Angling Ban on Grafham Water

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As Keith Arthur posted on FB...

" It’s akin to being banned from fishing canal and river towpaths because someone might walk or (occasionally illegally) ride a bike past you. Madness."

Where does it stop?
Does C&RT ban cyclists because one rode through an angler's pole, or does angling get banned?

Our local park lake which was once a prolific fishing venue, holding many large national and some international matches, was remodelled by the local council to make it easier for walkers to walk around the lake. The end result was it was no longer possible to fish from most of the bank as it meant fishing from the footpaths where the walkers walked.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
He does raise a good point but it will always come down to the safety of the majority over the minority.
And like it or not due to the sharing of environmental space we are year on year becoming more so a minority.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
...but if the 'minority' doesn't protest and make their feelings known they soon become oppressed and have no say in matters of relevance.

Total

Site Supporter
........The good news for the anglers is that they can still fish the natural shore (most of it) or go out in a boat (at a cost).
And walkers and cyclists use the 'natural shore?'......It's the thin end of the wedge....

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Absolutely Dave , but the minority need to know what they are truly protesting for and not just a headline grabber.

Let's say a bird watcher reads a thread saying an angling water bailiff killed an otter.
Easy to start a petition banning all anglers as an otter was killed.
The many signing won't be interested to find out for themselves that the otter ate all the fish stock,killed protected bird species and were now spreading to other environments.

All they see and if its their want is "angler killed an otter"

Get enough support and it can soon be - angling banned on water *

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
But that's the way of the world these days, the same as people asking for votes for 'Best...... ' because it's something relevant to them and many people who have no interest in it will still vote, the same with your example.

If everyone was to consider first and foremost if it affected them directly before casting a vote, or protest, then we might as well roll over, pack our tackle away, and take up knitting or some other hobby.
United we stand, divided we fall, has never been truer

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You have started an interesting thread here and I guess more so as most anglers really aren't interested in what they see as a fly fishing problem (even though its not)
As far as GW is concerned they seem to have reached a compromise, but would another have to be reached if angling participation and the income it generated was replaced by something more profitable or just not worth it.
Just my opinion but anglings lack of unity will eventually be its undoing

squimp

Site Supporter
And walkers and cyclists use the 'natural shore?'......It's the thin end of the wedge....
The issue is that you stand above the water on the dam - so that your back cast can clear the wall behind you. So it impinges on the public path.

on the natural bank most anglers wade out as far as they can (big mistake at Grafham!) so their backcasts don’t extend far onto ‘land’. And the public path doesn’t exactly follow the natural perimeter anyway…..

I take the point about anglers not standing up for themselves - but there is a ‘Graham fly fishers association’ or some such. As an ex- angling representative “‘‘twas ever thus”.

Total

Site Supporter
The issue is that you stand above the water on the dam - so that your back cast can clear the wall behind you. So it impinges on the public path.

on the natural bank most anglers wade out as far as they can (big mistake at Grafham!) so their backcasts don’t extend far onto ‘land’. And the public path doesn’t exactly follow the natural perimeter anyway…..

I take the point about anglers not standing up for themselves - but there is a ‘Graham fly fishers association’ or some such. As an ex- angling representative “‘‘twas ever thus”.
It's not what I asked you. but thanks for the fly fishing and geography lesson...:rolleyes:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
They have signs round Trimpley Reservoir saying 'beware of backcasting'. Not many walkers round there though.

squimp

Site Supporter
RitIt's not what I asked you. but thanks for the fly fishing and geography lesson...:rolleyes:
I wrote “the pubic path doesn’t exactly follow the natural perimeter”. That answers your question.

Maybe you have never been to Grafham ? If you look on the Anglian Water Website no doubt there will be a map showing the circular path/cycle way.

To call a spade a spade; when are the majority of anglers going to wise up to the the fact that we are disorganised, can’t stand up for ourselves and are under threat on every water that we dont actually own ourselves ?

John Step

Site Supporter
Anglers pay for day tickets. Walkers and cyclists dont.
It would be easy for Anglian water to divert the path to below the dam . In fact I seem to recall this was done some years ago when work was being done to the dam. Its not a huge amount of diversion.

Tenacious Sloth

Anglers pay for day tickets. Walkers and cyclists dont.
It would be easy for Anglian water to divert the path to below the dam . In fact I seem to recall this was done some years ago when work was being done to the dam. Its not a huge amount of diversion.
Anglian Water have to put a lot of effort into making any money from fly fishing by the time you take into account the costs of stocking, boat maintenance, fishery staff etc.

They make a huge amount of money from car parking from walkers and cyclists.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
As pointed out earlier in the thread, its a sign of the times and the need for co-existence between anglers and walkers/cyclists/joggers is now very real on many a venue.

Looking at this from a safety perspective and treating the activity (in this case fishing) and ultimately the hook as the hazard it looks as if the best control measure (best in the hierarchy of control measures) has been applied-take the hazard away= zero risk.

Alternative options could have been to isolate the hazard, by allowing fishing and equally other pursuits to be permitted at alternating times in that area during the season, i can see why this option wasn't explored as it relies on people doing either activity, observing the set times on rules. Looking at that fairly, extending it to season wise rather time wise and considering that the game season isn't year round, i wonder if this control measure could have been applied-dam wall shut for everything other than fishing during the game season perhaps?

Their decision would appear to have been their decision however and i can to a point see why they have opted for the absolute one in this instance, whilst also appreciating it isn't one supporting a co-existence.

That said however and given the obligation they have to paying members, the guests they bring and the anglers it seems that benefit from the better access, i do think that yes whilst they have a duty of care to everyone using the area, they do have the obligation to their anglers.

So personally, whilst i haven't signed this one, i would support a call for some suitable access arranged fishing platforms/areas constructed at suitable points around the venue, in recognition of the people who pay to pursue their hobby on the site and in acknowledgement of any access requirements they may have. Otherwise GW could see those paying customers go elsewhere and also some of those not reliant on the dam wall, but equally supportive of their fellow members. I admire MDers for being part of that fraternity, but you would hope in the first instance, there is unity among the immediate paying customers of the club in the first instance.

Last edited:

Flathead

Site Supporter
The Game season on Grafham is 11 months long…..from beginning of March to end of January