And now for something a little different....

SeanB

Site Supporter
It's not often that I have a day which I think went perfectly. Normally I will manage to make a pigs ear of casting, lose stuff into the water or generally be the person who puts the nump into numpty ?.
Chosen venue for the day was Daiwa Westlands, a complex of 5 day ticket lakes and 1 syndicate carp lake. Its only about 15 miles from home and has a good tackleshop on site.
Unusually all the ponds were very busy, fishing midweek is normally quite quiet, but I settled into a peg on middle pond. I've had some nice fish here previously and you can park right behind your peg.
In the past I have often over complicated things so I limited myself to pellets, strawberry corn and about half a pint of match method mix groundbait. I also had a few mini boilies and bandums that live in my bag.
The plan was to fish expanders at 7m in around 5 foot of water. I also set up a method feeder to fish the far bank.
Despite it being busy, a tree to my right meant I could only see one angler, a nice old chap on the the next, corner peg.
After pumping a mix of 4,6 and 8mm expanders with a squirt of scopex added. A 0.4g pellet styx float on 0.16 reflo was fastened to the 12-14 zipp elastic. An 18 drennan pellet hook with a quick stop held the soft pellets that were set to fish just touching bottom.
A cad pot allowed me to sprinkle micros and 4mils directly over the float, but I also threw hard 4mils by hand thinking that the sound might attract a few fishy fishys.
First put in with an 8mm pro expander saw the float sail away as a 10oz skimmer nailed the bait. This continued all day, from 11.45 through to 20.15. Interspersed between the skimmers came a procession of big f1's, mirrors and ghosties.
I actually managed to have a full session fishing without dropping, breaking or losing any thing. I must have had 60lb of fish, including an 8lb ghost carp on a 10mm citruz boilie.
Curiously every fish fought like an absolute lunatic, even the skimmers.
Now this is probably the best days fishing I've had in nearly 50 years. As well as catching consistently, even though it was a relatively modest weight compared to some match results, I could sit on my box feeling the sun on my back and the warm breeze in my face. I was thrilled watching a beautiful kingfisher, resplendent in his dazzling electric blue livery, swooping and diving into the lake, scooping up some of the small fry hugging the margins.
A family of ducks kept me company after my neighbour on the next peg left, greedily hoovering up occasional offerings of pellets and corn.
So whilst I broke no records, or caught the biggest fish, I returned home feeling more relaxed and less anxious than I have in a long time. I think following some of Neil of the nenes blog advice and keeping everything simple was definitely a good decision, but taking time out to just sit and take in the majesty of nature in its purity was an even better one.
I took a few pics through the day, but not many fish pics as they were thrashing about in the net and I was worried about them injuring themselves, its a bit tricky getting a decent photo when you're on your own ?
IMG_20200609_175909.jpg IMG_20200609_130703.jpg IMG_20200609_193605.jpg IMG_20200609_183348.jpg IMG_20200609_130709.jpg IMG_20200609_173233.jpg IMG_20200609_173222.jpg IMG_20200609_174535.jpg IMG_20200609_173708.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanB

Site Supporter
Hmmm bugger not sure how I've managed to post them so many times lol although it might make it look like I caught more lol

SeanB

Site Supporter
You should have seen it when the old guy fed his left over bread in!!!

SeanB

Site Supporter
It was, the ducks and geese weren't really any bother though, it was only when I was dropping a bait in the margins and they started diving down near it that I had to be really careful. Otherwise I quite enjoy seeing the wildlife, I fished the week before and had a red kite flying around most of the day and this time it was a kingfisher. I find it very calming, good for the soul if you believe in that sort of thing.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hmmm bugger not sure how I've managed to post them so many times lol although it might make it look like I caught more lol

Lol, that was hard work :D

I've tidied your post up for you ;)

SeanB

Site Supporter
You are a good 'un ?
Don't quite know what happened for them to upload so many times. Next time I will stick to crayon drawings ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it happens again just hit the Report link underneath and one of the moderators will fix it - don't let it stop you posting :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well done pal. Looks very clear. I may been tempted to use a waggler. Some cracking fish. Think your camera may have a stutter. ??

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If it happens again just hit the Report link underneath and one of the moderators will fix it - don't let it stop you posting :)
You mean to say he didn't catch 57 carp Dave ? ? I've Steve Ringer on the phone asking for Sean's autograph here. ???

SeanB

Site Supporter
Well done pal. Looks very clear. I may been tempted to use a waggler. Some cracking fish. Think your camera may have a stutter. ??
Waggler works well here too, I stuck with the pole as I was trying some new elastic and wanted to give it a good workout.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Waggler works well here too, I stuck with the pole as I was trying some new elastic and wanted to give it a good workout.
And ????? C'mon, spill the beans. What ya been trying and was it any good ? ?

