An unexpected session helping a random!

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Down my local pond.

Few weeks back I gave an older fella one of my favourite float in a rig form and promised I'd get him set up next time I see him down there. Now, The pond I'm talking about had been decimated by Otters a few years back and is still getting hit by Cormorants. It's not an easy lake to fish, Far from it. Mostly because it lacks fish, And the bigger fish that are in there are pretty wild, very cagey and rarely get caught. I'd say theres well under 15 carp in the venue, 10-15 Bream (Which are recovering well), Some Nice Skimmers and some lovely roach fishing.

This is problematic for a lot of people and they lose hope very quickly fishing the pond because even the roach can be finnicky and the fishing can just turn off completely within minutes. It's mostly fished by older fellas who chuck on a Waggler 4ft in front of them at a random depth while leaving it for a few hours with their fingers crossed, y'know the type. Anywho, I don't usually offer help because I don't want to sound a pretentious know it all but when I found out this guy had lost all hope and no longer wanted to attend matches because he couldn't compete only catching a few oz each match I couldn't resist not offering a hand next time he was down the pond.

So, Had finished work at 9. Went swimming with the partner till 2. Walked home hoping to finally get some sleep as I'd only had 3 hours last night. As usual, Walked past the local pond and I run across the guy in the car park and offered him a hand getting his gear to his peg being a bit of an older fella. Asked him if he'd like any help setting up and he'd told me he wanted to fish his whip in the margins. I told him he might suffer as it's cold and the fish might be in deeper water, He gave it a shot anyways and it didn't pan out for him and he didn't get a bite haha. I tell him to grab out the rig I give him, Get his 8M Pole out and see how far out he'd comfortably be able to sit long term with it - He finds he can sit about 6.5M out comfortably. While hes finding the rig I soak up a few of his micro's so they're sticky enough to form balls for cupping and then move onto getting him plumbed up.

So, We're plumbed up. I run him through what we're going to do and what we're not going to do.
Firstly, and most importantly - No hand feeding 6MM Pellets over a 2M area. Actually, No hand feeding at all. Certainly not 6MM pellets. Any food that goes into that peg comes from that cup and that cup alone. We're also only feeling 1 small cup of soaked Micros formed into a ball to get started, We'll slowly introduce a few maggots, maybe a couple of expanders here and there. I explained to him that we're probably not going to get much for the first half hour to 45 minutes so expect that and don't lose faith. Secondly, There is no getting bored and changing spots. We've picked a spot, We're plumbed up, And as soon as we put that first ball of micro's in we're sticking to that spot and that spot only.

He's totally ok with this entire procedure until he see's how little a half palm sized ball of Micro's are. He's looking at me with complete scepticism as I put that first cup of Micro's into his cup and tell him thats it. :ROFLMAO: First chuck, we get a few bites. That's alright sight much more than what he had in his margin on his whip. We don't hook into anything but we're fishing expander. I suspect it's roach and I tell him to switch over to maggots (His maggots were a dead mess or I'd have started on them! - Advised him to put them in water before he next freezes them haha). Anywho, 2 or 3 minutes in and we're getting consistent takes and it's not long before he's on the board with a roach so he's already happy. We have a couple more casts and we're getting consistent bites but he's holding his pole wrong and the strikes aren't efficient enough, I kinda let this fly because I dont want to sound a d*ck. He eventually hooks into a nice Hybrid though and I tell him to feed maybe 4-6 maggots every 2 or 3 fish, Then another small ball of micros every so often. More scepticism looks but he goes with it.

As I told him earlier, We may have to just stick with this cycle for up to an hour before we get anything decent and as expected the bubbling starts and I tell him to be on his game as this is what I want to accomplish; Bream as he never catches them. He bumps a really nice take which I suspect is a bream (Slime on line) and I tell him to just stick with it and not to worry. Another 5 minute passes and he gets another great take, He strikes, elastic comes out 2 or 3 inches and does nothing. Kinda like he snagged something on the bottom.. Then it moves, slowly. I call that it's a bream but then it really fires off so at this point I suspect he's either foul hooked a bream or he's got a Tench, After about 10 seconds it quickly becomes apparent that it's neither. A foul hooked bream would've quickly tired and the movement were just all wrong for a Tench so I tell him to take it easy. After about 45 seconds I've basically confirmed it's a carp from the movements and how much it's ripping his elastic out (12-14 Solid I'd suspect).

So, Here we are. 1 stressing, bluffing moron, 1 desperate, now stressing man who's quickly calling my bluff on what the fish is. A £30 8M Pole, Stock 12-14 Solid Elastic that doesn't feel too cracky,3-4Lb Line to I believe a 2Lb Hooklength and a size 18 hook. Now, Before ya'll start bagging, The rig I gave him was the only one that was usable for the occasion. The pole, the elastic, everything else is what I've been left to work with.

