they cannot duck out of this, because Preston say so, it's the law.

Go stick it to them, they know full well what is required by law and if they don't they should do. Have a look at this it may help.

Good luck.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Some firms allow the retailer to inspect and repair or replace as necessary at their discretion others such as Drennan and Preston for two have an established warranty procedure were the item is returned to the shop who inform the company who arrange collection and return with a new or repaired product but mostly it tends to be a new replacement unless its something simple like a washer being misplaced when changing spools for example.
Its a simple enough system and works well, if you took the reel in to the shop they phone Prestons who arrange pick up next day inspect then return usually in a couple of days.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It's up to Angling Direct to sort out the problem. Preston may insist on looking at it, under the terms and conditions of the warranty, to check it's a failure due to manufacturer defect, and not abuse or operator error, but that should be arranged by Angling Direct. Always keep the selling shop in the loop and deal through them rather than direct with the manufacturer, because it's the shop who you have the proof of purchase and statutory rights with.
I think it boils down the the question "Who is the supplier?" In my view it ain't Preston's. AD passing the buck doesn't work. It's possible that AD could be trying to play both ends against the middle. We do not know what the commercial agreement is between AD and the manufacturer, and, in my view, we have no need to as this doesn't need to get that complicated. As far as I know AD do not have an agency agreement in place with Prestons or any other manufacturer

Monkey 1960

Site Supporter
Purchased 2 Preston Magnitudes 15th July, clutch gone on one, rung Angling Direct for replacement (now stop laughing) to be told it has to go back to preston's for them to look at and they decide whether to issue a credit note for a new reel or not. I did not buy the reel from Preston's so by law i think Angling Direct have to replace the reel or money back, right or wrong before i contact trading standards.
Had the same problem with AD when a brand new Preston carbon landing net handle broke while lifting a small carp told it had to go back to Preston for investigation waited 3 weeks for a replacement it’s utter bull@#@@ m8

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Most Motor Factors work the same way - if you have to return a part as faulty they have to return it to the manufacturer for assessment before exchanging or refunding it otherwise they (the retailer) will not get their account credited for the cost of the replacement or refund.

I suppose if anything it takes the decision making out of the hands of the retailer and puts it with the manufacturer so mistakes cannot be made.

ben carvosso

Prob quicker dealing with preston themselves.
If I had any problems with korum stuff they have been amazing to deal with and gone above and beyond to help...

grey

Site Supporter
By law, it's the shop's problem.

The fact Angling Direct are refusing to demonstrate the good faith we expect as a customer is concerning - if they're willing to do it to Daf, they'll be prepared to treat the rest of us the same way - is there anything we can do collectively?

I'm certainly not using Angling Direct until I know I can trust their commitment to customer service - might as well buy cheaper from some spiv on eBay!

Rick123

Site Supporter
I too had this problem with a pole, 4th section split. I'd had the pole 8 weeks, but they (Angling Direct) insisted it was out of the 30 days by law warranty. It would have to go back to the manufactures to check for a fault.I would be without a pole all that time?? I brought the section for £30 and repaired the other. I wrote to them saying I had been a customer since they first started with just 3 shops, and would never spend another penny with them again. No reply at all. Too big to care about their customers. But it is the LAW they are right not me, but and its big but I don't think that would happen with Match-man supplies a small shop that still has customer service. NOTE they are right about the 30 days, after that they have the right to return the item for inspection.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Most Motor Factors work the same way - if you have to return a part as faulty they have to return it to the manufacturer for assessment before exchanging or refunding it otherwise they (the retailer) will not get their account credited for the cost of the replacement or refund.

I suppose if anything it takes the decision making out of the hands of the retailer and puts it with the manufacturer so mistakes cannot be made.
Thanks for offering that mitigation which could explain a lot, but I don't see how the customer benefits from such delays. After all it is he or she that has been the most put out. What happens to quality control at the retailers end? Aren't sellers like AD obliged to have a process whereby goods they buy for resale are subject to their own checks before payment for supplies is made? Assuming that some sort of quality check is in place, then the customer is suffering from a failure at 2 levels with the manufacturer, for his own convenience using AD (in this case) as a buffer zone!