SeanB

Site Supporter
No secret, I used Nufish Zipp 12-14 (black).
I'm no expert so can only give my opinion but I really liked it. Its soft and very stretchy, maybe a tad over rated power wise, but that's something I've heard said about other "hybrid" elastics. I hooked 1 good sized carp in the edge and I don't think it even knew it was hooked.
I used a puller bung and had plenty of water to play the fish. If I was worried about snags or space I would use something much more powerful, black hydro or above.
At £5 for 3m it's cheap enough to try it out.

SeanB

Site Supporter

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
It's not often that I have a day which I think went perfectly. Normally I will manage to make a pigs ear of casting, lose stuff into the water or generally be the person who puts the nump into numpty ?.
Chosen venue for the day was Daiwa Westlands, a complex of 5 day ticket lakes and 1 syndicate carp lake. Its only about 15 miles from home and has a good tackleshop on site.
Unusually all the ponds were very busy, fishing midweek is normally quite quiet, but I settled into a peg on middle pond. I've had some nice fish here previously and you can park right behind your peg.
In the past I have often over complicated things so I limited myself to pellets, strawberry corn and about half a pint of match method mix groundbait. I also had a few mini boilies and bandums that live in my bag.
The plan was to fish expanders at 7m in around 5 foot of water. I also set up a method feeder to fish the far bank.
Despite it being busy, a tree to my right meant I could only see one angler, a nice old chap on the the next, corner peg.
After pumping a mix of 4,6 and 8mm expanders with a squirt of scopex added. A 0.4g pellet styx float on 0.16 reflo was fastened to the 12-14 zipp elastic. An 18 drennan pellet hook with a quick stop held the soft pellets that were set to fish just touching bottom.
A cad pot allowed me to sprinkle micros and 4mils directly over the float, but I also threw hard 4mils by hand thinking that the sound might attract a few fishy fishys.
First put in with an 8mm pro expander saw the float sail away as a 10oz skimmer nailed the bait. This continued all day, from 11.45 through to 20.15. Interspersed between the skimmers came a procession of big f1's, mirrors and ghosties.
I actually managed to have a full session fishing without dropping, breaking or losing any thing. I must have had 60lb of fish, including an 8lb ghost carp on a 10mm citruz boilie.
Curiously every fish fought like an absolute lunatic, even the skimmers.
Now this is probably the best days fishing I've had in nearly 50 years. As well as catching consistently, even though it was a relatively modest weight compared to some match results, I could sit on my box feeling the sun on my back and the warm breeze in my face. I was thrilled watching a beautiful kingfisher, resplendent in his dazzling electric blue livery, swooping and diving into the lake, scooping up some of the small fry hugging the margins.
A family of ducks kept me company after my neighbour on the next peg left, greedily hoovering up occasional offerings of pellets and corn.
So whilst I broke no records, or caught the biggest fish, I returned home feeling more relaxed and less anxious than I have in a long time. I think following some of Neil of the nenes blog advice and keeping everything simple was definitely a good decision, but taking time out to just sit and take in the majesty of nature in its purity was an even better one.
I took a few pics through the day, but not many fish pics as they were thrashing about in the net and I was worried about them injuring themselves, its a bit tricky getting a decent photo when you're on your own ?
IMG_20200609_175909.jpg IMG_20200609_130703.jpg IMG_20200609_193605.jpg IMG_20200609_183348.jpg IMG_20200609_130709.jpg IMG_20200609_173233.jpg IMG_20200609_173222.jpg IMG_20200609_174535.jpg IMG_20200609_173708.jpg
Cracking day well done ,hope you have many more ,keep it simple and you will have many more brilliant days . I have been guilty so many times of over complicating things. Love the pics and you report ,nice happy read

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
No secret, I used Nufish Zipp 12-14 (black).
I'm no expert so can only give my opinion but I really liked it. Its soft and very stretchy, maybe a tad over rated power wise, but that's something I've heard said about other "hybrid" elastics. I hooked 1 good sized carp in the edge and I don't think it even knew it was hooked.
I used a puller bung and had plenty of water to play the fish. If I was worried about snags or space I would use something much more powerful, black hydro or above.
At £5 for 3m it's cheap enough to try it out.
I've been thinking of changing back to Preston slip elastics or other solids for snag fishing either in doubles or higher ratings 16 or 18 as I'm finding some snaggy swims a nightmare with hollows .