Anglers to challenge Brexit bait ban

Angling Trust

RSS Feed
The Angling Trust has joined forces with bait manufacturers Dynamite and Mainline in urgently seeking clarification on Brexit ruling which will effectively ban UK anglers from taking baits with them on fishing trips in Europe.

Since the UK-EU Trade Agreement came into force on January 1st, the export of baits derived from animal produce, such as boilies, requires a European Health Certificate (EHC) to be completed. At present, the EHC for baits of this sort are under the same requirements as exporting animal feed which involves exhaustive and expensive testing, and certification from a vet. To make export to Europe cost effective, the Angling Trust believes bait needs to sit under a simpler EHC classification.

Mark Owen, the Angling Trust’s Head of Freshwater, said:

“The Angling Trust has retained active engagement with the European Commission through our membership of the European Anglers Alliance and we will continue to press the EU to facilitate this change of EHC classification.

“It is apparent, from our understanding, that the current position will impact on anglers purchasing bait in England to go fishing in Europe once Covid travel restrictions are lifted as they would have to produce an EHC if challenged. We are presently seeking clarification that our interpretation is correct and more information will follow.”

Jamie Cook, Angling Trust CEO and keen carp angler, added:

“It’s ridiculous that fishing baits for a species that is returned alive are being treated as if they were part of the food production process. I have asked my team at the Angling Trust to work with the angling trade to press the European Commission to see sense.”

The Angling Trades Association also hope to provide a briefing on the issues next week.

The post Anglers to challenge Brexit bait ban appeared first on Angling Trust.

Continue reading...

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's an issue to do with the import of animal based products into the EU, pretty much the same guise as the truckers having their sarnies taken from them/confiscated whilst going into the EU.

Basically they're saying that any animal based product, and that includes fishmeal, has the potential to bring with it diseases such as foot and mouth, etc.
It wasn't an issue prior to leaving the EU but is now - go figure.

Another issue on the horizon though and much closer to home, is the labelling of all feeds and hookbaits.
The ingredients will need to be listed on all packaging, pretty much the same as some pet food and food for human consumption is now.
This will apply to all baits, groundbaits, feed, boilies, etc, within the UK and is more a homegrown ruling than an EU one.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Just as an aside what country is vandeneyde or similar company's ground bait/boilies made ?
Level playing field comes to mind.

rudd

Site Supporter
It's an issue to do with the import of animal based products into the EU, pretty much the same guise as the truckers having their sarnies taken from them/confiscated whilst going into the EU.

Basically they're saying that any animal based product, and that includes fishmeal, has the potential to bring with it diseases such as foot and mouth, etc.
It wasn't an issue prior to leaving the EU but is now - go figure.

Another issue on the horizon though and much closer to home, is the labelling of all feeds and hookbaits.
The ingredients will need to be listed on all packaging, pretty much the same as some pet food and food for human consumption is now.
This will apply to all baits, groundbaits, feed, boilies, etc, within the UK and is more a homegrown ruling than an EU one.
EU to UK will eventually have same restrictions come April 1st.

French Customs are acting like complete ars£holes and making life difficult for UK exports travelling to or through France.

Also looking at any driver leaving UK to give 72hrs notice of negative covid test.

Time to Rip up a worthless trade deal, stick up middle finger to EU and send out Royal Navy to keep EU fishing (well French) vessels out of sovereign waters and send dingies back to France.

Maybe also boycot French products and cars, whilst at it - blow that bloody tunnel up as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Since I'll not fish in France (or Europe) again, (for me) its a moot point, but to be honest most of the EU waters usually have a bait manufacturer on tap anyway... as there are numerous bait firms in The EU already, setting up a subsidiary shouldn't be too difficult to supply on the continent should it...? or are the EU mandarins really hell bent on stopping English Anglers going over there

rudd

Site Supporter
I'm French!
Out of whole EU in France seems to be the major anti British agitator.
When I say France I mean Macron and the Parisian mob.
Rural French just get on with it, my old man lived down South of Pau, the French people were very nice and used a barter system.
The Marc De Bourgogne was an eye opener when I visited.
Stills all! over the place!