An introduction to fishing a stick float

PearTree

Calder Exile
I came across one of those John Allerton sticks in my tackle box recently, I'd forgotten I even had it. Is the base lignum, it doesn't feel particularly heavy ?

Nice to see a few other classics on your video as well. I grew up in the same era so I've got the same ones in my collection back home.

I remember the old Benny Ashurst sticks but I'm not sure if any of mine survived as I was always breaking them. The other one of a similar vintage that we used on the canal was the Beglow stick, the one with the eye pushed in the bottom of the stem.

MarkW

If the base looks like wood then it's a lignum stick; whether the wood is actually lignum vitae only the manufacturer can tell you. If the float works well don't worry.

PearTree

Calder Exile
I very rarely use anything other than a wire stem stick these days, the exception being the odd occasion when an old Dick Clegg lignum comes out of the box (the one with the 'bulb' at the bottom of the stem).

trotter2

Nice video mark.
I still use wire,lignum,and cane stems all have there uses. Odd time the heavy plastic stems and the lighter plastic stems like the John Dean and Peter Warren .