An evening at Kingsnordley

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I decided to have an impromptu evening session from 3 till 7 after I did my job today. It’s a 10 minute drive from my house and has around 11 pools to choose from set in beautiful countryside with horses grazing just behind you.

It’s not a bagging venue so it's never going to be the most interesting write up there, that is unless I hooked ‘The Bulldog’, a 30lb Carp that resides in Nesta’s pool, the pool I fished today. In fact, last time I fished here was just at the start of lockdown and I blanked. But it was fishing well again today. I was the only person fishing the small Nesta’s pool.

I fished a crystal waggler down the edge on 4lb Maxima to a 0.14 Stroft hooklength and size 14 Kamasan Animal hook on my Tricast Excellence rod. Feeding 4mm Coppens pellets and Sweetcorn with Corn on the hook, it was a nice cheap and quick session with no trip to the tackle shop required.

I was into fish from the start, and ended up with a modest 15 or so Carp for around 60lb total weight. Not bad I don’t think as when it’s fishing hard you can win matches there with that.

Nothing else showed apart from the Carp. Sometimes you get nice Roach and Skimmers there, but all in all a nice pleasant evening. Pictured are an example Common and Mirror below.

2020-09-22 15.48.23.jpg 2020-09-22 19.03.10.jpg

It will probably be my last session there this year as I imagine the fishing will take a hit as the temperatures start to drop from now on, but it was nice to make use of a fishery just down the road from me before it does. (y)

Total

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo.....Nice session and photos pal....;).....Have only ever fished there once on an impromptu visit when the Severn was out of sorts one year when staying in Bridgnorth....The B&B owners put us on to the place....Beautiful setting and definitely not an easy venue, but lovely fishing if you can get it half right...(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo.....Nice session and photos pal....;).....Have only ever fished there once on an impromptu visit when the Severn was out of sorts one year when staying in Bridgnorth....The B&B owners put us on to the place....Beautiful setting and definitely not an easy venue, but lovely fishing if you can get it half right...(y)

Can you remember which lake you fished? I like the smaller pools there. It's nice fishing. The peg I fished today, there's an undercut bank which makes for good margin fishing. There's a bit of a mix there really, speci Carp on some lakes along with Sturgeon. My dad follows the facebook page and always tells me about the fish that come out.

Total

Site Supporter
Can you remember which lake you fished? I like the smaller pools there. It's nice fishing.......

I seem to recall it was one of the match pool, possibly 'Sheepwash?' :unsure: Long time ago...:oops:....The whole area around Bridgnorth and the fabulous River Severn have always been a favourite area of ours.... I've many good friends who live in the area and hope to get back when this awful covid situation lets us....Be safe pal...(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I seem to recall it was one of the match pool, possibly 'Sheepwash?' :unsure: Long time ago...:oops:....The whole area around Bridgnorth and the fabulous River Severn have always been a favourite area of ours.... I've many good friends who live in the area and hope to get back when this awful covid situation lets us....Be safe pal...(y)

Hopefully you find the Severn in order too and enjoy your next trip. Need a nice long holiday to get to fish everywhere as I don’t manage it living round here. (y)

There’s quite a few places to fish around Bridgnorth isn’t there, aside from the Severn. Sheepwash is probably one of the best pools there but I’ve only fished it once. Never got round to fishing Boldings either. Only fished this relatively hidden gem called Hurst Farm once, that’s 20’ deep and full of ‘Crucians’.

Total

Site Supporter
Hopefully you find the Severn in order too and enjoy your next trip. Need a nice long holiday to get to fish everywhere as I don’t manage it living round here. (y)

There’s quite a few places to fish around Bridgnorth isn’t there, aside from the Severn. Sheepwash is probably one of the best pools there but I’ve only fished it once. Never got round to fishing Boldings either. Only fished this relatively hidden gem called Hurst Farm once, that’s 20’ deep and full of ‘Crucians’.

There are plenty of places around Bridgnorth.....As you say, Boldings a short car ride away just through the Bridgnorth 'Old Town' towards the golf course. Plenty of pools to choose from another enjoyable place to fish.....Monkhall Fishery, a bit further out towards Monkhopton also worth a visit.

We go to Bridgnorth to fish the Severn, but obviously, if the river isn't fishable or conditions are not right the venues above offer some respite to fish.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There are plenty of places around Bridgnorth.....As you say, Boldings a short car ride away just through the Bridgnorth 'Old Town' towards the golf course. Plenty of pools to choose from another enjoyable place to fish.....Monkhall Fishery, a bit further out towards Monkhopton also worth a visit.

We go to Bridgnorth to fish the Severn, but obviously, if the river isn't fishable or conditions are not right the venues above offer some respite to fish.

Do you have any favourite stretches of the Severn to fish? BAA card or dayticket?

I live just south of Bridgnorth in Stourbridge so just down the A458 which is the road Kingsnordley is off and that opens up my options even more, which is why I haven't got round to fishing them yet, have my two favourites in the area, Bells Mill (5 minutes from me) and Furnace Mill (30 mins from me in the Wyre Forest just past Bewdley). But Hurst Farm seems spot on for the Crucian fishing when I get round to it again. :)

Total

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo.....We mainly fish around the Severn in Bridgnorth itself....In Low Town, imagine yourself standing on the bridge looking upstream....On the right hand side bank in the distance, aprox' 500 yards ahead you'll see a large white house on a raised area above the normal properties along there. This was the place we used to regularly B&B in when up there. Sadly the couple who run it are now well retired but they do let out their frontage on the Severn to day tickets. Approximately 9 swims available with comfortable access via stairs down to the waters edge. A very polite enquiry to the house there will get you sorted. But please be aware, he is very fussy who he lets fish there and he doesn't take any nonsense what so ever! We've been good friends for many years. Further upstream there's the rugby ground etc, I think on the Bridgnorth AS card, no day tickets available, although that may have changed

Downstream from the Low town Bridge you have the 'Butchers section' which can be very good, free fishing too. If you pop into the only angling fishing shop in Bridgnorth just across the bridge towards High Town, behind the 'Bandon Arms' pub, the owner will give you all the info' for the surrounding area and some day tickets are available there too for places such as 'Berts' stretch etc etc

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info @Total. My brother in law works in Bridgnorth and has tried to tell me about the town stretches there before, must check them out!