Angling Ban on Grafham Water

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Anglian water have closed the dam at Grafham Water for fishing between 9 am and dusk every day except on weekends, school & public holidays when it will be closed completely.

Grafham dam has been accessible to flyfishing for over 25 years and in that time has been used by disabled and able anglers alike , it’s been a place where people have been taught how to fly fish and many people have fished the dam for years. Many of the anglers that fish the dam are unable to fish anywhere else due to their mobility and something must be done to reverse this decision which has been taken without any consultation from the fly fishing community. The decision has been taken with only the walkers, joggers and cyclists in mind.

Please sign this petition and show Anglian Water how much we care about our fishing on the Dam at Grafham and what a devastating impact this disgraceful decision will have on the fishing community

tincatim

Site Supporter
Signed, I’m none the wiser as to why they’ve banned fishing?

Flathead

Site Supporter
Signed, I’m none the wiser as to why they’ve banned fishing?
There are worries about cyclists and walkers being hit by flies on the back cast.

I have fished the dam many times and it can be dangerous at times of high water….but very rare to see an incident.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Good to see things constantly brought to people's attention but do have to ask though.

Why sign if you don't know what you are signing for?

tincatim

Site Supporter
There are worries about cyclists and walkers being hit by flies on the back cast.

I have fished the dam many times and it can be dangerous at times of high water….but very rare to see an incident.
Thanks for explaining.

I would wager that there are more accidents involving cyclists and runners running into each other than anything anglers might cause.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Apparently, from what I've read, there was one incident in 25 years where a pedestrian was hit by an angler's fly on the back-cast.

Overzealous H&S at Anglian Water by all accounts

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
This is worth reading to get different perspectives and there are some very balanced posts.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've read that thread and in all honesty it looks like the majority of fly fishers have just accepted it, rolled over and let AW choose between them and the cyclist/walker, in the latter's favour.
How many of the posters are actually affected by the restrictions though and to what end does it stop, no fishing on the Trent Embankment for instance?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Thank you for taking the time to.
Being impartial I can see it from all perspectives but there are two comments that stand out,duty of care and that anglers in some instances now have to share water space where they once didn't.
Changing times

squimp

Site Supporter
Come on Dave; there is a fairly unsubtle difference between fly fishing and coarse fishing…..I’ve had flies stuck in my head/face twice by other anglers and it isn’t fun.

Ive fished Grafham dozens of times, from the dam, from the miles of natural shoreline and from a boat. Ive fished there for trout, zander and pike with flies and for predators with lures (boat only).

There is an issue with the dam as everybody’s backcasts go straight through the public path/cycle way. It is a hard one to sort out - so the easy option for the management is to stop fishing from the dam.

The good news for the anglers is that they can still fish the natural shore (most of it) or go out in a boat (at a cost).