And here comes another feeder rod quandary..

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I have a Frenzee 9'6" FXT and the weekend was it's real first trial using the Preston XL banjo method... It coped, Just. So, I took the plunge and got a deal on a Tricast Excellence @ 11' from a fellow member. (y) But I want 2 rods. One at 11 the other at 10.
I'm looking at the Shimano Aero X5 Precision or the Guru N Gauge Feeder. Both are in the same price bracket. Does anyone own either and can offer some input to my choice?
Why have 2 makes at different lengths I hear you ask? One (Tricast) for longer or snaggy swims, the other for shorter and margin work.

Cheers all
Munchy

scuttster

Site Supporter
I have a Frenzee 9'6" FXT and the weekend was it's real first trial using the Preston XL banjo method... It coped, Just. So, I took the plunge and got a deal on a Tricast Excellence @ 11' from a fellow member. (y) But I want 2 rods. One at 11 the other at 10.
I'm looking at the Shimano Aero X5 Precision or the Guru N Gauge Feeder. Both are in the same price bracket. Does anyone own either and can offer some input to my choice?
Why have 2 makes at different lengths I hear you ask? One (Tricast) for longer or snaggy swims, the other for shorter and margin work.

Cheers all
Munchy

To begin I will say I don't own either of these rods but I can see reasons behind the wanting different lengths for different purposes.

Having a quick look at specs the AEX5PRFDR10 (Shimano) has a casting weight of upto 60g whilst the guru is upto 50g whether this has any impact for you. I also saw somewhere (but can't place where right now) that the x5 could take up to around an 0.22 Shimano line but how true this is I don't know and might be worth taking a look at the tags and labelling at Mr Bob & Companies Tackle Emporium.

Out of the two, I personally, based on the info online and picture of fit and finishes would be edging towards the Shimano but that is without having the obligatory tackle shop waggle and power test.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Doesn't a 9 foot 6 and an 11 give you a broader range of use more than just a 10 and 11 ? I'd stick with what you have

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Problem is the 9'6 is undergunned hence it needs replacing with something more capable.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My dear Mr Munch you simply have too much choice - if you are lucky enough to be poor like me then you will only have one feeder rod (a Ron Thompson 12’ Panther with 3 tips) with which you will fish method, bomb, cage feeder from margin to 50yds out and and rather than pondering if you have the correct rod for the day you can get on with the fun part - catching fish ;):)(y)

With this one rod I can catch anything from 4oz to 14lb untroubled by choice and having to cart a lot less gear to the bankside

Go minimalist and all your troubles will disappear as if by magic

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I doubt you’d go far wrong with an ngauge or precision as both feel like nice rods and get good reviews. I’d probably lean towards the shimano though based on the higher casting weight without much difference in feel plus it’s definitely got a nicer finish.

satinet

Site Supporter
The garbolino zombie is pretty beefy. Looks nice in the tackle shop 🙂

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
My dear Mr Munch you simply have too much choice - if you are lucky enough to be poor like me then you will only have one feeder rod (a Ron Thompson 12’ Panther with 3 tips) with which you will fish method, bomb, cage feeder from margin to 50yds out and and rather than pondering if you have the correct rod for the day you can get on with the fun part - catching fish ;):)(y)

With this one rod I can catch anything from 4oz to 14lb untroubled by choice and having to cart a lot less gear to the bankside

Go minimalist and all your troubles will disappear as if by magic
But I like shiny new stuff @OldTaff :cool: As luck would have it, as well as the 11' Tricast the very same gent has a brand new unused 10' as well that he has obligingly offered to part with. I shall however keep hold of the Frenzee until I am happily in tune with the Tricast's then offer it up on here for a new home.
Cover the postage... (y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
But I like shiny new stuff @OldTaff :cool: As luck would have it, as well as the 11' Tricast the very same gent has a brand new unused 10' as well that he has obligingly offered to part with. I shall however keep hold of the Frenzee until I am happily in tune with the Tricast's then offer it up on here for a new home.
Cover the postage... (y)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: who doesn’t love shiny stuff

You know you are absolutely barmy, in a good way of course, and I hope those Tricasts’s do the business for you - obviously not so well that @Mrs Munch can’t still give you a run for your money ;)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
She is a force to be recconed with of that their is no doubt. Fortunately for me she is happy to stick to the waggler... long may it continue lol.
I don't want my ass handed to me on every fishing trip 🤣

scuttster

Site Supporter
Cover the postage... (y)
Very nice Mr Munch always good to have a rods from matching sets. Especially when the quiver tips are interchangeable.

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: who doesn’t love shiny stuff

You know you are absolutely barmy, in a good way of course, and I hope those Tricasts’s do the business for you - obviously not so well that @Mrs Munch can’t still give you a run for your money ;)
He has to try every method he can think of to try and beat me. The poor old sod. 🤪🤭

To be fair he did our fish me last time we were out. I can't deny that. 😱

💕

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Did out fish you? You were hammered darling. Also your biggest fish of the day was ...hmmm... oh that's right, on my method feeder whilst I was takling down. 😁😙

OldTaff

Site Supporter
He has to try every method he can think of to try and beat me. The poor old sod. 🤪🤭

To be fair he did our fish me last time we were out. I can't deny that. 😱

💕
If you want to stick to the waggler you can still smash him - fish a pellet waggler and bag up on carp. He may get bigger fish on the feeder but you will put 5 or more in the net for every one of his

invest in a couple of the new Preston precision pellet wagglers in 2g, 3g and 4g plus a set of Drennan quick change waggler adapters then take him to pieces

watch Andy Power

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Hehe, I've a couple of pellet waggler rods in the hidey hole. That is the next one on the list to learn. Both are Preston in 10 and 12'... Keep it quiet though, this rod collection is getting harder to hide ;)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Hehe, I've a couple of pellet waggler rods in the hidey hole. That is the next one on the list to learn. Both are Preston in 10 and 12'... Keep it quiet though, this rod collection is getting harder to hide ;)

I used to be like that with guitars, anything over 15 was tricky to tuck away unnoticed.

I’ve a Drennan Red range (11’ I think) which is a stunner and was £20 off FB - pellet waggler fishing is not terribly restful but once you have them on the go it is exhilarating.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Guitars... That was my thing back in the day. I'm a natural left hander. That's a pain in the bum just trying to find or adapt a semi decent one to suit.
Ernie Ball Music Man, Ibanez Jem, Tanglewood acoustics... A few Yam's and a Gibson. Then I smashed my hand up and have no knuckles on my right ring and little finger. I gave up as my little finger now goes under my ring finger. In have been thinking about trying again and learning with the normal right hand but fishing is now my main hobby. Joe Satriani was my main influence back then, one track I could do well was "new rays from an ancient sun"