An hour on the river.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well sometimes I have to question my sanity [:D]

I've just got back after spending an hour stood in the middle of the Wharfe at Pool-in-Wharfedale, soaked to the skin and wondering if I'm right in the head lol

There is a cracking swim which just screams out Chub, overhanging branches, two broken trees and a lovely back eddy. The river has got a bit of colour in it from the rain the other other day and it just begged to be fished.
So off I went with some bits and a rod thrown into the car, accompanied by a bewildered Collie cross Retriever and with all good intentions. Until I got there - it was bouncing it down !!

The heavens had opened up and the rain was pouring down. The chances are everywhere else in Yorkshire it would have been sunny, but no not in my little corner [:)]

Never mind, seeing as how I had ventured this far, I went down to the swim, waded across to the chub hole as I had deemed it, and launched a perfectly shotted stick float straight into the branches of a fallen willow tree. In all my books there's no reference to chub living in trees OUT of the water, so I kinda guessed I wouldn't get a bite there and pulled for a break [:D]

Back to the bank and retackled. The rain was still coming down and was worsening. The dog thought it would be a good idea to roll around in a load of sh#t silt before launching itself off the bank into the water. Must have thought it was going to get wet anyway so why wait lol

New float on and back out I went, this time a perfect cast, straight into the slack. I lifted the rod high to keep the line out of the flow and tried for a bite, nothing. So I let it catch the current and worked it down the swim, stopping it occasionally to manouvre it around a few sunken branches. Still nothing.

And that's basically how it went for the hour. Feeding, casting, and working the swim without a touch.
By this time the sanity warning level was at about danger level, you know the point, when you start to think the missus is right and you're not all there after all [:D][8D]

So go on one more cast then we'll head back home - and you've guessed it, straight into the tree again lol. My mind was made up, back to the car we went and lets head back home.

Never take a dog with you fishing, could it be because they want to go in the water? could it be because they have a habit of wandering off? Nope - it's because you open a window whilst you're driving for them and forget to shut it afterwards when you park up. The back seat of the car is soaking wet [B)] But at least the car was still there so I suppose that's something lol

Ah well, one hour's fishing and three to dry my gear lol [:D]

Here's the swim on a better day, taken a couple of weeks ago:

Datafile3.jpg

Dave Datafile2.gif

Last edited:

Beebs

But it's always worth it though, Dave!!! I've started leaving my lure rod in the car, taking it to work with me and wandering up the canal during my lunchtime. If nothing else it gets me out of work for a little while.

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day, so I wandered up to find 5 people in the bay I wanted to fish in so I wandered a little further up the path and lobbed my lure about for about 1/2 hour for 1 jack pike, about 10 inches long and in a right bad mood. But still more than I would have caught in work!! [:D]

The23rdMan

Armchair Angler
Awwwwww, mate! Great story. And I bet even though you had to go through all that it was better than an hour spent in with the missus...Um, I think I should have thought about that a bit longer. How long you been together?[;)]

Deano

TINY

Tiny
What a cracking looking swim Dave[:D]
The only thing I would have done differently is put bait on my hook,lol.[;)][:D][:D]

Andy.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thank's Dave,
Cheered me up no end after a hard day at work.[:D][:D][:D][;)]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

martin.

Account Locked
well dave at least you tried
i went down this afternoon for an hour for some roachfor deadbait tommorrow well i got about 20, 8 ihad to put back they were to big i also got a bonus

caught on single pinkie on 22, 2 pegs up from where dai caught his still its another 3 points.
and it was only a little drizzle occasionally so i didnt even put brolly up

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

G

Dave punish yourself but not the dog, your round the bend mate, utterly round the eddy,[;)][;)].

Always worth a cast or three mate,

Tell you what Dave that stretch looks like a stretch on the River Wear, close to Lord Lambtons castle[:0][:0][:0][:0]

catch me if u can
Andy,

carpbob3

dave do me a favour dont make your tales so funny i could hardly read it for the tears streaming down my face......

if your not fishing your not living

Lid

Fun write up Dave. Gave me a laugh at work. Cheers.

A friend of mine fished the Lea just before Christmas. He caught 11 chub and 2 perch in two hours on the float. They were all practically trying to jump in his net. Then it started to rain and the bites stopped immediately!!?

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Brilliant Dave,[:D][:D][:D]

teepee.

Last edited:

ANDYJL1964

Top Story Dave[:)]

Do I hear the clarion call of " bring on the Summer sunshine"?[8D]

TIGHT LINES TO ONE AND ALL, YOU WILL CATCH FISH BE THEY BIG OR SMALL,