An Interesting Read ....!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

Just came across this and thought everybody might be interested...

If the following is True then amongst other things what is the point of the "NEW LANDING NET SAGA"

Anglers are finally off the hook: fish feel no pain
By Rajeev Syal
(Filed: 09/02/2003)

Anglers, rest easy. Fish cannot feel pain. Or so the largest study into piscine neurology has concluded.

An academic study comparing the nervous systems and responses of fish and mammals has found that their brains are not sufficiently developed to allow them to sense pain or fear. The findings represent a significant victory for anglers, whose sport has been under attack from animal rights activists buoyed by their success in securing a partial ban on foxhunting.

The study is the work of James D. Rose, a professor of zoology and physiology at the University of Wyoming, who has examined data on animals' responses to pain. His report, published in the American academic journal Reviews of Fisheries Science, concludes that awareness of pain depends on functions of regions of the cerebral cortex which fish do not possess.

Prof Rose, 60, said that previous studies which had indicated that fish can feel pain had confused "nociception" - responding to a threatening stimulus - with feeling pain.

"Pain is predicated on awareness," he said. "The key issue is the distinction between nociception and pain. A person who is anaesthetised in an operating theatre will still respond physically to an external stimulus, but he or she will not feel pain. Anyone who has seen a chicken with its head cut off will know that, while its body can respond to stimuli, it cannot be feeling pain."

Prof Rose added: "There are people who aren't comfortable with my findings, but even those who don't accept them have yet to raise any scientific challenge."

More than two million Britons are anglers, making it the nation's most popular pastime. Rodney Coldron, from the National Federation of Anglers, said that he hoped the new findings would vindicate the sport. "I am glad this report has come out and killed off that silly argument. Fish can obviously become distressed, but anyone that actually goes fishing knows that they don't feel pain in the same way as mammals," he said.

From todays Telegraph on-line

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Won't make a jot of difference mate, for years its been known that fish can't feel pain due to their brains not being developed in the right way.

Still the anti's reckon a fella from Cambridge university has proven that fish do feel pain although he couldn't provide any proof of his research!! hmmmm highly suspicious then eh?

Still at least its one in the balls eye for the anti's [:D]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

EJAYAR

Malc, agree with you there. I think most anglers have had the same ideas and interpretation on the "fish feeling pain" issue for a number of years and I think that a large proportion would re-consider their fishing if there was concrete evidence to the contrary.
As for the nets, again most anglers are thoughtful about what type they use and providing the net causes the minimum of problems for the fish once caught there is no reason to buy a "lily mark" net. (Subject to fishery rules of course)
I think the main reason for the new standard is that along with many thousands of good nets there are still a few "unsuitable" nets being used and the new mark would be a positive indication that new nets purchased were suitable.

martin.

Account Locked
just a note for the younger members who are just starting out & read this although the fish cannot feel pain they still should be treated with care

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Certainly. Even if they can't feel pain, they can certainly sustain damage and that is a silly thing to do if at all avoidable.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.