Andrew Marr, The BBC and "Filtered" News

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Andrew Marr has announced he is leaving BBC. He is moving to Global (LBC, Classic FM). A comment of his, I think, gives an intriguing insight into the BBC's presentation of current affairs and political news.

"Coming to Global gives me a new freedom - to do fast-paced, very regular political journalism on LBC with no filter, in entirely my own voice."

I wonder what "filter" has been applied and why he was not allowed by the BBC to use his own "voice"?

Does this indicate that the BBC do indeed influence how news is presented and that there is, as many suspect, a bias? If so, in what direction?

corbyclubman

I was wondering the same Neil, I think it boils down to having to have a good degree of impartiality on the BBC compared to other platforms such as LBC ?

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Back in May he said that he wasn't happy at having to remain impartial at the BBC. A few weeks ago, he got hammered by Nadine Dorries over his interview with Boris for not being impartial - I believe that that's what he's referring to.

Who knows whether it was that, whether it was itchy feet after 16 years of doing the same thing, or the offer of an extra £100k+ a year. Or all three.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I think ,and its only my thoughts, that marr is leaving in order to present a news feed with a left of centre bias much in the way that Farage and Ferrari present right wing news feeds and agendas

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out given Andrew Neil's departure from the same type of format

cameraman

The best thing on Sky Sports
You would expect all political reporters have some bias towards the party they support so it must affect your interview techniques.

Politics[edit]​

Marr has written about the need to remain impartial and "studiously neutral" whilst delivering news reports and "convey fact, and nothing more".[32] At an October 2006, BBC seminar discussing impartiality, Marr highlighted alleged bias within the BBC. He stated: "The BBC is not impartial or neutral. It's a publicly funded, urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities, and gay people. It has a liberal bias, not so much a party-political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias."[33][34] In May 2021, he talked about his frustration at having to maintain his impartiality at the BBC and not being able to speak in his own voice. He said: "I think it will be very, very hard for people like me to carry on being completely neutral and completely sotto voce all the way through that ... At some point, I want to get out and use my own voice again."[35]

In The Daily Telegraph, in 2007, he said that he was a libertarian when discussing his conflicting views on smoking bans.[36] Writing in The Guardian in 1999, he defined himself as a "pampered white liberal" and said that:

... though teachers are the most effective anti-racist campaigners in the country, this means more than education in other religions it means a form of political education. Only people who understand the economic forces changing their world, threatening them but also creating new opportunities, have a chance of being immune to the old tribal chants. And the final answer, frankly, is the vigorous use of state power to coerce and repress. It may be my Presbyterian background, but I firmly believe that repression can be a great, civilising instrument for good. Stamp hard on certain 'natural' beliefs for long enough and you can almost kill them off. The police are first in line to be burdened further, but a new Race Relations Act will impose the will of the state on millions of other lives too.[37]
In March 2014, Marr was criticised for allegedly expressing his own opinion on an independent Scotland's membership of the EU while interviewing Scottish politician Alex Salmond on BBC Television.[38]

In the New Statesman during 2015, Marr expressed the opinion that the new Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn may be electable and that Conservative leaders recognise this. Marr wrote, "Here and now, in 2015, we know diddly-squat." At that time Marr considered a Labour election victory under Corbyn unlikely.[39]

On the BBC's This Week on 16 May 2019, George Galloway said "I knew Andrew Marr when he was a Trotskyite selling Trotskyite newspapers to bewildered railwaymen outside King's Cross Station".[40]

Reuben

Site Supporter
Back in May he said that he wasn't happy at having to remain impartial at the BBC. A few weeks ago, he got hammered by Nadine Dorries over his interview with Boris for not being impartial - I believe that that's what he's referring to.

Who knows whether it was that, whether it was itchy feet after 16 years of doing the same thing, or the offer of an extra £100k+ a year. Or all three.
My vote’s for the money….

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I never saw the BBC as being any good at impartiality if that's their intention, it almost used to drive me to shout at the telly, disagreeing with most of what they say.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I never saw the BBC as being any good at impartiality if that's their intention, it almost used to drive me to shout at the telly, disagreeing with most of what they say.
Hey... its nowt new... Been doing that for years now... I've stopped reading papers or watching news shows... I can feel that little vein start throbbing on my temple and my heart rate goes up... I have to go and do summat calming... taken up Yoga relaxation techniques lately... it works..... sometimes