Regardless, We're doing alright. Fish had been on for about 2 or 3 minutes at this point and I'm just trying to calm this fella down. Don't be too eager to get it in, Don't put too much stress on the line. Let it do as it pleases until it tires then we'll work on pressuring it in then. Don't let it hit your left side margin, It's full of weed, Don't let it come to the bank, it's full of weed, We'll net it about 2-3m out. At this point, I'm also guiding the guys movements kneeling at the front of the bank because he's low-key losing it and is really struggling to play it by himself. We have a few close calls with him letting it run into the left side margin but other than that he's doing ok keeping it in the middle of the pond. By about 4 minutes the fish has topped once or twice and we're so close to netting it. The problem is, The fish in this pond fight like crazy, They're wild. They never get caught, And when he see's it's a nice carp he becomes even more nervous. It finally, finally starts to tire after about 6 minutes (I don't usually or like to play them for this long but I wanted to get this one in) and it topped, Shot off, and after about 45 seconds topped again where I finally got it in the net.

Was an 8lb common, Pristine condition like every fish in the pond. Some of the most satisfying to catch fish are in that pond.

He was ecstatic & I was happy for him. Took some pictures for him and released the fish back properly and safely.

Sat with him for the next 20 minutes or so just to run him through what he should do when I've left. He just rambled on about how that made his night and how he's still shaking.

As I left I shouted 'Feed very little and often'

He shouted back 'Alright'

I hope that man goes on to catch some Bream now.

P.S I also learnt that my solid elastic fishing days are long, long gone. :p:p

Long I know, But thought it's worth a share. Really fun little session I had this evening.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
You gave that old chap a day he will probably remember for the rest of his life.
I salute you sir, you are a gent and true angler.
Thank you! He reckons he hadn't had a carp in ages and was very eager to take pictures of his catch. He'd only had a crappy camera though, Guy was shocked to see how far mobile phones had come, Sent them all over to his Facebook profile for him to print out haha.
Can't wait to see him next to see what he's caught since I'd left, Hopefully a nice head of bream.
Hopefully it'll give him a bit more confidence turning up to the matches in future also!

SUFC

Down my local pond.

Few weeks back I gave an older fella one of my favourite float in a rig form and promised I'd get him set up next time I see him down there. Now, The pond I'm talking about had been decimated by Otters a few years back and is still getting hit by Cormorants. It's not an easy lake to fish, Far from it. Mostly because it lacks fish, And the bigger fish that are in there are pretty wild, very cagey and rarely get caught. I'd say theres well under 15 carp in the venue, 10-15 Bream (Which are recovering well), Some Nice Skimmers and some lovely roach fishing.

This is problematic for a lot of people and they lose hope very quickly fishing the pond because even the roach can be finnicky and the fishing can just turn off completely within minutes. It's mostly fished by older fellas who chuck on a Waggler 4ft in front of them at a random depth while leaving it for a few hours with their fingers crossed, y'know the type. Anywho, I don't usually offer help because I don't want to sound a pretentious know it all but when I found out this guy had lost all hope and no longer wanted to attend matches because he couldn't compete only catching a few oz each match I couldn't resist not offering a hand next time he was down the pond.

So, Had finished work at 9. Went swimming with the partner till 2. Walked home hoping to finally get some sleep as I'd only had 3 hours last night. As usual, Walked past the local pond and I run across the guy in the car park and offered him a hand getting his gear to his peg being a bit of an older fella. Asked him if he'd like any help setting up and he'd told me he wanted to fish his whip in the margins. I told him he might suffer as it's cold and the fish might be in deeper water, He gave it a shot anyways and it didn't pan out for him and he didn't get a bite haha. I tell him to grab out the rig I give him, Get his 8M Pole out and see how far out he'd comfortably be able to sit long term with it - He finds he can sit about 6.5M out comfortably. While hes finding the rig I soak up a few of his micro's so they're sticky enough to form balls for cupping and then move onto getting him plumbed up.

So, We're plumbed up. I run him through what we're going to do and what we're not going to do.
Firstly, and most importantly - No hand feeding 6MM Pellets over a 2M area. Actually, No hand feeding at all. Certainly not 6MM pellets. Any food that goes into that peg comes from that cup and that cup alone. We're also only feeling 1 small cup of soaked Micros formed into a ball to get started, We'll slowly introduce a few maggots, maybe a couple of expanders here and there. I explained to him that we're probably not going to get much for the first half hour to 45 minutes so expect that and don't lose faith. Secondly, There is no getting bored and changing spots. We've picked a spot, We're plumbed up, And as soon as we put that first ball of micro's in we're sticking to that spot and that spot only.

