Angel Of The North

robinta

Friday 4th Sept

Today was my first day back on the bank after just under 5 years away. After not being even able to look at my gear, the urge to go fishing was back, strengthened by my 17 year old's request to go out for only his 2nd ever outing, and first in probably 8 years.

I wanted to go to somewhere I had fished before and could guarantee some fish, so we heading for Lookout Lake at The Angel Of The North in Tyne and Wear.

I decided to start on a Groundbait feeder, but casting was an issue for my son. Back in the day it would have been very haphazard, but I was trying to be far more accurate, using a clip and putting 3 feeder fulls of bait in, before attaching a hook length.

Same Watched me as I cast out with 3 Maggots on the hook, and promptly returned with a 1 oz roach.. Not exactly the target.

Next cast, he was in to a bigger fish on a banded fishery 6mm. I guided him to land a hard fighting 4lb common and he was delighted. Even allowing me to photo him with the fish, when photos are normally off limits.
We alternated fishing whilst the other watched, me losing a decent fish that I probably bullied too quickly that ultimately snagged me in the margins.

We continued to catch fish on differing hookbaits, some more carp between 3-5 lbs, a nice bream and the odd crazy roach.

I felt it was time to get him onto the pole, and plumbed up at 6 sections to keep it easy, and cupped in a mixture of Groundbait, pellets and casters.

I showed him how to ship out and lower in the rig. He struggled a bit with the strike. Timing between a gentle lift and zorro strike.

Again, we started slowly with small roach before getting into bigger fish again. Him asking me to photo him with each fish showed he was enjoying the experience.

The carp at the Angel always used to come right in at your feet, and today was no exception. The carp tails were waving tantalisingly at us, and I set up a margin rig.

We tried a variety of hook baits. 3-4 Maggots would bring back small perch that somehow barged their way through the carp. Paste made from micro pellets was good, if annoying and not easy for a beginner.

Ultimately, we probably added another 10-12 carp between us, the smallest at 4lbs and I caught my biggest pole caught carp of c. 10-11lbs (typically the electronic scales gave out after weighing the first carp). While all the carp from open water had been commons, here we had some mirrors and leathers too. All fought like crazy, and inevitably there were a few lost and hook pulls.

We packed up early as he wanted to get home (where we both fell asleep for 3 hours), but had both really enjoyed the day. I'm sure we'll go out again soon, and the bug is certainly back with me!

His highlight, was catching a lovely sub 2 lb barbel that fought like a demon, probably influenced by me saying that in 40 years fishing (off and on), I had never caught a barbel, so he had one upped his dad!

Great day's fishing and happy to be back

Thanks for reading

Robin

Birtleyheed

Friday 4th Sept

Today was my first day back on the bank after just under 5 years away. After not being even able to look at my gear, the urge to go fishing was back, strengthened by my 17 year old's request to go out for only his 2nd ever outing, and first in probably 8 years.

I wanted to go to somewhere I had fished before and could guarantee some fish, so we heading for Lookout Lake at The Angel Of The North in Tyne and Wear.

I decided to start on a Groundbait feeder, but casting was an issue for my son. Back in the day it would have been very haphazard, but I was trying to be far more accurate, using a clip and putting 3 feeder fulls of bait in, before attaching a hook length.

Same Watched me as I cast out with 3 Maggots on the hook, and promptly returned with a 1 oz roach.. Not exactly the target.

Next cast, he was in to a bigger fish on a banded fishery 6mm. I guided him to land a hard fighting 4lb common and he was delighted. Even allowing me to photo him with the fish, when photos are normally off limits.
We alternated fishing whilst the other watched, me losing a decent fish that I probably bullied too quickly that ultimately snagged me in the margins.

We continued to catch fish on differing hookbaits, some more carp between 3-5 lbs, a nice bream and the odd crazy roach.

I felt it was time to get him onto the pole, and plumbed up at 6 sections to keep it easy, and cupped in a mixture of Groundbait, pellets and casters.

I showed him how to ship out and lower in the rig. He struggled a bit with the strike. Timing between a gentle lift and zorro strike.

Again, we started slowly with small roach before getting into bigger fish again. Him asking me to photo him with each fish showed he was enjoying the experience.

