Angling Auteurs

Zerkalo

Some good ones so far. I reckon you don't have to be an inventor to be an auteur, just someone with style. I reckon if you can do a 'My Life in Angling' video on Youtube you're probably an auteur. Ironic I make this thread here though, as when I posted on a film forum called The Auteurs I argued against the auteur theory and got the site name changed to MUBI along with a group of others.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
For those not familiar with the term, an auteur was applied to film criticism by the French and is defined as follows.

If you was going to apply the same to anglers, who do you think could be described as an auteur? It could be someone who invented a way of fishing or whose style influenced a technique which was to become popular? I am not so up on angling history to be able to pick out names myself.
Bob Nudd ,Alan ,Scothorne ,Steve Ringer ,Tommy Pickering ,Jamie Hughes ,Andy Bennett, the list is never ending ,each gives a unique technique on many disciplines in match fishing . Theres so many superb anglers past and present ,all could be deemed auteurs

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
For those not familiar with the term, an auteur was applied to film criticism by the French and is defined as follows.

If you was going to apply the same to anglers, who do you think could be described as an auteur?
Absolutely no one, it a purely French term applied to influential film directors and of little or no relevance to Angling. In fact it's borderline pretentious and highly unlikely that any angler would want to be described as one.

Far better to ask who the people are who have had a profound and lasting influence within Angling.
Much as I hate the term for its obvious american influence, Who would be a worthy member of an Angling Hall of Fame.

robert d

Site Supporter
Andy Findlay - flat bed method / pellet feeder

Method Feeder​

L

Les Howard​

Guest​

Oct 29, 2002
Does anyone know who invented the method feeder, or know any history on it?

I

ian jay​

Guest​

Oct 30, 2002
"The Method was designed by Matchman Dave Hough for bagging up on Mallory Park, Leicestshire. This was then taken further by former England International Roy Marlow and it's his feeders that the feeders in the shops today are based on."

According to:
http://www.angelfire.com/pw/thetangler/methodfeeder.html

D

Dave Rothery​

Guest​

Oct 30, 2002
I know a lot of developement went on at Horseshoe, and it was "popularised" there. John Claydon/Kev Mildenhall/Choppy had a lot to do with it (from memory)- Whats the diference between fishing scalded pellet method and a pva bag of pellets though? After an hour they are both just a pile of mush. When fishing easier waters I tend to use method to save money in pva bags"

I

ian jay​

Guest​

Oct 30, 2002
Good points, Dave

Perhaps you can cast the feeder further and more acurately?

L

Les Howard​

Guest​

Oct 31, 2002
Thanks alot for the info, its a great help.

M

Mike Harrison​

Guest​

Oct 31, 2002
WOT?? Essex boys here as well Les?

Zerkalo

Fair enough if people don't want to be labelled an auteur. But I don't think it's the same as a Hall of Fame. I wouldn't say everyone with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was an Auteur for example.

robert d

Site Supporter
Fair enough if people don't want to be labelled an auteur. But I don't think it's the same as a Hall of Fame. I wouldn't say everyone with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was an Auteur for example.
I knew what you meant ,someone whos had a great influence ,good enough for me ,regardless of title or name 😉

squimp

Site Supporter
Is Hugh Miles an auteur ?

He makes films and is a serious fisherman.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
He could well be as his style is somewhat distinctive, but is it distinctive enough you would always know it was him. Doubt it.

robert d

Site Supporter
Is Hugh Miles an auteur ?

He makes films and is a serious fisherman.
Just means Author really , but can go further ,controlling ,distinctive Style . Many of our match anglers make films for youtube ect or for cd ,some i guess have a lot of control on how its filmed ,edited ect , id imagine Alan Scothorne would have everything sorted to his liking being a perfectionist in all angling matters.