Angling Auteurs

Zerkalo

For those not familiar with the term, an auteur was applied to film criticism by the French and is defined as follows.

1. a film director who influences their films so much that they rank as their author.

If you was going to apply the same to anglers, who do you think could be described as an auteur? It could be someone who invented a way of fishing or whose style influenced a technique which was to become popular? I am not so up on angling history to be able to pick out names myself.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Chateauneuf du pape Zerkalo!!! Whoever thought of 'tickling trout' must be up the top end of the list.

Zerkalo

You could call John Wilson an Auteur even though he wasn't the first to bring fishing to TV he had his own style.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I always remember the one where you would fish a waggler with no insert then a small polyball a couple of inches above the hook for catching shallow, can't remember who invented it though.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
You could call John Wilson an Auteur even though he wasn't the first to bring fishing to TV he had his own style.
Yep - remember seeing JW in a sorta coracle being towed seawards on a river in India by a Manseer weighing around 150lb- that's what I calls stylish! :D

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Dick Walker for the Arlesley bomb.
Johnny Rolf for the swinger (now the Waggler)
Shaun Harrison for the Helicopter rig.

MarkW

I always remember the one where you would fish a waggler with no insert then a small polyball a couple of inches above the hook for catching shallow, can't remember who invented it though.
Mike Jones of Bristol? Circa 1970?

Dean56

Site Supporter
Lennie Middleton - hair rig, probably seemed daft at the time, what a light bulb moment it proved to be.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Most main name anglers have pinched the idea from someone else.
With most it's a case of right place,right time.
If only Matt Hayes had invented a river groundbait method.
😂😂😂

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Samuel Johnston 1709-1784 (essayist, poet, playwright, etc, and holder of an honorary doctorate from University College Dublin) " A fishing rod is a stick with a hook at one end, and a fool at the other!". ;)