The carp at the Angel always used to come right in at your feet, and today was no exception. The carp tails were waving tantalisingly at us, and I set up a margin rig.

We tried a variety of hook baits. 3-4 Maggots would bring back small perch that somehow barged their way through the carp. Paste made from micro pellets was good, if annoying and not easy for a beginner.

Ultimately, we probably added another 10-12 carp between us, the smallest at 4lbs and I caught my biggest pole caught carp of c. 10-11lbs (typically the electronic scales gave out after weighing the first carp). While all the carp from open water had been commons, here we had some mirrors and leathers too. All fought like crazy, and inevitably there were a few lost and hook pulls.

We packed up early as he wanted to get home (where we both fell asleep for 3 hours), but had both really enjoyed the day. I'm sure we'll go out again soon, and the bug is certainly back with me!

His highlight, was catching a lovely sub 2 lb barbel that fought like a demon, probably influenced by me saying that in 40 years fishing (off and on), I had never caught a barbel, so he had one upped his dad!

Great day's fishing and happy to be back

Thanks for reading

Robin
Enjoyable read Robin. I have been fishing the Angel once a week since taking early retirement, and love the place. On your next visit have a go on the middle lake ( Bowes ) and use 3 or 4 sections of margin pole ( mines a middy white knuckle 6 mtr ) down the sides. I usually use corn, mussel or spicy luncheon meat and the carp go nuts for those baits, providing arm-aching action. Usually get a few nice Bream and the occasional tench as well. Tight lines !

robinta

Thanks for that!

Ironically I'm going back tomorrow (wed). I decided to get back out on my own for another trip, and had already decided to give Bowes a shot. I've fished the Angel about 15 times, but always on lookout, so going on a match day means I won't change my mind!.

Is it still worth fishing an open water swim as well as the margins (say 5-8m out), or a feeder tight to an island?

I'm happy fishing margins but like a few options.
Lastly, is there a better part of the lake to head for, or is it much the same?
Cheers

Birtleyheed

Thanks for that!

Ironically I'm going back tomorrow (wed). I decided to get back out on my own for another trip, and had already decided to give Bowes a shot. I've fished the Angel about 15 times, but always on lookout, so going on a match day means I won't change my mind!.

Is it still worth fishing an open water swim as well as the margins (say 5-8m out), or a feeder tight to an island?

I'm happy fishing margins but like a few options.
Lastly, is there a better part of the lake to head for, or is it much the same?
Cheers
On Bowes lake pegs 1 to 7 and 38 to 40 are usually excellent. Ive also had an outstanding couple of sessions on peg 11. I tend to use pole up to 9 mtrs max, but you can certainly catch plenty up to that range. I tend to only fish feeder when it cools down ( then usually go on lookout lake) with maggot or worm hookbait and usually still catch a good few. Ronnie

robinta

On Bowes lake pegs 1 to 7 and 38 to 40 are usually excellent. Ive also had an outstanding couple of sessions on peg 11. I tend to use pole up to 9 mtrs max, but you can certainly catch plenty up to that range. I tend to only fish feeder when it cools down ( then usually go on lookout lake) with maggot or worm hookbait and usually still catch a good few. Ronnie
Cheers.. I'm on 38 now.. Having fun!

robinta

Had a cracking day on Bowes today. Lost count but I think I had c. 40+ carp ( to 7lbs) plus roach and a nice golden tench. Annoyingly, I must have lost the same amount again as I Ianded.

I had a 'misadventure' with my heaviest top kit and the next one down was (I think) on 10-14 hollow.

If the carp ran and kept going I suspect the elastic was bottoming out, leading to hook pulls.

