An evening on the Wharfe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just got back home after a few hours on the River Wharfe chasing a few Barbel

initially I went to my usual stretch, the day ticket section known as Newton Khyme. However the farmer has put a locked barrier across the track down to the river and I didn't fancy a 1/2mile hike just to get to the riverside, followed by another 1/4 mile to what was favourite stretch [:(!]

So off I went and drove around for a while before deciding to head off to an old hunting ground of mine.
I arrived and parked up around about 7:00pm then trecked across a few fields until I finally managed to get to where I wanted to be.

Fighting tackle was two 1.5lb test curve rods, baitrunner reels, 8lb mainline to a 20g flat lead, and 8lb flourocarbon hook lengths to size 12 Guru hooks, the circular ones [:D]

Bait was small cubes of Sainsbury's chopped ham and pork and the hook was pulled into the meat enough to bed the shank and eye of the hook in it.

The river was at least a foot below normal level and I could see traces of weeds against the bottom. The water was flowing through but not at any fantastic rate, however it did look promising [:T]

First cast in with the baits about 6ft apart across to the far side willows and bang the left hand rod buried it's tip towards the water [^]

Result #1 - A Barbel around the 5lb mark [:T]

Shortly after another Barbel succumbed to my charms, followed by another and yet another - three in an hour and half [^]

It went quiet for a while so I loose fed some small chunks of meat in some PVA stocking attached to the lead clips.
The right hand rod tip wobbled a bit but not the same as the previous Barbel rattles that preluded a more savage bite.
Then it knocked and I struck into a nice Chub of 2lb

Soon after the left hand rod tip once again buried itself and Barbel number four was on and heading into the net - eventually lol.
River Barbel don't half know how to fight and these ones looked like they hadn't seen an angler in a long while.

9:30pm came and the light was starting to fade so I was toying with the idea of packing up when the left hand rod once again rattled, followed by a shudder, then the tip headed southwards as once again I lifted into a Barbel, this one being the biggest of the five at 6lb 4oz

An awesome evening, less than three hours in the water, 5 Barbel between 4lb & 6lb 2oz and a 2lb Chub - yeeha [:T]

A couple of photos:

bd1.jpg

bd2.jpg

Peezartiste

Well done Boss.
Brings back good memories of the Wharfe. Caught my first barbel there in the early 80's at Boston Spa. At the time it was the biggest fish I had ever caught. It weighed in at 3/12 lb.
Down here in Somerset, I don't know of any rivers where you can find them. A few still waters have them, got a 2lb at the Sedges last month.

Ricky24

Rich
Well done mate, just a couple of weeks until back on the Trent for these myself. Cracking result!!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well, after last nights result I went back there tonight with Stu to see what else we could catch.
Unfortunately the wind was blowing a hooligan straight downstream and it looked like someone had been there during the day as there was traces of green swimstim on the ground.
Presentation was near on impossible with the wind despite using 20g weights , and loose feeding was out of the question as the wind was blustery - that's our excuses and we're sticking with them lol

However, Stu managed a new Pb Chub of bang on 4lb, I managed a smaller one of approx 1.5lb, so we didn't blank [:p]

We had a few bites between us but again bites were hard to detect with the blustery wind, saying that just before we left I had a massive wrap round that resulted in a bust hooklength - 8lb flourocarbon [:0]

They're in there cap'n and I'll be back [:D]

bluemack

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Peezartiste

Well done Boss.
Brings back good memories of the Wharfe. Caught my first barbel there in the early 80's at Boston Spa. At the time it was the biggest fish I had ever caught. It weighed in at 3/12 lb.
Down here in Somerset, I don't know of any rivers where you can find them. A few still waters have them, got a 2lb at the Sedges last month.
the bristol avon cant be too far from you, can it.?

ben306

Well done,

I fished the Newton Kyme section over the weekend, its longer than half a mile walk haha.

Where abouts did you fish if you dont mind me asking (PM me if you want)

Ive just posted my own report up

Peezartiste

Originally posted by bluemack

Originally posted by Peezartiste

Well done Boss.
the bristol avon cant be too far from you, can it.?

Didn't know the Bristol Avon would have them. Thought it would be too slow. Thanks for info, will investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.