Angling Club Finances

bagpuss

Site Supporter
Most clubs will produce records of their accounts at their AGM this may not be as detailed as some would like but its usually done as to protect the club eg they will only show the overall expenditure for rent on waters but not for individual ones to stop people passing on the information and other clubs out bidding them

JayD

Site Supporter
It depends on what you class as a 'club'. I've been a member of several 'clubs' over the years, some had 1000s of members, and their own waters, some had 40/50 members and were affiliated to bigger associations, and some were a half dozen blokes who chipped in to lease a small water. All but the smallest had committees voted on by the membership, and these consisted of Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, and a couple of general committee members at least. The 'Treasurer' handled all the finances, and produced yearly accounts that had to be scrutinised, and passed by the rest of the committee before being presented to the membership at the AGM, for them to check and pass. If everything is properly handled, and there in black and white for all to see, it prevents any accusations of misdealing, and should ensure that subs etc are used to best benefit the club as a whole.
Sadly as Dave said, there are always those selfish members who don't want to know about anything other than just going fishing. They will moan about anything to do with the organisation of a club, but aren't willing to give up any of their own time actually contribute.

John

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Of course any organisation taking money from the public or members needs to have full disclosure as regards accounts.

As a Wellingborough committee member I am all too aware of the amount of money that passes through the club's accounts. It would be impractical to account to the membership for every last penny but in broad terms the accounts should be available for inspection by any member. This will normally be at the AGM. Dual signature/authorisation should be the norm on the bank account. And for larger clubs accounts should be audited by someone holding a relevent qualification.

I would be highly suspicious of any club that kept its accounts secret.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Some clubs dont want people knowing what they are paying in rents for waters and others dont want to disclose how much of a subsidy they receive towards the running of the club from outside sponsors but normally the balance sheet in broad terms of income and expenditure would be available at the AGM.
It would depend on the constitution of the club when it was founded including later amendments as to what form the accounts would be available in and when.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
A few years back (maybe longer) the club I was on the committee of found a book about angling and the law. The club was a large scale affair with it's own venue containing multiple waters as well as some that were rented - I would estimate the club assets to be in excess of ÂŁ100,000.

The book may be this one:
Amazon product
but it may be another. The book explained the rules of being a society and some of the items you must have in your constitution etc. Including one to prevent carpet bagging (members can join a club, vote for it to be disbanded and therefore claim a share of the assets).

Anyhow, the club (like many others) went through the book and implemented most of the recommendations to protect itself and ensure any committee/trustees were protected etc. Having published and audited accounts was all part of the process (the club already had this in place) and I would expect and reasonably sized society to do the same. I wouldn't be concerned if it was an 'informal club', but as soon as there are assets involved then you need a degree of control to protect everyone.

On an aside, something that arose from the book was the issue of liability - ask yourself what would happen if, say, a dog walker was killed by a falling tree on one of your venues and it was deemed that the club's fault. There is a chance they could come after the committee and their assets. At this point I extricated myself from the committee.

(NB link not displaying correct on my pc - search from 'Angling and the Law'

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Of course any organisation taking money from the public or members needs to have full disclosure as regards accounts.

As a Wellingborough committee member I am all too aware of the amount of money that passes through the club's accounts. It would be impractical to account to the membership for every last penny but in broad terms the accounts should be available for inspection by any member. This will normally be at the AGM. Dual signature/authorisation should be the norm on the bank account. And for larger clubs accounts should be audited by someone holding a relevent qualification.
I agree. It is certainly in the interests of clubs with a fairly substantial membership/turnover, that a person with some level of expertise in Accounting be responsible for maintaining their financial records on a historic cost basis. Mention has been made by @Ken the Pacman of the need for confidentiality in respect of certain financial information. This is generally accepted as the norm and in my experience it is uncommon for such detailed information to be made generally available in any printed form and circulated amongst all members for review.

Many large clubs and friendly societies are required by law to have their books of account audited by a member of an appropriate professional body of which there are, I believe, still only two in the UK