I need to look at my top kit elastics for next trip.
I'm going to put up a thread later about today, including my unintentional Mr Bean impression.

robinta

Can I ask which pole elastics you normally use Ronnie on Bowes? I lost my heavier top kit and had to use a 10-14. Found even 2/3 lb carp took ages to land. If they ran too far, or I even attempted to bully them the elastic bottomed out and I got pulls

Birtleyheed

Can I ask which pole elastics you normally use Ronnie on Bowes? I lost my heavier top kit and had to use a 10-14. Found even 2/3 lb carp took ages to land. If they ran too far, or I even attempted to bully them the elastic bottomed out and I got pulls
Sounds like youve had a good session.Them golden tench are lovely fish. I use a 20 elastic Robin. I wouldnt be too confident using anything less to be honest, as most of the carp there appear to be on steriods ! Their initial runs can be a bit heart-stopping when using the pole ! ( Ive had a few hooks straightened and pole floats damaged ). Believe the fish population in Bowes is approx 70% carp, so not advisable to fish too light. Downside for me is I do bump off a lot of smaller fish. I recently purchased a cheap 9ft diem impact carp rod on-line to use as an alternative method to fish at closer ranges, and it does give a bit more umph in dealing with those bigger margin carp. Best ive had since lockdown is 10lb 3oz, but ive lost plenty of bigger ones ! Going next tuesday intending to fish on Lookout lake ( would love to catch one of the big resident perch in there ).

robinta

Sounds like youve had a good session.Them golden tench are lovely fish. I use a 20 elastic Robin. I wouldnt be too confident using anything less to be honest, as most of the carp there appear to be on steriods ! Their initial runs can be a bit heart-stopping when using the pole ! ( Ive had a few hooks straightened and pole floats damaged ). Believe the fish population in Bowes is approx 70% carp, so not advisable to fish too light. Downside for me is I do bump off a lot of smaller fish. I recently purchased a cheap 9ft diem impact carp rod on-line to use as an alternative method to fish at closer ranges, and it does give a bit more umph in dealing with those bigger margin carp. Best ive had since lockdown is 10lb 3oz, but ive lost plenty of bigger ones ! Going next tuesday intending to fish on Lookout lake ( would love to catch one of the big resident perch in there ).
Sounds about right Ronnie.. Enjoy your next trip

Birtleyheed

Had a 7 hour session on Bowes lake peg 31 on Monday. Tried a new method ( for me ) fishing banded 6mm pellet on a 16 hook shallow at top kit + 2 sections, lightly feeding micro pellets, dropping into margins both sides on occasion. Caught from the off, total of 77 carp ( best weighed 9lb 6 oz ). Switching occasionally to small pieces of meat, mussel, corn or maggot added 30 odd roach and a few skimmers, ide, tiny perch and a nice golden tench, for a bit of variety. Definite convert to pellet fishing now ! ( thanks to Ann for sorting me out with correct bait bands and pellet banding tool; always good to learn new things, even after 30+ years of fishing ) As a pleasure angler, I look forward to my weekly fishing trips here with relish.

robinta

Had a 7 hour session on Bowes lake peg 31 on Monday. Tried a new method ( for me ) fishing banded 6mm pellet on a 16 hook shallow at top kit + 2 sections, lightly feeding micro pellets, dropping into margins both sides on occasion. Caught from the off, total of 77 carp ( best weighed 9lb 6 oz ). Switching occasionally to small pieces of meat, mussel, corn or maggot added 30 odd roach and a few skimmers, ide, tiny perch and a nice golden tench, for a bit of variety. Definite convert to pellet fishing now ! ( thanks to Ann for sorting me out with correct bait bands and pellet banding tool; always good to learn new things, even after 30+ years of fishing ) As a pleasure angler, I look forward to my weekly fishing trips here with relish.
Sounds like a brilliant session, well done! Were you on the 20 elastic, and did you lose many Ronnie?

Birtleyheed

Sounds like a brilliant session, well done! Were you on the 20 elastic, and did you lose many Ronnie?
Yes Robin, I always stay on the 20 elastic when there are so many biggish carp about. Might drop down and try the 14 elastic on my spare top kit when temps cool down a bit, and carp are not so active. Dotted the float down a touch more and didn't seem to bump off as many smaller fish as usual! Also, cutting back quite a bit on what I normally loose feed ( just fed half a dozen small pellets infrequently ) did seem to result in hitting more bites.

robinta

Yes Robin, I always stay on the 20 elastic when there are so many biggish carp about. Might drop down and try the 14 elastic on my spare top kit when temps cool down a bit, and carp are not so active. Dotted the float down a touch more and didn't seem to bump off as many smaller fish as usual! Also, cutting back quite a bit on what I normally loose feed ( just fed half a dozen small pellets infrequently ) did seem to result in hitting more bites.
Excellent.. Cheers