He's totally ok with this entire procedure until he see's how little a half palm sized ball of Micro's are. He's looking at me with complete scepticism as I put that first cup of Micro's into his cup and tell him thats it. :ROFLMAO: First chuck, we get a few bites. That's alright sight much more than what he had in his margin on his whip. We don't hook into anything but we're fishing expander. I suspect it's roach and I tell him to switch over to maggots (His maggots were a dead mess or I'd have started on them! - Advised him to put them in water before he next freezes them haha). Anywho, 2 or 3 minutes in and we're getting consistent takes and it's not long before he's on the board with a roach so he's already happy. We have a couple more casts and we're getting consistent bites but he's holding his pole wrong and the strikes aren't efficient enough, I kinda let this fly because I dont want to sound a d*ck. He eventually hooks into a nice Hybrid though and I tell him to feed maybe 4-6 maggots every 2 or 3 fish, Then another small ball of micros every so often. More scepticism looks but he goes with it.

As I told him earlier, We may have to just stick with this cycle for up to an hour before we get anything decent and as expected the bubbling starts and I tell him to be on his game as this is what I want to accomplish; Bream as he never catches them. He bumps a really nice take which I suspect is a bream (Slime on line) and I tell him to just stick with it and not to worry. Another 5 minute passes and he gets another great take, He strikes, elastic comes out 2 or 3 inches and does nothing. Kinda like he snagged something on the bottom.. Then it moves, slowly. I call that it's a bream but then it really fires off so at this point I suspect he's either foul hooked a bream or he's got a Tench, After about 10 seconds it quickly becomes apparent that it's neither. A foul hooked bream would've quickly tired and the movement were just all wrong for a Tench so I tell him to take it easy. After about 45 seconds I've basically confirmed it's a carp from the movements and how much it's ripping his elastic out (12-14 Solid I'd suspect).

So, Here we are. 1 stressing, bluffing moron, 1 desperate, now stressing man who's quickly calling my bluff on what the fish is. A £30 8M Pole, Stock 12-14 Solid Elastic that doesn't feel too cracky,3-4Lb Line to I believe a 2Lb Hooklength and a size 18 hook. Now, Before ya'll start bagging, The rig I gave him was the only one that was usable for the occasion. The pole, the elastic, everything else is what I've been left to work with.

Regardless, We're doing alright. Fish had been on for about 2 or 3 minutes at this point and I'm just trying to calm this fella down. Don't be too eager to get it in, Don't put too much stress on the line. Let it do as it pleases until it tires then we'll work on pressuring it in then. Don't let it hit your left side margin, It's full of weed, Don't let it come to the bank, it's full of weed, We'll net it about 2-3m out. At this point, I'm also guiding the guys movements kneeling at the front of the bank because he's low-key losing it and is really struggling to play it by himself. We have a few close calls with him letting it run into the left side margin but other than that he's doing ok keeping it in the middle of the pond. By about 4 minutes the fish has topped once or twice and we're so close to netting it. The problem is, The fish in this pond fight like crazy, They're wild. They never get caught, And when he see's it's a nice carp he becomes even more nervous. It finally, finally starts to tire after about 6 minutes (I don't usually or like to play them for this long but I wanted to get this one in) and it topped, Shot off, and after about 45 seconds topped again where I finally got it in the net.

Was an 8lb common, Pristine condition like every fish in the pond. Some of the most satisfying to catch fish are in that pond.

He was ecstatic & I was happy for him. Took some pictures for him and released the fish back properly and safely.

Sat with him for the next 20 minutes or so just to run him through what he should do when I've left. He just rambled on about how that made his night and how he's still shaking.

As I left I shouted 'Feed very little and often'

He shouted back 'Alright'

I hope that man goes on to catch some Bream now.

P.S I also learnt that my solid elastic fishing days are long, long gone. :p:p

Long I know, But thought it's worth a share. Really fun little session I had this evening.
Really enjoyed reading that. You sound like a decent chap. I'm sure he (and you) will remember that day for a long time!

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Really enjoyed reading that. You sound like a decent chap. I'm sure he (and you) will remember that day for a long time!

Cool little story I couldn't help but share! Thank you though. He'd just added me on Facebook, Commenting on a friends picture of me holding a fish from a commercial saying thanks for the help today :ROFLMAO: Dont think he realised I've sent him a message with his pictures, I'll have them printed off for him and given to him next time he's about though.

Thanks SUFC!

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Brilliant write up and that's what this sport is all about. Helping each other. Too many are focused on oneself.
Top bloke!

Munchy

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Brilliant write up and that's what this sport is all about. Helping each other. Too many are focused on oneself.
Top bloke!

Munchy

Very true! Had my fair share of generosity from other Anglers though, Just keeping the ball rolling I guess :cool: Seriously though, Super interesting session that made a generally mundane week very worth it. Couldn't help but share it with others. Thanks MunchMyStump!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Really enjoyed reading that, Well done Connor, that's the true spirit of MD's and thanks for sharing it. :upthumb:

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I enjoyed reading that, well done to you Sir. I hope the old guy goes on to win his next match. I think you would make a good coach for youngsters.