And you thought you had an appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A TELECOM engineer rang the changes by trying to eat 48oz of sprouts - but found them too much to stomach and had to give up after vomiting.

Glutton-for-punishment Ivan Richards was one of 20 people trying to prove their eating prowess in order to join the Worcestershire-based Piggies Dining Club.

Until recently, the only way to secure elusive membership was to finish a toilet seat-sized steak.

But the club branched out in September with a challenge to eat 3lbs of sprouts. Mr Richards is only the second piggie ever to attempt the challenge.

In September, vegetarian Bob Beaumont took on the pile, and ate his greens in just 92 minutes.

"Although Ivan started well, he had to retire after 60 minutes as a result of repetitive vomiting," said Piggies' president Jon Lewis.

Ivan said he had just nine sprouts left to eat when he had to visit the toilet.

"I was really disappointed. I chose sprouts because they have always been my favourite vegetable but I don't think I could face another one now," he said.

As well as the sprout challenge, Thursday's evening of eating marked the introduction of three new challenges: The Pork Sword, Welsh Faggot and Jenga Tower of Fish Fingers, each weighing in at 48oz.

"Existing member John Powell was first to complete the Jenga Tower of 60 fish fingers in a credible time of 19 minutes and 50 seconds," said Mr Lewis.

"This will be the lead time for future challengers.

"The 3lb faggot challenge proved too difficult for either of the contenders and members questioned whether anybody would ever overcome it."

The best time of the evening was set by Steve Boffey, who eat the 48oz steak in 19 minutes and 20 seconds.

However, this is still shy of the club record for eating the steak, which currently stands at a staggering 10 minutes and 32 seconds.

The club also raises money for local charities as members place bets on who will finish first.

A total of 355 was raised for Worcester's amateur rugby team The Wanderers.

"The members would like to thank Brian Hulme and his staff at the Bird in Hand for hosting the event," said Mr Lewis.

Craig and Darren Pinches, of Bushwhackers, donated a DVD player for the person who was closest to guessing who would complete the challenge first and in what time.

For further information about the club and the next initiation, log on to www.piggiesdiningclub.co.uk

Dave Datafile2.gif

norm

sounds like a good club for you to join toma (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.