An Unexpected Purchase

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
Wandering along in the company of a small black dog this morning,

we went along a road less travelled, mainly because as its not on our regular circuit, but had become part of the journey this day, due to the plastic bag I was carrying and the availability of a closer too than walking all the way back round, council poo bin

just by chance, the pair of us had to traverse the pavements past a curio-secondhand-junk shop (delete title as to your expectations of goods on offer)

halting to peruse the stock displayed in the shop window, nowt much caught my eye until I noticed a small pale coloured hand attached to a thin stick poking out of a vase-jar thing, Hmmm thought your reporter, My knows what that is, and knowing that, an entrance to the emporium was affected

discussions with the proprietor, saw the item retrieved from the display and placed on the counter, an inspection revealed the rod was more than likely a length of stained beech to look like or resemble ebony and the two ends of the said rod had either bone or possibly ivory finials, one of which is shaped as a ball, the other as a miniature human hand, that like myself has had an amputation of one of its digits

renumeration for the said item was discussed and a short period of negotiation ensued, the price was dropped from fantasy, it not being in pristine condition to suitabilty and a note denoting the number of ten of old liz's pounds was offered and three coins taken in exchange

I am now the owner of either a late victorian, early edwardian back scratcher, the dealer now being £7.50 richer but with less stock to utter thus

what a fine thing it is too, being as its now recieved a wash and rub up to reveal some of its former glory

what a handy thing to have

TrickyD

Site Supporter
When you say you washed it, how thoroughly did you wash it ? It's not just backs people scratch with them.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I would have loved to have seen a photo of the item Mick.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
My missus recently bought a couple of back scratchers. They're extendable & have little forks on the end. Fantastic purchase as I'm still suffering with frozen shoulder.